OFFICIAL LDRS 42- urrg.us

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adding to the shout outs to URRG and the Torrey's for an amazing event. Despite the challenging weather, it ran remarkably smoothly and lots of cool flights got off. And thanks to all the people suggesting to volunteer. My shifts were a blast!

Here is our photo dump from LDRS. My wife & daughter are responsible for just about all of the photos, the blurry ones are probably mine.

I've deleted the most egregiously bad photos and edited a few of the better ones.

LDRS 42 - Highlights - https://adobe.ly/4ehavcr

LDRS 42 - Day 1 Photos - https://adobe.ly/3KEo5ta
LDRS 42 - Day 2 Photos - https://adobe.ly/4aTYS8x
LDRS 42 - Day 3 Photos - https://adobe.ly/4bVtzvi

You can download the JPGs of any of the photos when you are viewing them by clicking three dots in the top right and selecting download.

Please feel free to share these links, download and use the photos wherever you'd like.

I don't have unlimited storage, I'll keep these up for at least the next 30 days, but if there are any photos you'd like to keep a copy of, please download before July 10th.

cheers - mark

howtodownload.png

Had a really nice time, enjoyed the event and got the chance to spend some one on one time with my son before he heads off to grad school.

I was able to get my large project up in the air on Saturday. It "was" an 8 inch Jumbo Dark Star but with 4 fins instead of 3, I wanted extra stability for the motor I was putting in. The motor was fantastic, my EX Blue Ray O13,000. 39,000 NS 2.9 sec burn. Killer burn and nice to see it fly. However the fins gave out. :oops:

The Fluctus shows failure @ Mach 1.2 and just over 5,000 feet. If you zoom in on photo Fin 1 and Fin 2 you can see the failure begin.
The booster came down from 5K with the Loki EX 152mm case and it survived. from the initial glance. Lucky there!! I used redundant Stratto Loggers, they did not fair so well. The Fluctus was in the nose and is 100% operational.

How do I bond my fins? First this is a 8 inch kit, with a 6 inch motor. I first bond the fins to the motor tube with Cortonics. Then JB weld on all the remaining connection points. JB Weld fillets on the outside, it sands nicely and is very strong. Once all cured I pour 6LB foam in around the interior fin can for extra strength. I did not layer up my fins with carbon fiber. I guess the O motor in this case was just too much.

Anyway the motor was successful and I got the case back, Fluctus and my 16 Foot fruity parachute :)

Attachments

• _MG_3780.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • _MG_3782.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • _MG_3788.jpg
    956.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Fin 1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Fin 2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • _7806510.jpg
    _7806510.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
Had a really nice time, enjoyed the event and got the chance to spend some one on one time with my son before he heads off to grad school.

I was able to get my large project up in the air on Saturday. It "was" an 8 inch Jumbo Dark Star but with 4 fins instead of 3, I wanted extra stability for the motor I was putting in. The motor was fantastic, my EX Blue Ray O13,000. 39,000 NS 2.9 sec burn. Killer burn and nice to see it fly. However the fins gave out. :oops:

The Fluctus shows failure @ Mach 1.2 and just over 5,000 feet. If you zoom in on photo Fin 1 and Fin 2 you can see the failure begin.
The booster came down from 5K with the Loki EX 152mm case and it survived. from the initial glance. Lucky there!! I used redundant Stratto Loggers, they did not fair so well. The Fluctus was in the nose and is 100% operational.

How do I bond my fins? First this is a 8 inch kit, with a 6 inch motor. I first bond the fins to the motor tube with Cortonics. Then JB weld on all the remaining connection points. JB Weld fillets on the outside, it sands nicely and is very strong. Once all cured I pour 6LB foam in around the interior fin can for extra strength. I did not layer up my fins with carbon fiber. I guess the O motor in this case was just too much.

Anyway the motor was successful and I got the case back, Fluctus and my 16 Foot fruity parachute :)
I have similar pictures, or maybe 5% sharper, but they won't show anything you don't already know (let me know if you want them). For what it's worth, nice rocket, and it looked great going up!

Here is our photo dump from LDRS. My wife & daughter are responsible for just about all of the photos, the blurry ones are probably mine.

I've deleted the most egregiously bad photos and edited a few of the better ones.

You can download the JPGs of any of the photos when you are viewing them by clicking three dots in the top right and selecting download.

Please feel free to share these links, download and use the photos wherever you'd like.

I don't have unlimited storage, I'll keep these up for at least the next 30 days, but if there are any photos you'd like to keep a copy of, please download before July 10th.

cheers - mark

View attachment 649823
Thank you so much for posting. You’ve caught some real gems from my L3 cert flight and almost all my friends flights as well!

Also I have to echo a huge thank you to all the URRG folks. They were top notch on and off the field. I might be making the trek out from Maine more often now.

Hey there! I was the volunteer BFR transporter (and retriever) for your flight and it was really great to meet you and Dave and to be able to help take part in your success with such a beautiful rocket! 😍🤩

I'm so glad we had your help. I didn't realize how much the medicine I was on was going to sap my energy. I'm thrilled to see you won the WildMan kit. You deserved it for all the help you gave folks during your shift!

I'm so glad we had your help. I didn't realize how much medicine I was on was going to sap my energy. I'm thrilled to see you won the WildMan kit. You deserved for all the help you gave folks during your shift!
I didn't do any more nor less than any other person I met there!

All that mud and muck allowed us to see how the people can really shine. 😁

I didn't do any more nor less than any other person I met there!

