Offset Wings/Fins In OpenRocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I get a PM from Frank about offsetting wings... "How can it be done?" I explain how it can't be done (for things like delta shapes, and other non rectangular wing shapes). Then I get to thinking about it... and I come up with this.

I know, it's not accurate for scale, markings, or really for anything, but I have to say... I really enjoyed making this Lil' Fokker (and now I'm thinking about making one for real (not to fly)).

(Yes, I'm trying to figure out how to make a Snoopy's Doghouse too).

View attachment JPL Lil Fokker.ork

Last edited:
Very nice! I admit I had to stare at that one for a while before I figured out what you're doing. :)

Thanks! Originally, I was thinking of doing something really basic, then it evolved into a biplane, and once I added the "gun" (later "guns") it was a natural fit for the Fokker DR 1.

I'm glad the airfoil turned out looking as nice as it did.

No Sopwith Camel?

Gimme some time...

BTW... It's a myth that he was shot down by Canadian Captain Arthur "Roy" Brown... He was hit by ground fire.

[video=youtube;l0MkXRLos0o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0MkXRLos0o[/video]

Last edited:
Snoopy had a couple run ins with the Bloody Red Baron...

[video=youtube;wtJ1Gnh9wPU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtJ1Gnh9wPU[/video]

[video=youtube;sh-J4GSPgAM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh-J4GSPgAM[/video]

Maybe when I get back to the states (or some of you get over here), We'll buy some root beer and have a toast. :cheers:

Last edited:
Very impressed with this one. I want to examine how the flat bottom wing panels were made.

Richard

Very impressed with this one. I want to examine how the flat bottom wing panels were made.

The way was simple... I downloaded a cross section of an airfoil, and after converting it into a black and white (two color only) image, I imported it into OR, and scaled it. I then took the same image, inverted it, turning the "top" into the "bottom", and imported it into OR. It was attached to a PBT that has a reduced diameter so that it will appear to sit flush with the bottom edge of the fuselage body tube. I rotated it to the bottom of the model, and it was offset to line up where I wanted it.

I think I had the basic model done in about 20 minutes... Had I not been in a hurry to leave (I was hungry, and this being Spring Festival, a lot of restaurants and shops are closed for the holiday (or close early)), I'd have done a better job of labeling things..

Will Openrocket actually simulate it's flight?

I strongly doubt it. I suspect that this is WELL beyond OR's abilities. There's so many tricks in this one that OR can't possibly try to comprehend what has been done.

Last edited:
Will Openrocket actually simulate it's flight?

Dick, I seriously doubt it can.

Jim, I find it amazing what you manage to do from a visual standpoint with your or files. Conversely, some of those very things done to make the image correct likely detract in some significant ways from the function of accurately simulating a flight. Do you disagree?

Jim, I find it amazing what you manage to do from a visual standpoint with your or files. Conversely, some of those very things done to make the image correct likely detract in some significant ways from the function of accurately simulating a flight. Do you disagree?

Some of them do, and others not so much... Ring fins, and fins on fins, certainly. OR doesn't support those (Fins on fins are actually wide fins on top of PBTs (such as the top wing on the triplane above)). With my Marauder (1922) .ork as is, altitude is projected as 771'. No Engine hook gained 34', without launch lugs gained 17', without LL or the EH was the same as if there was no EH. With the Marauder (K-3) ColdPower Convertible .ork, as is, altitude is projected as 1067'. No EH gained 26', losing the air fin alone gained 34', and losing both the air fin and the engine hook gained 63'. So there's some impact. Losing the Engine hook loses the mass associated with it. LL's on standoffs have mass, but aren't calculated in the aerodynamics. Air Fins and PBT's have no mass, and I set them to streamlined, and polished to reduce how they change the computations.

You have graduated to the level of OpenRocket Chuck Norris.

That got a good laugh out of me!!!

Last edited:
It is a little known fact that Chuck Norris actually designed the Apollo rockets using a very early release of OpenRocket. K'Tesh designed the Falcon 9 using a long lost copy of the alpha release of the same program just for fun.

Dick, I seriously doubt it can.

That's what I thought, but was wondering if I missed something.

Back