OK, Now I'm Mad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

Reaction score
Went launching with my girls.

Arrive at the park to find all the fields empty.

We set up, launch a few rockets, then in pulls Mr. Soccer Coach.

Proceeds to unload 30 soccer balls and 2 nets and starts setting up the net about 20 feet from where we are launching.

Now you have to understand, this park is right next to a school and between the two there are probably the equivalent of 15 athletic fields. The only people on any of them were me and my girls.

Kind of like going to the movie theater, being the only person there, and then having 10 people come in and sit to either side and in the front and back of you.

"Excuse me," I say, "I just want to let you know we're launching model rockets here and it's probably not a good idea to set up so close."

"But we always set up here."

"Right," I said, "but if you set up right over there (pointing about 200 feet away) then all the kids can still see you when they get here and they won't be in any danger."

"Right," I said, "but it's not safe today, because we're launching model rockets here."

"Right," I said, "but one of us is going to have to make sure the kids you're responsible for are safe, and what you're telling me is it's apparently not going to be you."

"Well, this is where we always set up."

So the girls and I packed up all our stuff and went home. We could have moved to another part of the field but I was just too mad to have any more fun. :mad:

My kids play soccer, and I'm really grateful to all the moms and dads who take the time to coach. But this guy was just such an idiot.

You can try your best to stay away, but odds are that you will still run into them from time to time. Try to take a small measure of comfort in the knowledge that the really stupid and/or belligerent ones will probably cancel themselves out someday after engaging in some unwise activity. You know, Darwin Awards and that sort of thing.

Sorry you had the experience.

Nasty ideas come to mind, largely involving pushing a BP motor up his van's exhaust pipe, but no, bad idea. Better stick with the traditional potato. :D

I'd suggest informing the group of soccer parents that their coach has no regard for their kids' safety, but that could bring people to the conclusion that rocketry = dangerous. It might be safe to advise the parents that their kids aren't going to learn human relations skills from their supposed role-model...

I'd just like to chime in: I usually don't have too many problems with the field situations. I go to a high school that has eight soccer to football to baseball fields adjacent to each other (not bragging). It is when I decide I should launch my custom rocket cars; problems arise. Specifically: I'll be in the far the corner trying to use as little as space as possible. Little did I know the latest fad seems to be pocket bikes and choppers. They are little 50cc versions of crotch rockets and choppers. I'd forgot to mention this particular parking lot is directly connected to two others and numerous bike paths. Anyway, I don't mind spectators, I actually encourage them. It's just when they have ALL that SPACE; they still decide to drive over my tether, literal inches from my cars, and not heeding any of my warnings or request to flares nerves that shouldn't, and I pack up and go home.
It's really sad too. I may sound bitter, but isn't a hobby something you do at leisure? To relax, or for enjoyment? When this is ruined then it is no longer a hobby it's disappointment.
So Gus, besides my story of resent. It sounds like the real victims here are your daugters I hope they weren't too upset.
I know that ignorance, inconcetration, and selfishness are some of the hardest things to cure in this world. I sad thing is they're all personal choice.

Ed

Most parks ("Parks Departments") require a written permit for an organized activity such as a soccer club or league. Also if they rope off a large section of a public park they prevent others from using the park. The standard procedure is to get a "use permit" and pay whatever fees are required and obtain whatever insurance is required.

The same goes for Model Rocket launching. If YOU claim a large chunk of park for your own and tell folks they cannot enter your area because it is not 'safe' (i.e. you will endanger them), then that is going to become a problem at some point.

We run Model Rocket launches in a large public park. We do so with permits, insurance and we are open to anyone from the general public who follows the NAR MRSC and has their rockets inspected for obvious safety problems.

I have seen other parks in other states where they just are not very crowded, so the parks department issues model rocket launching permits for free or for $5 a year and gives you the "OK" to launch in a certain location. That's what we did back in the good old days on Long Island when we could launch at Mitchell Field - we got our permits from the park office at Eisenhower Park located nearby.

Originally posted by Gus
Went launching with my girls.

Others have made good points regarding getting a permit, if this park has one to issue and I would go out of my way to get one and make sure I was there the next time he showed up. Another good point was made which should be noted... try to never combine the words rocketry and dangerous as it doesn't paint a good picture.