All that mud and muck allowed us to see how the people can really shine. 😁
It was definitely an event with a lot of moving parts that took a lot of work. They were rightfully appreciative on the microphone in thanking the "orange shirts". But I also want to add that on Wednesday's setup day there was a lot of physical work done too. I was there for my 8-12 setup shift, but I was not alone. 10 or 12 of us that were joined and directed by the core group of "Orange shirts" did quite a lot of labor putting up the tents, speakers, some caution tape, and a bunch of other running around jobs. And it was hot. I felt bad that there were times I didn't know what else to do, but that didn't last long. Morgan in particular was juggling a lot and sent us in all directions getting stuff done. I left the shift at 1pm (to help with the Patriot that didn't fly), but there were still some people there putting on the finishing touches until I left the field at 4. I'm sure similar hard work was getting done yesterday and today breaking everything down. So kiddos to those unsung workers too.

It's often said that in a volunteer organization 10% of the people do 90% of the work. I'm curious what the percentage of registered fliers who volunteered for a shift was. I'd guess it was much higher than that. More than 50%? 75%? Truly a group effort.

We survived LDRS 42!
Pig Mud GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
Thank you everyone who has posted pictures and video of the Sasquatch failure.

If you have more pictures and videos, especially of the wreckage after the flight, I honestly didn’t take as many after the flight as I hoped to.

On the field, my number 1 theory was drag separation. Heavy nose tip (5gal beer keg), draggy aft end, and shear pins that were likely damaged on transport to the pad. The failure occurring right at burnout lines up exactly.

This thread showed a couple key photos that could indicate structural failure of a stringer in the lower nosecone assembly. If that stringer fails, the upper nosecone is able to crumble in one direction and release the nosecone. MaxQ would also be expected at the end of the burn, so that timeframe lines up, with the exception that it would have had to be exactly enough force to break the rocket at the exact moment the motor shut down. The fact that the rocket can be strong enough throughout the entire burn, the fail at literally the last moment, is suspicious. Evidence that would support this would be the lower nosecone stringer being found broken while others appear unbroken. That evidence won’t exist as a couple seconds later, the shock cord came through and obliterated the entire lower nosecone section with a top to bottom zipper. Maybe there is still a few more frames before the zipper or pictures of the section after flight that put this theory to bed.

I am glad I had an opportunity to fly safely, and while we never want to see a big rocket fail, I hope others had a good time following along.

Project Sasquatch would not have been possible with the generous support of Chris Short (who hauled the rocket to New York for me from NSL in CO), AMW/Prox Robert DeHate and John Demar for organizing heroic motor logistics, and Mark Clark/Robin Meredith for driving the motor out from Arizona at the last minute.

Especially in New York, I needed Tim’s of misc support from nearby flyers to share black powder, ematches, drills, screw drivers, etc. as showing up with just a carry on from Washington was a new and challenge situation.

A huge thank you to the six other TRA BoD volunteers who ran this time, I am very thankful to have been given the opportunity to serve as TRA Board Member for the next three years. I hope to continue to support and improve our rocket community in preparation for the next generation of participants and leaders.

A final thank you goes out to the LDRS Committee and team of volunteers who helped make the launch happen!

I’d love to continue the Sasquatch-specific discussion over on the Sasquatch build thread. Throw in links to tons of photos, throw in your theories, and let’s learn how to make this project even better!

Looks like it was a great event hats off to everybody who put it together and those who participated.

Any word on the election results and the location of next years LDRS?

:bravo:

cheers - mark

View attachment 649823

Anyone have any details on the multi-stage monocopter that flew on Friday? Was supposed to be 3 stages but only two lit. Still extremely impressive and I'm very curious to see how the multiple motors were rigged up. I should have waited to see who collected it and talked to them but my attention was being drawn in so many directions it didn't occur to me.
It was my 'copter...
The first stage (E44 24mm redline ex motor) failed to ignite with an AeroTech first fire igniter...
The chuff ignited the thermalite fuze to stage 2. (G10 29mm ex motor, (think stretched F10) Aerotech E6 propellant. (Similar to blue thunder but a little better for end burners. (It's not readily available)))
Stage 3, also G10, Ignited with a port in FWD end of 2nd stage with a length of visco fuse 24"/sec burn rate. (from skylighter.com) connected to piece of thermalite to the motor.
Parachute failed as the electronics (AMW PICO) wasn't on. I thought I turned it on, but realized after the flight, went to turn it off, and heard the faint beep... aaaaaaaaarrrrrgggh.
I have a solution for next time...

The planned 2nd stage was an H13, but the crappy field is why 2 G10's were used...

It was my 'copter...
The first stage (E44 24mm redline ex motor) failed to ignite with an AeroTech first fire igniter...
The chuff ignited the thermalite fuze to stage 2. (G10 29mm ex motor, (think stretched F10) Aerotech E6 propellant. (Similar to blue thunder but a little better for end burners. (It's not readily available)))
Stage 3, also G10, Ignited with a port in FWD end of 2nd stage with a length of visco fuse 24"/sec burn rate. (from skylighter.com) connected to piece of thermalite to the motor.
Parachute failed as the electronics (AMW PICO) wasn't on. I thought I turned it on, but realized after the flight, went to turn it off, and heard the faint beep... aaaaaaaaarrrrrgggh.

The planned 2nd stage was an H13, but the crappy field is why 2 G10's were used...
Pictures or link please!

It was my 'copter...

Even with the non-nominal operation it was amazing.

Agree with @Rschub, please post any pictures you might have!

Back