Ok...i Admit...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steward

Reaction score

Apparently, my stock Estes "PHOENIX" is way to heavy...I knew it was getting that way as I was building it (in the name of durability)... but never suspected what happened yesterday...!!!
Launched on a D12 5, it only gained about 150 ft before it nose dived...The chute ejected about 50ft and made a really hard landing....Popped a fin off... That can be repaired easy enough.
So...if the weight is that big of a problem...what engine could I find to fly it? What's the next level up?...that will fit in the 24mm mount? Isn't there a AEROTECH (?) that would work?
Help guys...I do admit I'm not neccesarily the sharpest rocket scientist in my house...LOL

As always...THANKS...!!!

Steward,

Aerotech:

single-use: E15, E30, F21

reloadable: E18, F24, F39...

Any Aerotech 24mm composite will breath neck snapping life into any 24mm mounted Estes kit :D

My personal sre the E18 and F24 reloads, lots of fire, lots of smoke, lots of noise. Next would be the F21 Econo-Jet single-use...whoa, watch out for that one.

My phoenix is a bit overwieght too. I got tired of fins popping off on landing so I glassed them on. I love flying my phoenix on an f39-6, it whistles on the way up. Mike

Thanks Johnnie....those are the same numbers I came up with...let me ask you this...
are they availble in our area?..or should (can) I order them online?
I don't remember seeing any Aero-tech at any of the hobby shops around here...and I really need to get in the "mode" so to speak, with my MPR stuff coming in after the first...

And thanks for the PM...alot of stuff happening here..(keeping Santa up to date), and I can't find anything on my desk...LOL

Thanks again....Steward

Wow, what a tidy desk. My Science teacher once said to me "Mike, have you been doing your homework on a pile of rubble?" Oh how near the truth he was! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Steward
Launched on a D12 5, it only gained about 150 ft before it nose dived...The chute ejected about 50ft and made a really hard landing....Popped a fin off... That can be repaired easy enough.

At least yours is repairable.......

The Estes Phoenix was my first real rocket I built...... After 2 flights I broke 1 rear fin....... During the repair I overbuilt the rear fins, adding a lot of epoxy....... When I flew it on a D12-7 it only got to about 50-75 ft and then started down..... It came down nose first and the nosecone stuck in the ground..... A second later the ejection charge fired, blowing the whole motor tube assembly out the rear of the rocket...... That night I upgraded it a 29mm motor tube and put a F50 in it the next day......... When NO added nose weight it was totally unstable and slammed into the ground under full thrust.........

Steward,

Try a Hobby Town USA, they carry the Aerotech line of motors. If not try any of the fine dealers on the internet, my choice would be Magnum.

"quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and I can't find anything on my desk...LOL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get a bigger desk!

sandman"

So, I got anoher desk... now both are filled with rocket projects!!

:)

I just need to be able to finish a few!!

Steward,

That is a VERY tidy desk, just too small. I'd take a picture of my desk (a 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" ply wood) but I can't find the camera which is buried somewhere on it. ;)

My unbuilt Phoenix is somewhere on there too.

Bob:)

That is one of Murphy's laws.

"The amount of material will expand to fill the available space." Murphy

sandman

You can't find anything! Take a look at my work station.

BTW. The phoenix is a great rocket. You should never fly it on the D12-5. Always use the D12-3. Or, if you can find them, Aerotech E11-4Js work great!. Not too fast, but nice and high.:)

Nick thats amazing, you are the first person I have met whose workshop is as messy as mine.....congratulations ! ;) ;) :kill:

I don't know if this will help...(or not)...I'm a self proclaimed "NEAT FREAK", so that should explain why my
workspace (drawing table) is usually so tidy...It's next to
the bed so that I can get up early and work...or even if I
can't sleep. It's also quiet when all heck is breakin'
loose elsewhere in the house... LOL
So...for all of you...I'm including a picture of the basement
workspace, where bigger and messy construction might take place...See I'm kinda normal too...
If you can't see the real "love" of my life in the center of the frame...I'll also include a picture of it as well....LOL
And now...I think I'll go make a mess............LOL

Nick Nick Nick....a little organization!! Come on man...when you mix epoxy, set it down to align the fin, and look back and it's gone, you have issues;)

If my cellar got like that....I'd get shot. Plain and simple. But if my dad makes a mess, it's allright. Hypocracy in the home;)

Well, thats the thing. It's mostly my Dad's mess. I'm sure there's a lot of my stuff in there to though.:rolleyes:

Rocketman248
Like most people i tend to look at other thing in pictures, I being a Home Inspector the first thing i noticed is the asbestos insulation around your plumbing pipes. Get rid of that stuff, it will kill ya.
(Professonal Removal Only)

Wow, you're good. I've lived there for 20 years and I never really paid any attention to those pipes. I knew they were there, but that's about it.:rolleyes:

After giving it a long drawn out thought...No...after no thought at all, Nicks basement workshop does resemble my 23yr old daughters room....Ha Ha Ha....I couldn't resist...LOL...
(You know?...Maybe that's what's killin' me)....LOL!!!

Too Fun..........!!!

___ No Picture!!!___

Nick you're in good company. My shed is in the same condition, maybe a little more cluttered, as your basement. I still haven't finished the inside completely yet, rocket stuff, a couple unfinished projects, and all the stuff that we didn't want buried in a snowbank this winter. It's an organized mess; but to the untrained eye, it's just a mess. That's why they call it spring cleaning.:D :p

Originally posted by Rocketman35
Rocketman248
Like most people i tend to look at other thing in pictures, I being a Home Inspector the first thing i noticed is the asbestos insulation around your plumbing pipes. Get rid of that stuff, it will kill ya.
(Professonal Removal Only)

My Dad says thanks. He thought that stuff smelled a little funny.;)

Back