As far as the coach goes, well I would have held my ground, but that is just me. I actually am very tactful in these situations and have been fortunate enough to make the other people change...maybe I am a bit stubborn...not sure. I have noted to others though that by parking so close they are interfering with established NFPA safety codes and they would be held accountable. IF they ask, I would give them details of the codes, which usually confuses them causing them to move.

Howwever, you did the best, cool headed thing you could have done Gus, you left quietly. I commend you for the self control I may not have had in such a situation and thank you for representing the hobby in such a positive light...well done!

Carl

Gus,

Sorry about your field (i.e. JERK) problems. He sort of reminded me of Monk (TV show about an anal retentive private eye) when he poured the coffe from one pot into another..."Now they are even"..."but one is decaf and one is regular"...Yea, but now they're even." But you don't understand. You mixed them."..."But, now they're even."

You gotta admit it, Gus, we do have a great field up here...except for the 7' high corn!

sandman

Originally posted by CTulanko

I actually am very tactful in these situations and have been fortunate enough to make the other people change...maybe I am a bit stubborn...not sure.

"Speak softly and carry a BIG reloadable motor casing"-- CTulanko

CTimm

"Speak softly and carry a BIG reloadable motor casing"

Yeah, the whole problem might have been moot if you had launched a White Lightning or Smokey Sam reload while the parents were there to notice. Then you could explain to the parents that the coach refused to stay sufficiently far away from the toy rockets and that they should talk to him about following the safety rules ;-)

Originally posted by DJ Delorie
Yeah, the whole problem might have been moot if you had launched a White Lightning or Smokey Sam reload while the parents were there to notice. Then you could explain to the parents that the coach refused to stay sufficiently far away from the toy rockets and that they should talk to him about following the safety rules ;-)

With the paranoia about terrorism, etc., I'd go real easy about making ominous statements and explanations about how far people have to stay away from anybody doing rocketry activities.

All it takes is one bent-out-of-shape soccer mommy to call the cops or parks department, etc. in a shrieking fit, and we could find ourselves out of business completely.

But Gus, I feel your pain. I know the soccer moms around here... :rolleyes:

I'd go real easy about making ominous statements and explanations about how far people have to stay away from anybody doing rocketry activities.

For Gus to be "in the right", he must himself follow proper procedures. That means getting permission to use the field, establishing a safety perimeter, and informing bystanders and spectators as to the safety rules. If it were me, after informing Mr Coach of the safety rules, and the risks of not following them, I'd inform him that the risks are now his and launch anyway. I'd, of course, inform each parent as they arrived to stay outside the safety perimeter. I wouldn't be ominous about it, but I would expect them to obey the safety rules, and a big rocket demo (probably launched by one of the kids) would help emphasize the need for safety rules.

Based on the limited story details, I'm guessing Gus didn't get permission to use that specific field. I know that our local teams have scheduled time on specific fields at each park, and they can't just switch fields. In that case, the coach saying "we always set up here" means he had permission to use that field, and Gus did not.

Originally posted by DJ Delorie
For Gus to be "in the right", he must himself follow proper procedures. That means getting permission to use the field, establishing a safety perimeter, and informing bystanders and spectators as to the safety rules. If it were me, after informing Mr Coach of the safety rules, and the risks of not following them, I'd inform him that the risks are now his and launch anyway. I'd, of course, inform each parent as they arrived to stay outside the safety perimeter. I wouldn't be ominous about it, but I would expect them to obey the safety rules, and a big rocket demo (probably launched by one of the kids) would help emphasize the need for safety rules.

Based on the limited story details, I'm guessing Gus didn't get permission to use that specific field. I know that our local teams have scheduled time on specific fields at each park, and they can't just switch fields. In that case, the coach saying "we always set up here" means he had permission to use that field, and Gus did not.

Well I think Gus came down to the fields, saw 16 open fields with nobody, at all, anywhere on the fields, and figured it was OK to go launch some rockets. Then Mr. Soccer Coach arrives and decides he's going to run his soccer practice right there on that particular spot, that he can't move even one field down to any one of the other 14 vacant fields.

There isn't much you can do about it, because Mr. Soccer Coach has a permit and you don't, but that doesn't mean Mr. Soccer Coach isn't a knob.

I *don't care* who had "permission" to be there. That coach was a nimrod.

