Official 2009 EMRR Box O' Parts Contest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMRR

Reaction score
In the tradition of the Estes and Fliskits Design of the month and RMR Descon, Esssence's Model Rocketry Reviews (EMRR) is pleased to announce the second "Box 'O Parts" contest.

Todd Mullin hosted this very popular contest last year which had a great deal of participation. With that level of participation, the US Postal Service took home the biggest prize of all by collecting over $500 in postal fees. The economy is very different this year, so EMRR with help from David Chance and others has created a different way to run the contest.

The changes still encourage a random "Box Swap" with some other entrant, but that is not a requirement for this year's contest. There will also be some surprises through into the mix as well.

There is plenty of motivation with prizes from Art Applewhite Rockets (Saucer of your choice), SpaceCAD (Full version of their latest software), Fliskits ($35 Shopping Spree), EMRR (Apogee's Model Rocket Design and Construction Book), QModeling (a new kit to be released this year), ARA Press (Spaceship Handbook), Rocketflite (Electric Match Kit), Rokitflite (Fake Wulf kit), Red Arrow Hobbies and more.

The opportunity for creativity starts NOW and you must declare your participation and your parts by February 22nd.
For more information and to sign up, visit EMRR at https://www.rocketreviews.com/ and click on "Contests."

Contest Page

Right now I have (3) people that have said they are going to provide boxes for the Box Swap feature... (1) says they can't participate but will create the box to swap.

At this point no one has sent a declaration of parts list... so... get going and declare your participation and list of parts.

Nick

I got my box of boxes today from the post office, so I will be putting together my parts list and photos soon!

For those of you in the UK, i've contacted Nick and we can do the swap box between ourselves. - whch will save us a packet on the posting to america - not to metion the extra time it takes to ship etc. so far its me and one other guy.
If you want to do the swap box thing then contact Nick in the normal way and then pm me.

Okay, contestants are starting to express interest and take steps to participate.

CLICK HERE

Remember all part declarations and pictures must be submitted by 2/22.

We are going to wait until 2/13 to start assigning any box-swaps so that we build up a list of folks to randomize them better.

At the time of your box swap assignment, you will be provided what your (5) surprise items are.

Regards,
Nick

We are going to wait until 2/13 to start assigning any box-swaps so that we build up a list of folks to randomize them better.

Clarification... for those that have met all the declaration activities, we can start assigning box swaps with others that also have met the declaration activites on/about 2/13...

... the final declarations are due on 2/22 and final box swap assignments will be made on 2/23.

Hope I didn't confuse any one.

Nick

It looks like we now have (3) people that will donate boxes but will not "swap" since they are not building. How nice!

So, if you don't have parts and would like to play, send me your name and we will put you up to "receive" one of these boxes of parts.

Nick

Just got word that the deadline for jumping into this contest was extended. I think it will be a week. But don't delay, there is a load of great prizes and soo few who signed up to build.

I mean take a look at the prizes...
A saucer from Applewhite, $35 shopping spree with Flis, $50 from Red Arrow, plus many more. A kit from Q-Modeling, First Flght, RocketFlite, and others.

5 Contestants, 13 Prizes.... do the Math!

1 week extension... yes.

We still have an opportunity for someone to participate without providing their own box of parts. (meaning someone is donating parts for someone else to build with)

Nick

i've just entered, thinking that i've left it really too close to the deadline, as it is i'm a week early!
how many people are in at the moment?

EMRR has just updated so it looks like there are 9 (8 listed and me) so far, with nearlyeveryone swapping boxes - with those bonus points i have little hope of scoring high (that's my excuse - i'm getting them in early)

Looks like there will be 8 builders.... and many more great prizes. :D:D:D:D

Wonder what secret ingredient EMRR is going to have us implement.?!?!

Just a reminder... only 5 more days to sign up. Seriously, 13 prizes and only 8 contestants. Now really, if you are one of those people that bellyache and moan about never winning anything... how can you pass up these odds?!?!?!
:D:D:D:D

those odds are dropping, there are 13 now.

i've just got my surprise items sent to me - interesting!

those odds are dropping, there are 13 now.

i've just got my surprise items sent to me - interesting!

what?.... I didn't get my surprise items.

3 days left to sign up. And yes the odds have dropped, but who cares...its going to be fun.

i'm one of the few that are not in the swap box part of the comp, so i and two others have had our parts verified and then nick sent me a list of the five surprise items.
i'll post what they are after everyone has got theirs.
i suppose you aren't going to get the five item list sent to you until the boxes swaps have been sorted.

Just a reminder that Sunday is the last day to sign up. We have 13 signed up and there is room for more. The prizes look awesome.

14 people in the competition - much lower than i had thought there would be.

here's my surprise items.

(1) BiC-style pen(s)
Prismatic Book Covers
(1) Rubber Band
(1) Pencil
(1) Plastic (Easter) Eggs

think i can include more or less all of them
got a few designs in mind - going to have to limit myself to one and get building - last year i left it to the last minute - but i did call the rocket - procrastinator.

Hehe... I love the irony of my swap assignment... I drew one of the guys in my club that I talked into doing the contest as my recipient! Now I have the choice of spending the money on postage or on gas to drive the box of parts to him!

Alrighty then...
My swap box is sent and the wait begins for the parts to arrive.

Surprise Items:
(1) items from $0.25/0.50 "bubble gum" machines
Prismatic Book Covers
(1) Pencil
(1) Rubber Band
Cereal Box Prize

I have something different. It looks like everyone will have slightly different 'surprise' items.

Question added to FAQ:

The question is how MUCH of an item do we have to use? (Can I just use the tips on the Popsicle sticks and toss the middle?)

You must use enough for us to recognize that you used the surprise item and the quanities indicated.

Got my box yesterday! I'm going to be so busy the next couple of days it' probably won't get opened until Sunday!

Question added to FAQ:

The question is how MUCH of an item do we have to use? (Can I just use the tips on the Popsicle sticks and toss the middle?)

You must use enough for us to recognize that you used the surprise item and the quanities indicated.

when you say used...... does the part have to be part of the structure with some real purpose or could it sit hidden in a payload section acting as a payload?

when you say used...... does the part have to be part of the structure with some real purpose or could it sit hidden in a payload section acting as a payload?

Or how about thin sections of the item used as decoration?

By the way, I still have no box.
:(

Or how about thin sections of the item used as decoration?

By the way, I still have no box.
:(

We have to know that the surprise was the source of the material... so take some pics of your thin slices of the part(s) before you cover them with paint.

IF ANYONE does not have their boxes by FRIDAY, please let me know.

I guess a payload is still used... I mean what would the point of an egg-lofter be if that didn't constitute as using an egg? :rolleyes:

14 people in the competition - much lower than i had thought there would be.

here's my surprise items.

(1) BiC-style pen(s)
Prismatic Book Covers
(1) Rubber Band
(1) Pencil
(1) Plastic (Easter) Eggs

think i can include more or less all of them
got a few designs in mind - going to have to limit myself to one and get building - last year i left it to the last minute - but i did call the rocket - procrastinator.

as a dedicated parts collector i have been eating many many chococate eggs:) just to get at the plastic eggs! due to a drive on recycling in the UK alot of the chocolate eggs now don't have any plastic in the boxes/wrappings - it's all cardboard.

Back