OFFICIAL LDRS 42- urrg.us

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was my 'copter...
The first stage (E44 24mm redline ex motor) failed to ignite with an AeroTech first fire igniter...
The chuff ignited the thermalite fuze to stage 2. (G10 29mm ex motor, (think stretched F10) Aerotech E6 propellant. (Similar to blue thunder but a little better for end burners. (It's not readily available)))
Stage 3, also G10, Ignited with a port in FWD end of 2nd stage with a length of visco fuse 24"/sec burn rate. (from skylighter.com) connected to piece of thermalite to the motor.
Parachute failed as the electronics (AMW PICO) wasn't on. I thought I turned it on, but realized after the flight, went to turn it off, and heard the faint beep... aaaaaaaaarrrrrgggh.
I have a solution for next time...

The planned 2nd stage was an H13, but the crappy field is why 2 G10's were used...
You've been holding back from us!
Stephen Colbert Point GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

It was my 'copter...
The first stage (E44 24mm redline ex motor) failed to ignite with an AeroTech first fire igniter...
The chuff ignited the thermalite fuze to stage 2. (G10 29mm ex motor, (think stretched F10) Aerotech E6 propellant. (Similar to blue thunder but a little better for end burners. (It's not readily available)))
Stage 3, also G10, Ignited with a port in FWD end of 2nd stage with a length of visco fuse 24"/sec burn rate. (from skylighter.com) connected to piece of thermalite to the motor.
Parachute failed as the electronics (AMW PICO) wasn't on. I thought I turned it on, but realized after the flight, went to turn it off, and heard the faint beep... aaaaaaaaarrrrrgggh.
I have a solution for next time...

The planned 2nd stage was an H13, but the crappy field is why 2 G10's were used...
Crappy field? Even both stages that lit the rocket still stayed under 100 feet lol. Great flight

I can't find it now, but I thought I had posted here last week that the last bunch of times they forecast rain for my trips and I went anyway, I had an AMAZING time.

Well, my streak continues! 🤩
1000018442.jpg
1000018362.jpg
1000018340.jpg
Sometimes conditions REALLY suck, but there are often still little windows of opportunity to make incredible memories.

Last edited:
mud fest.. and that annoying corn!! a massive 6" high..

(I do wonder if that corn will have an onion-y taste..)
When I was setting up on Wednesday that corn was about 2" high. By Saturday afternoon it was 5"-6". Must be some pretty good soil!

Oh, and don't forget the wind. That horrible wind that carried everyone's rocket a mile or two away.
(except KenECoyote's X-15, which probably landed in the trunk of his car.😒)

😂😂😂😂
🙄

I actually told my wife the other day that I probably used up my good luck for the year. ;)

(Long story about all my BAD luck prior to this deleted. :))

Same X-15 on May 11:
View attachment 650609
I saw that you had posted about this mishap and rapid repair earlier. You did a nice job fixing it pdq! I'll give you this one - that it wasn't luck, but skill, determination, and commitment that allowed you to succeed.

I saw that you had posted about this mishap and rapid repair earlier. You did a nice job fixing it pdq! I'll give you this one - that it wasn't luck, but skill, determination, and commitment that allowed you to succeed.
Actually it was mostly Amazon Prime! 😂

In all seriousness, thank you for the kind words.

Another one of our club members had the same thing happen to his L3 attempt rocket and this was just days before LDRS. It was crushing for both of us, but we REALLY worked insanely hard to get our rockets repaired in time.

If I wasn't honest with this, it would belittle what he went through since it was worse than mine.

Unbelievably he won the second biggest raffle prize! $300 from Chris' Rocketry!

I think we are great examples of how not giving up and giving your all can change your fate.

Finally and honestly, one of the most rewarding things was meeting the people at LDRS and seeing all the cool rockets, so I don't care if it rained.

In all seriousness, thank you for the kind words.

Another one of our club members had the same thing happen to his L3 attempt rocket and this was just days before LDRS. It was crushing for both of us, but we REALLY worked insanely hard to get our rockets repaired in time.

If I wasn't honest with this, it would belittle what he went through since it was worse than mine.

Unbelievably he won the second biggest raffle prize! $300 from Chris' Rocketry!

I think we are great examples of how not giving up and giving your all can change your fate.

Finally and honestly, one of the most rewarding things was meeting the people at LDRS and seeing all the cool rockets, so I don't care if it rained.
I had a little repair job on one of mine too. About 3 weeks before it (a Madcow 4" Frenzy) landed in a tree. The recovery put 2 short zippers in the upper and lower body tubes. But that was small potatoes compared to what you had to fix. I had it with me, but didn't get a chance to even take it out of the box.

I'll be honest, I was a little disappointed that I didn't get more flights in, but there were reasons for that. I spent some time with my friends Neil and Dan helping with their Nike Smoke and Patriot, both of which were scrubbed due to weather. But it was interesting being involved with those projects, even in a small way. Plus they are good people, so spending time there was not disappointing.