Make any case you want, explain both sides of the story, whater - *I don't care.*

Gus, I'd be PO'd too.

well I don't know who had permission, but in the future may I suggest that anybody should not take for granted that it is ok to launch model rockets in any city or state park. There may be rules and regulations for that activity to be allowed. I know there are some places in this country where you just cannot go into a park and start shooting up rockets, while there are places that could care less. Here we went to the head of the city parks and recreation dept and asked if it would be ok to launch model rockets and was told, as long long as they are radio controlled....seems they had a bad experience with large radio controlled airplanes that used to be flown there...

This park is a multi use park, with zillions of soccer fields, a outdoor inline skating hockey rink, horse riding trails,etc so we all have to get along with one another. I might add that I always carry with me a copy of the state law here that exempts model rockets along with copies of the nfpa codes(1122/27) just in case law or fire enforcement officials want to get rowdy with me......

All I am trying to say is if these fields were property of the school system then they are private property and you should get permission also to use the property. You can't take for granted that nobody may care; you could be charged with trespass.....

I know I'm paranoid but I keep having this very bad nightmare about going to jail for launching model rockets legally...........

Interesting feedback.

I've been launching at the same location for 5 years now.

Never, ever, had a problem there.

No one has ever asked for a permit and the grounds people have seen me launch plenty of times.

There are so many fields there that I can almost always find one empty. On occasion I do decide NOT to launch because of too much activity, wind direction, etc.

What was so annoying about this situation is that ALL the fields were empty. Every single one of them. It was like I was the only person on the planet and this goofball decides to set up camp right on top of me. Not nearby, but right on top of me. Honestly, I could have played goalie and used my launch controller at the same time.

As for my girls, they were mad, and had a number of creative suggestions. ;)

But I explained that it was still our job to act responsibly, even if the coach didn't.

Originally posted by Gus
But I explained that it was still our job to act responsibly, even if the coach didn't.
Kudos to you for that!! ;)

Originally posted by Fore Check
I *don't care* who had "permission" to be there. That coach was a nimrod.

Make any case you want, explain both sides of the story, whater - *I don't care.*

Gus, I'd be PO'd too.

I think after the first repeat answer I think I would have said...."
So, you really don't want the kids to set up here anyway. They just finished spreading weed and pest killer here and they told us to make sure nobody uses this field until they get back with the "Warning, Poison" signs. So, you should go over to that field (point) and set up this time OK? Then hand him a cookie and send him on his way.

Thats a good one!
We were launching & a coach starts to set up baseball just where we are launching for the last hour. After one launch he says that we should move! Well my friend told him we WERE here first(rest of the large field was empty & the diamond was way over the other side!) But all he said was move, well being the nice kind of guys we are, we moved-10 yards! He got the dirft & started to move. We tried to be nice but some times you have to draw the line! To make him even madder, the baseball palyers started to watch us launch & got into it! WAY COOL as my son says!

Monk is not "anal retentive". He is "Obsessive Compulsive".

Originally posted by sandman
Gus,

Sorry about your field (i.e. JERK) problems. He sort of reminded me of Monk (TV show about an anal retentive private eye) when he poured the coffe from one pot into another..."Now they are even"..."but one is decaf and one is regular"...Yea, but now they're even." But you don't understand. You mixed them."..."But, now they're even."

You gotta admit it, Gus, we do have a great field up here...except for the 7' high corn!

sandman

https://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/care.html

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
well I don't know who had permission, but in the future may I suggest that anybody should not take for granted that it is ok to launch model rockets in any city or state park. There may be rules and regulations for that activity to be allowed. I know there are some places in this country where you just cannot go into a park and start shooting up rockets, while there are places that could care less. Here we went to the head of the city parks and recreation dept and asked if it would be ok to launch model rockets and was told, as long long as they are radio controlled....seems they had a bad experience with large radio controlled airplanes that used to be flown there...

This park is a multi use park, with zillions of soccer fields, a outdoor inline skating hockey rink, horse riding trails,etc so we all have to get along with one another. I might add that I always carry with me a copy of the state law here that exempts model rockets along with copies of the nfpa codes(1122/27) just in case law or fire enforcement officials want to get rowdy with me......

All I am trying to say is if these fields were property of the school system then they are private property and you should get permission also to use the property. You can't take for granted that nobody may care; you could be charged with trespass.....

