OFFICIAL LDRS 42- urrg.us

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope the weather forecast improves between now and then. 😳

I would take the forecast with a grain of salt - this is a pretty typical Finger Lakes region summer forecast. It gets hot, it rains for a while, then the clouds go away. So, we usually end up with windows of launching opportunities interspersed with "go shop at the vendors" opportunities each day :)

Hey Guys/Gals...looking forward to seeing longtime friends and making new friends. Is there a cross reference anywhere that indicates real names with these "screen names"?
No for privacy reasons but I at least (and several others) are printing out our screen names and putting them on a lanyard.

I am getting to the end of my LDRS prep and I am very excited. I have two range questions/request. One of my "BFR" flights is a LOC LaserLoc on an L1000. I am expecting a tad over 10,000 ft and according to the range rules, it needs to fly at one of the far away cells. Is there going to be a 1010 rail out there? It is a fairly small rocket for those pads and I want to check in advance.

Also I plan to fly a TriStar built long before the days of rails and it needs a 1/2" rod. A friend may bring my 1/2" rod but if not does the club have any 1/2" rods. (Edit, I saw the club does not have a 1/2" rod. I assume it is okay to bring one?)

Thanks, Alex
I'm a little confused, I also have a 10k+ flight planned and initially thought I'd need to fly from one of the away cells. However, the flight cards indicate that H through complex M motors with expected altitudes up to 10,500' will launch at cells A through C which do not appear to be away cells (those are D through G).

that is up to the board. Asking @Larry W is best, or another on the board..

(I'm just an enthusiast, offers some running comments! :D )
I was confused. I thought you were. Anyway I will see what someone on the BOD says. No big deal either way. I usually bring rods to launches since they are rare for clubs these days. Since this is a big launch they may not allow them.

I'm a little confused, I also have a 10k+ flight planned and initially thought I'd need to fly from one of the away cells. However, the flight cards indicate that H through complex M motors with expected altitudes up to 10,500' will launch at cells A through C which do not appear to be away cells (those are D through G).

Just to clarify - in order to fly from the C rack (the "not away cell") - your rocket must be a complex L/single motor M (or below) AND fly under 10,500 feet.

If you have a complex M, single motor N (or higher) OR you are flying over 10,500 feet, you must fly the rocket from one of the away cell pads, which will be determined by the motor impulse/complexity or the expected altitude of your rocket.

Since going over 10,500 feet pushes you out to the away cell, we will have pads out there to accommodate rockets that need a 1010 or 1515 rail.

If you have any special ground equipment for your rocket (hybrids, launch towers for MD rockets, 1/2" rail setups), we will do our best to accommodate you, but I would ask you get out to the field early in the day before the launch schedule begins so we can assist you before things get stupid hectic. Once the day starts rolling, it is difficult to allow people to block the range from going "hot" because they need an hour to set something special up.

I think it may be helpful to post the BFR Procedures in full here. If you have not already done so, you can get the full PDF version of the LDRS publication here:

https://urrg.us/docs.ashx?id=1359037

LDRS-42 BFR Procedures

All fliers wishing to fly a BFR please register at:
https://urrg.us/content.aspx?page_id=1478&club_id=453409&item_id=8781

