OK I give in- I need a kit...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul

Reaction score
OK everyone. After some thought I have decided to build a mid power rocket from a kit. I was going to build a mid power scale model of the AIM 120 from scratch but I have realized that there is much I dont know and a kit would help rather then trying to figure it out by myself. So what are some good moderatly priced mid power kits that would get me into it a let me continue to design my own again?

-Paul

PS. Going to a kit doesnt make me any less of a rocketeer!

Originally posted by Paul
PS. Going to a kit doesnt make me any less of a rocketeer!
You're right! Kits are great. However, the answer to your question is many and varied. You'll get many responses from people based on their preferences. What kind of rockets do you like? I gather from your previous posts, that you like scale rockets but, do you also like futuristic, sport flyers, etc...? Public Missiles always has some really nice kits. My level 1 rocket was a BSD Diablo. The Diablo is an inexpensive rocket that is easy to build and fun to fly. I'm sure you'll get many other responses to this question.

Well as far as my preferences go, I do like scale rockets, as well as large rockets. One thing I would really like to get into it Cluster rockets. Im not much for multiple stage rockets though. If people would just give me there thoughts I can check out what is available near me and what I think looks good.
-Paul

What is the meaning of Life?

It does depend on what you want to get out of it. Some just like to watch and hear them fly. Others prefer the pleasure that comes from building a rocket from the ground up. Then there is the middle of the road, kit building so you can get a little bit of both.

Building a few different kits will give you insight to several techniques of fin mounting, motor mounts, etc. You can also get an idea of what a stable rocket looks and feels like.

Yes I have been building and designing rockets for a while and have a good feel of stabability. I just want to get into mid power from low power. I mainly now just want pure suggestions on good kits (and warnings about bad kits would be nice to) What are some of your favorites?

-Paul

:echo: My fav kit is the Mustang. :echo:

Check out https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/ Their kits tend to be the Cadillac of the kits. You do pay a premium for them though, and in my opinion it is worth it. The Mustang can be built in a day and I think it is a scale model, right scale model guys? I don't really care for scale I just like the Mustang.

Paul,

Another option is The Launch Pad kits...they are more of a builder, since you have to cut the fins from balsa sheets using supplied templates, but it's very satisfying once you complete one. Also, they are all priced around the $20 - $25 range, which makes them very reasonable. They just recently started shipping again and Ross at Magnum Rockets, <a href="https://www.magnumrockets.com">www.magnumrockets.com</a>, has alot of them in. Their line specialty is Scale Military Missiles in the mid-power range, from D-F Motors. I own several of them and they are fun kits to build and fly.

Good Luck with your decision,

Carl

Don't some of the Launch Pad kits still come with cluster motor mounts?

There are many pros and cons between kit-building and scratch-building. Kit designs are proven designs and the parts all come ready [or mostly ready] for you to add glue and assemble in less time. With a scratch-built design, you can do more to make it your own design and not someone else's.

The Launch Pad is a good place to start. Also, take a look at some of the THOY [Rocket R&D] kits; they feature fins that glue to the motor tube and cable mounted shock cords.

Originally posted by gothique_97
Don't some of the Launch Pad kits still come with cluster motor mounts?

Yes, some do. :) Some of them can be converted either way.

TLP kits are very cool, especially if you're into the building part. I'm still working on my Sparrow, and it has been challenging. They are very customizable as well.

Mid-power cluster kit:

Try the THOY SNIPE 3 x 24mm
Look at Aardvark's TRIOPSIS 1 x 29mm + 3 x 24mm

My 1st Mid-Power was a PML Callisto and also was my Level 1 rocket. The Binder Diablo is a lot of fun too.

I enjoy kits! A lot! But after a while a couple scratch builds are nice. Check this out: Big Blue Dog

If you like it I would be willing to kit it for you, in fact it is already done as I bought enough to build two but I've moved on to two new projects. The instructions are on the Website.

BTW, not to take anything away from this forum, which I support, but you should go do a search on my site EMRR

Search on "cluster mpr"

the mpr stands for mpr, so you may want to do hpr instead.

Or search on "scale mpr"

Kits are the first step toward success....faster!

- Nick

the mpr stands for mpr, so you may want to do hpr instead.

Opps, that would be Mid-Power Rocketry (mpr) verses High-Power Rocketry (hpr)

Regards,
Nick

Check this out: Big Blue Dog
Hey that looks pretty good, maybe Ill try and build one, modified of coarse. But first I will get a MPR kit. Im gonna travel to a larger hobbby shop then the one I usualy go to and see what kits they have available. Thanks for the advice! If u still have suggestions keep them coming!

-Paul

Well before you try to build the big one, try your hand at the small one:

Reg Dog

I had a lot of fun with this little rocket and it finally met it's end when I stepped on it after flying on 2 Apogee C10's!

Someday, I'll build another one like it.

Nick

Ask 10 different rocketeers about a good mid-power rocket you will probably get 10 different answers. My first mid-power was an Aerotech HV Arcas but I think my favorite kits tend to be LOC/Precision. My Aura is work-horse. I built it stock about 8 years ago and it is still flying today.

As mentioned before it all depends on your preferences. There many good kits available from a variety of manufacturers with good customer service.

I would recommend reviewing the EMRR site (See Nick's reply). There is a lot of good information on the site providing pros and cons of the various kit.

Yes I suppose ur right. I just wanted to see what people had to say on the subject, ultimatly it is my choice though. Thanks for the advice. I let u know how it goes.
-Paul

My Aura is work-horse. I built it stock about 8 years ago and it is still flying today.

Good job on your Aura.... many, many people report fin problems (self included). I liked my Aura but lost when ejection didn't occur once. It had a $35 Reload Casing stuck in it! Arg!

Nick

I did have a fin snap off last winter. It crashed into a frozen corn stalk.

It was well below freezing and I had some igniter problems. It took about 30 - 45 minutes to get the thing to launch. At ejection the streamer came out but it descended VERY quickly. Upon inspection it looked like half of the streamer BROKE off! I think it sat in cold so long the streamer got stiff and then the force of the ejection tore it off. Never seen anything like it.

Originally posted by Tony
My Aura is work-horse. I built it stock about 8 years ago and it is still flying today.

Its interesting; the ones you build stock, or nearly stock, are the ones that turn out to be your "workhorses". Usually, we modify kits to improve performance or durability. Perhaps, after doing that, we fly them on ridiculous motors that destroy the rocket [insert failure mode here] or put it in a tree [insert colorful language here]. The ones we build stock, meanwhile, last longer because we don't push the limits with them, and they come back for more flights.

Anyone else willing to go along with this logic?

Originally posted by gothique_97

Anyone else willing to go along with this logic?

Never thought about it but it sure sounds logical. I'm in!

I agree, and will add a corollary:

The nicer the paint job, the greater the chance of loss or damage.

(The list of corollaries is huge ...)

:p

Pushing a rocket to the limit makes it more fun though. U just gotta be careful- the limit is a fine line, its easy to step over.

-Paul

Back