OHKA “BAKA Bomb”

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JumpJet

Reaction score
I’m not sure what the correct spelling is for this rocket powered Japanese flying bomb but I’ve been- wanting to make one for some time now. The illustration below shows what I am talking about. One photo shows the inner structure of the fuselage. I will strip plank the fuselage with balsa while all the wing will be sheeting foam. Its scale is only 1/10 so it’s not a big model at only 23.7” long. I predict the flying weight as a glider will be around 6 ounces and I don’t believe I will stick a rocket motor in it. So although this technically won’t be a rocket power model it will be pretty cool when it’s done, so I wanted to share it with you. The reason for its small size is because the Betty Bomber the BAKA will be dropped from is FREAKING large at 1/10 scale. One image shows the BAKA fuselage next to the Betty Bomber being framed up. If you not familiar either of these subjects I’ve include a picture of a plastic display showing both.

There is a build thread over at RCGroups.com and I can share the link if anyone is interested in seeing the models being built.

John Boren

BAKA.jpg

Profile_Ohka.jpg

B2.jpg

g4m2e72cw_26 (1).jpg

Estes already put out a "Baka Bomb", but the powers that were charged it into something less threatening and released it as the bunny themed "Cloud Hopper".

A long time ago something like that hit the ship my father was serving upon. It did not much damage to his ship, due to a glancing blow, but he said as it came in he could easily have shot the pilot if he'd only had an M1 rifle. I never knew what they looked like till now.

Steve Shannon

My mom has a picture of my grandfather standing with his buddies around a captured Baka bomb somewhere in the south pacific. I've asked her for a scan of it, however, since she sold her house, and is moving everything is packed up.

I had to order some wood to finish the wings on the Betty so I started on the BAKA. The fuselage was planked with 3/32 x 1/8 balsa then sanded. The nose portion was turned on a lathe while the back portion was a block of balsa sanded to shaped. Current weight of the fuselage is 3.7 ounces. I am hoping for a flight weight of around 8 ounces but I bet I will be closer to 10 ounces.

John Boren

B39.jpg

B40.jpg

B41.jpg

B42.jpg

B43.jpg

B44.jpg

I now have a descent looking canopy to put on the model. It took about three hours to carve the canopy plug. I will most likely spray a mist coat of paint on the inside of the canopy since I don't intend to install a pilot.

John Boren

B47.jpg

I got a little more done on the Betty. The engine nacelles have been planked and I started work on the master plug for the cowl. I would like to make the tail section of the BAKA this weekend while my additional work on the cowl will be drying.

John Boren

B62.jpg

They're both looking fantastic. Do you design the internal structure pieces yourself?

Leave it to US GIs to call it the "Fool's" bomb.

Everything on this build is of my own design. I have a lot more design time "CAD" in this project then build time.

John Boren

It would be cool to make it all rocket powered. World War Two bombers are fun to fly as model rockets!

Make it old school, with the "Fools" bomb being ignited off a motor with a fuse. No stinking electronics needed.

I would definitely have to head down South to launch something like that.

I've gotten a little more done on the BAKA and Betty since my last post. I still need to lay up one more fiberglass cowl and then I'll start back on the wood portion of the Betty and create the wings for the BAKA

John Boren

B70.jpg

B74.jpg

Back