One thing I didn't anticipate was how long it would take to recover a rocket. Sometimes it took me over an hour, even when I saw it in the field! The walk around to the Oasis was a time killer! Plus sometimes I had to wait there for a clear range to go pick it up. That's not a criticism of the organizers. Just what it was. It was organized and safe, which is good. Their goal was also to keep flights going, which they did fairly well.

And of course there was the weather. That just complicates everything and takes time to deal with.

I've been to Red Glare, but this was my first LDRS, and it was much bigger. I'd do some things different next time, but have no regrets.

But none of this means my wife and I didn't enjoy ourselves. We spent time together and with a bunch of people from our NJ Club who went. Also met a few people from here, and chatted briefly with some of the vendors that we all know and respect. Met a few good folks from URRG when I was helping to set up on Wednesday. And of course we saw lots of great rockets and flights. I did get 5 good flights in, and got all the pieces back in the right quantities! That's more than a lot of people can say. Plus I saw an astronaut!

I won't be going to California next year, but when it comes east of the Mississippi again, we'll likely be going.

I had a little repair job on one of mine too. About 3 weeks before it (a Madcow 4" Frenzy) landed in a tree. The recovery put 2 short zippers in the upper and lower body tubes. But that was small potatoes compared to what you had to fix. I had it with me, but didn't get a chance to even take it out of the box.

I'll be honest, I was a little disappointed that I didn't get more flights in, but there were reasons for that. I spent some time with my friends Neil and Dan helping with their Nike Smoke and Patriot, both of which were scrubbed due to weather. But it was interesting being involved with those projects, even in a small way. Plus they are good people, so spending time there was not disappointing.

One thing I didn't anticipate was how long it would take to recover a rocket. Sometimes it took me over an hour, even when I saw it in the field! The walk around to the Oasis was a time killer! Plus sometimes I had to wait there for a clear range to go pick it up. That's not a criticism of the organizers. Just what it was. It was organized and safe, which is good. Their goal was also to keep flights going, which they did fairly well.

And of course there was the weather. That just complicates everything and takes time to deal with.

I've been to Red Glare, but this was my first LDRS, and it was much bigger. I'd do some things different next time, but have no regrets.

But none of this means my wife and I didn't enjoy ourselves. We spent time together and with a bunch of people from our NJ Club who went. Also met a few people from here, and chatted briefly with some of the vendors that we all know and respect. Met a few good folks from URRG when I was helping to set up on Wednesday. And of course we saw lots of great rockets and flights. I did get 5 good flights in, and got all the pieces back in the right quantities! That's more than a lot of people can say. Plus I saw an astronaut!

I won't be going to California next year, but when it comes east of the Mississippi again, we'll likely be going.
I found out a long time ago that I'll often be overzealous and too optimistic with how many rockets I plan to fly. All it takes is bad igniters or a tough to light motor along with long recovery to kill your day.

Still, having grown up with what I've experienced, my motto is no matter how bad things are...try to enjoy every minute above the ground. :)

my motto is no matter how bad things are...try to enjoy every minute above the ground. :)
I've been around the world and seen some pretty bad circumstances that people deal with on a daily basis, not to mention a few of my own occasional challenges. And yet, even then, people find ways to laugh and find joy. It's part of our human nature. I always tell myself that if this is my biggest problem (trying to fly a toy rocket, fix a broken fin, or whatever) then I really have nothing to complain about. It's all good.

My motto: "It could be worse. It could be raining!"

Ahhem... does anyone know who won the 54/2800 Standard Hardware prize I sent in? It was the largest of the 5 complete Loki Research hardware sets I donated to LDRS 42.
I forgot about that one and I did put tickets into that jar!

I took a pic of the board on Saturday and under "Loki Surprise" there was just a number for the winner. You can check with Teddy @Onebadhawk . If no one claims it, I'm officially claiming first dibs! :p

1000018462.jpg

Sorry guys. The rules were "must be present to win" and the prize picked up by 11:00am the following morning, or at end of day Sunday. Otherwise a new number was to be called. But things got "muddy" on Sunday, I'm not sure what they will do.

I'd contact Teddy at One Bad Hawk asap. You might get lucky twice and they still have it for you.

Sorry guys. The rules were "must be present to win" and the prize picked up by 11:00am the following morning, or at end of day Sunday. Otherwise a new number was to be called. But things got "muddy" on Sunday, I'm not sure what they will do.

I'd contact Teddy at One Bad Hawk asap. You might get lucky twice and they still have it for you.
Actually that may not be the case for Saturday drawings because they canceled Sunday. Logically to me, that means the Saturday winners are the final winners since they never got a chance to see and claim on Sunday morning.

That's quite a nice (Loki) surprise! :) 👍

Only took 50 tickets.......

Sunday was scrubbed so the "pick up by end of day or by 11 ( couldn't get on the field if wanted ) is/should be null and void.

If I get the prize , awesome , but if not 2 things.

1. I did win so that's cool enough
2. Scott's donation to the launch is beyond awesome and his products will always be in my rockets.

Back