• BFR fliers will prep their rocket at their camp in the parking area, but not turn on any deployment or staging electronics prior to getting to their assigned pad
  • When the flier is ready for inspection, the rocketeer will get an orange/green BFR card from the FSO table and post it at their camp with the orange side facing out. This indicates to the roving FSO that there is a BFR rocket at that location ready for inspection.
  • If the rocket is going to fly less than 10,500 feet and has an Complex L/single M-motor or less, the flier will be directed to use the normal RSO lanes and utilize the B or C rack, as appropriate.
  • If the flier’s rocket is going higher than 10,500, or has a single N-motor/Complex M or greater, or at the discretion of the roving FSO, the flier will be directed to bring their rocket to the Oasis, where they will be assigned a pad in racks D-G based on the size of the rocket, total impulse, expected altitude, and pad availability.
  • If the flier will be going out to the away pads, the roving FSO will inspect the rocket at the flier’s camp and, if no issues are noted, the FSO will sign off on the flier’s flight card
  • Once the FSO has signed off on the flight card, the FSO will turn the BFR card over so the green side is now facing out. This indicates to the transport team that the flier is ready to get a ride out to the Oasis
    • NOTE: If the flier chooses to transport their rocket to the Oasis on their own, the flier MUST stay on the SOUTH access road and must NOT walk/drive through the A-C pad launch area. Fliers must remain cognizant of any launches coming off the A-C pads and ensure they do not disrupt them
  • The flier will accompany the rocket to the Oasis. At the Oasis, the flier will:
    • Sign in on the log sheet to acknowledge the waiver and be allowed to observe their flight from the Oasis
    • If the flier has brought a team out to assist at the pad, all members of the team must sign the log at the Oasis
    • Get a pad assignment from the BFR Range Boss
  • When the assigned pad is open, the transporter will take the flier and the rocket out to the pad
  • If the flier needs assistance, there will be a floating team at the away cell to help out with loading the rocket onto the pad and to assist with operating the equipment at the pad
  • As a safety measure, the cord to the Wilson box must be disconnected while hooking up motor starters
  • Once the flier is satisfied the rocket is ready for launch, the transport team will bring the flier (and any assistants) back to the Oasis. The flier will hand the flight card to the BFR Range Boss and await the launch
  • If the rocket does not launch successfully, once the BFR Range Boss has called the away cell “cold”, the flier may return to the pad and make any necessary adjustments and try the launch again on the next cycle
  • If the rocket fails to launch unsuccessfully a second time, the flier may be asked to remove the rocket and bring it back to the Oasis or back to their camp to troubleshoot in order to allow other fliers the opportunity to use the pad. This is at the discretion of the BFR Range Boss
  • If the rocket must be taken off the pad, the transport team will assist the flier in getting the rocket back to the Oasis or their camp
  • If the rocket launches successfully, it is the flier’s responsibility to track and recover the rocket, see recovery guidelines
If you have any questions, please find a roving FSO or committee member and they can assist you

Regarding the question of 1/2" rods (or any other more specialized launch equipment), no the club does not have that rod size, but yes you can bring your own. The same may also be true on the other end of the scale, if you're flying micromaxx.

We are a week out now everyone! Attached to this message is the PDF version of the official event program. A print copy of this will be included in your registration bag, but it can't hurt to get it out now. Eric's BFR procedures above are included in it.

Attachments

• Potter Rocketeer LDRS42 14MAY Final - Web.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
I hope the weather forecast improves between now and then. 😳

My wife yelled at me last night to stop watching the weather forecast. I guess she got sick of me wringing my hands and pulling out what's left of my hair.

As an FYI, the weather forecasters are lucky to have a correct "prediction" from the day before............
Much less over a week away...........

Hello all,
Volunteer shifts are still open..
If you volunteer to help out running the launch you will make your own experience more betterer..
Very cool being with all helping to make things happen..
Help is still needed at the oasis..
There is no cooler place to be during the launch..

Step up,, make this launch yours..

Teddy

Hello all,
If you volunteer to help out running the launch you will make your own experience more betterer..

Teddy
What are the requirements to volunteer at the oasis? I'm signed up for a couple of low-skill-level spots already, but might help out if more if I can.

Hello all,

we had to put LDRS on hold.. but it looks like we're on our way. we got a spot at Country Charm Campground for our 5th wheel.. looks like we'll arrive on Wednesday and stay until end of day saturday.

Our 4" Nike Zeus is ready to rock. We'll be flying our vehicle on a CTI J235 for my L2 attempt... and John was gracious enough to support my L2 attempt by administering the test and observing my flight.

this said we'd like to volunteer if possible. (we're a team.. my wife and i)..

ron-

What are the requirements to volunteer at the oasis? I'm signed up for a couple of low-skill-level spots already, but might help out if more if I can.
I forwarded this to Eric P..
He's killer wonderful..
He'll be happy to let you know what you can do to help..
It's really cool at the oasis..
A big shade tree and the best view of the away cells..

we had to put LDRS on hold.. but it looks like we're on our way. we got a spot at Country Charm Campground for our 5th wheel.. looks like we'll arrive on Wednesday and stay until end of day saturday.

Our 4" Nike Zeus is ready to rock. We'll be flying our vehicle on a CTI J235 for my L2 attempt... and John was gracious enough to support my L2 attempt by administering the test and observing my flight.

this said we'd like to volunteer if possible. (we're a team.. my wife and i)..

ron-
Ha,
That's too cool Ron.
My wife Sandy and I are a team too..
Thank you so much for steppin up to help..
It really will make it a better time for you and help the launch movin right along, lol..

You check here

https://urrg.us/content.aspx?page_id=2664&club_id=453409

You'll see what's cookin with volunteering..
And come say hello while you're at the launch anyways..

