OK...Enough about "Guns And Rockets"....Been working on this Peregrine ..in OR

Discussion in 'Mid Power Rocketry (MPR)' started by Hooked On Rockets, Oct 14, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Oct 14, 2019 #1

Hooked On Rockets

Hooked On Rockets

Hooked On Rockets

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

This is the Peregrine from Raytheon.....I saw some converse about it here on TRF....wish I could find it....
    But I measured up and worked up an OR file off of a photo.....just a rough draft....
    It's 4" diameter, 50" long.....
    So...whatcha think????
    Here's my OR file so far....

Attached Files:

2. Oct 14, 2019 #2

Mugs914

Mugs914

Mugs914

Looks pretty good... I think it would be a fun flyer.

A couple of observations and thoughts, if that's alright by you:

I think the forward fins/strakes would be plenty strong if they were surface mounted as long as they were glued and filleted adequately. (No need for massive fillets, just small to tiny with good epoxy.) That way the inner tube and rings could be eliminated. More room for chutes and stuff that way and it saves a bit of weight.

I'm pretty sure you can get 4" airframe tubes in lengths that would allow you to make the main airframe one piece and eliminate the coupler. I know that length = $ sometimes, so it may be a bit cheaper to go with two shorter tubes and a coupler anyway...

It look like it is set up for motor ejection. I'm assuming you are planning on a chute release of some kind. Main deployment at 7600 feet can make for quite a hike. Like one of those pack some vittles and a change of duds kind of hike. Of course you would probably have plenty of room in that big ol' nose cone for an av bay and your main if you wanted to go dual deploy.

I realize that this is still a preliminary shot at this thing and that you're still in the middle of the design process, so I'm sorry if I missed out on some aspect of the design that you had in mind. Everybody does things a bit differently and I tend to go with simpler is better, right up until I get a wild idea and do something complex just to do it!o_O:confused:

I like it... As always, keep us posted!