I know I'm paranoid but I keep having this very bad nightmare about going to jail for launching model rockets legally...........

Maybe that's "anal retentive"...LOL:D

Besides...anal retentive sounds funnier than obsessive compulsive.

Remember this! Even paranoid people have enemies.

sandman

Maybe you should call the Psychiatric Hot Line!

If you're Obsessive Compulsive, press 1 repeatedly.

If you're Co-Dependent, have someone press 2 for you.

If you have Multiple Personalities, press 3, 4, and 5.

If you're Paranoid, don't press anything, we know who you are.

If you're Schizophrenic, a little voice will tell you which number to press.

If you're Manic Depressive, it doesn't matter which number you press, no one will answer.

What a jackas* that coach was! No matter where you go thats empty , some idiot will always get in your way :rolleyes: If anyone does that same thing again , just ask if they have permission to use that spot to practice ect , if not explain that you have as much right as they do to be there.
Karl

Well, if Mr. Soccer Coach pulls up with a van load of kids, soccer nets, 30 soccer balls, and other parents start dropping their kids off too, it's a pretty good guess he actually is authorized to use the soccer fields.

As part of the nationwide communist plot to shove the pantywaist game of soccer ;) down the throats of the American public, yuppie soccer coaches are among the most sacred cows to local rec departments and school athletic departments. So you can bet they are going to side with Mr. Soccer Coach.

Gus said, normally, he would have moved down a couple of fields, except this dude was such a jackazz he just got too steamed up to do it. We can all relate. But probably the most prudent decision is just to leave Mr. Soccer Coach alone. Some men, you just can't reach.

I commend you for keeping your cool. If he had a permit for 'that specific' field in the park then there's nothing you can do. The only thing I would have done would be to move to the adjacent field and launch the biggest, loudest, white lightening or black jack motors. The kids wouldn't have been practicing as they would have been too busy watching the 'cool' rockets launch! That would have pissed him off and there wouldn't be anything he could do about it. But above all keep your cool. We all have to remember that we are representing our hobby and those that are ignorant to the hobby think they our rockets can be used for terrorist activies.

Pete

launch the biggest, loudest, white lightening or black jack motors

LOL! I know the field Gus flys in...THAT would not be a good idea!

He did the right thing...his mind is probably full of "I should have saids" but he did the right thing.

Youve heard of "road rage", this could have turned into "flying flield rage".

I'm glad he vented here and not at the field!

sandman

I try hard to stay away from the local soccer fields. They don't own the land (one soccer area is on Army Corps of Engineers land, and another soccer area is on Ft Worth city property) but they water it and mow it and fuss over keeping the grass pretty, and they fence it off and lock the gates. If you jump the fence to get inside there to do *anything* (even just to walk on the grass) the police will usually show up and chase you out.

But I think the guy still acted like a jerk.

Originally posted by powderburner
I try hard to stay away from the local soccer fields. They don't own the land (one soccer area is on Army Corps of Engineers land, and another soccer area is on Ft Worth city property) but they water it and mow it and fuss over keeping the grass pretty, and they fence it off and lock the gates. If you jump the fence to get inside there to do *anything* (even just to walk on the grass) the police will usually show up and chase you out.

But I think the guy still acted like a jerk.

This must happen all over the world. Is there something about soccer geeks that makes them inherently anal? What is it, something about the tradition of the game?

In my old home town, they're trying to get a NAR section together and they're looking for a place to fly. There's a public park (owned and operated by the taxpayers of the county) which would be great - 8 soccer fields in a checkerboard pattern. But of course it's all fenced in and the Soccer Nazis all leap to their feet in a screaming rage if anyone even floats the idea of anyone using the fields for any non-soccer purposes.

It's not like anybody is proposing to push the soccer kiddies out of the way - the idea is that a rocket club could go and launch there when nobody else is using it. But no, no, no, no, the Soccer Gods won't put up with that. They don't want anybody on their fields doing anything but soccer, EVER.

Apparently an RC airplane club went to the county commission meeting and asked about it and some of the soccer mamas got up in a huge huff and announced: "The Greenfields Soccer Complex (or whatever its name is, i forget) is NEVER to be used for any purpose other than soccer."

This is publicly-owned land, remember. Owned by the taxpayers of the county. The soccer organization doesn't own it -- they don't even pay the county any rent.

:rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes: :mad:

Back