Teddy

Ron,
The entire northeast is rich in natural beauty..
Everything boils down to how much time you have..
Everywhere you drive in the Fingerlakes is just gorgeous..
It is wine country.. If you guys are so inclined a visit to a few wineries is always cool and you get to take something home with you, lol..
You're camping ?? As far vas my wife Sandy and I are concerned, that's the way to go for sure..
You already know the state parks are just the most beautiful places in the whole country..
See if you can make the drive to two places..
Buttermilk Falls.. Gorgeous,, when we went the first time it was during drought, still beautiful, plus we got to tease the man who told us to go see it, an added bonus, lol..
Letchworth i believe is also a state park.. Gorgeous,, called the Grand Canyon of the east for a reason..

Maybe some others can chime in, there's so much to see and do in the Fingerlakes..

Keep your eyes open while driving, there's just a picture postcard everywhere you look..

Teddy

for those at Country Charm:

Roam around, join a fire pit, share a story, join a conversation, come have a beer.. or even a snack!

We're all rocketeers, and are all coming from 'other places'.. nice to put faces to names, and see how other's 'relax & camp'!

just leave the politics & religion talk at home.. :D

for those at Country Charm:

Roam around, join a fire pit, share a story, join a conversation, come have a beer.. or even a snack!

We're all rocketeers, and are all coming from 'other places'.. nice to put faces to names, and see how other's 'relax & camp'!

just leave the politics & religion talk at home.. :D
For those of us not staying there, do you know what the policy is on visitors? It might be nice to come meet folk anyway?

I forwarded this to Eric P..

For the BFR Range Boss and BFR FSO positions, you will need to be level 3 since those roles require you to inspect Level 3 rockets for safety, pad assignments, etc.

For folks that are not level 3, One of the best ways to help out for BFRs at the Oasis is to sign up as a transporter. We will need an abundance of people moving back and forth between the away cell pads, the Oasis and the LCO (at the flight line) to bring people and rockets all over the place.

Another option is to just come out to the Oasis and ask to help. I anticipate that, during busy times, we will need a bunch of people assisting with getting the big rockets up and onto the pads, for example.

My son, Elias Ghiz, and I volunteered for parallel shifts on Friday in the 1-3 time slot. Unfortunately, Elias will not be there; he took an internship in Sydney Australia working on satellite beacons for a startup called ANT61. And he took his surfboards, too. Anyway, I want to remove him from his time slot so it can get filled. I just can't figure out how to do this on my own. I'll probably volunteer for a second time slot as the time gets near. Thanks!

1717102158912.png

Last edited:
I signed up for two shifts (Friday / Saturday) as BFR transport. If you guys find that I'm not a complete screw-up doing that I can throw my hat in for other stuff as well.

I signed up for two shifts (Friday / Saturday) as BFR transport. If you guys find that I'm not a complete screw-up doing that I can throw my hat in for other stuff as well.
I signed up for two BFR transport shifts as well. Maybe we can do a drag race? 😆

But joking aside, what would you organizers say is a good guideline of requirements for that position (and why are there 3)? Like should we have ATV and/or trailer driving experience? Able to lift heavy loads?

TIA

But joking aside, what would you organizers say is a good guideline of requirements for that position (and why are there 3)? Like should we have ATV and/or trailer driving experience? Able to lift heavy loads?
I have a motorcycle license, most ATVs are twist-n-go like a scooter. I just need to observe whatever speed limit they set me to.
As long as the rocket isn't over 100lbs, it should be liftable by three people onto the rail.

what would you organizers say is a good guideline of requirements for that position (and why are there 3)? Like should we have ATV and/or trailer driving experience? Able to lift heavy loads?

With all the BFR activity we anticipate, we know we are going to need about 4-5 vehicles in motion at all times. A couple of those roles will be filled the entire time by committee members, but we will need a good bunch of volunteers to fill all the other needs. With multiple away cell pads going out a 1/2 mile, transporting people and rockets to the pads, transporting people back from the pads, transporting people to and from the Oasis, and giving assistance to people recovering rockets, there will be a constant need for transporters.

We have a Mad Max collection of ATVs, trucks, Utility vehicles and God only knows what else! Whatever you feel comfortable driving is what we will assign you.

In some cases, it will be helpful if our transporters can assist the flyers with the "heavy lifting" of getting BFRs on the rails, but, if people can only drive, that is helpful too.

Bottom line - all help is welcome and appreciated!

Back