Official 2009 EMRR Box O' Parts Contest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have to know that the surprise was the source of the material... so take some pics of your thin slices of the part(s) before you cover them with paint.

IF ANYONE does not have their boxes by FRIDAY, please let me know.

My box arrived this day!
WOOT!

just been doing a bit of tidying up around the rocket room and i have found by bok of parts - so i guess i should start doing something soon with them!!
how is everyone else doing? anyone started, finished, flown and lost their rocket yet?

Mine hasn't made it out of Rocksim yet... but getting close. Here's an image of the major components. The big ring fin in the back is an oatmeal container. The surprise items I'm using are a bic pen (the cannon looking thing), a TP tube (the big tube underneath) and a countertop sample from Lowe's (Like a paint chip but made out of formica) I'm thinking of doing some inlay work with it on the fins.

Torellian Survey Ship 2.jpg

Okay... I'm copying Chan Stevens strategy from last year... I only just opened my box for the first time!

Got some interesting goodies that I can definitely work with! My box came complete with centering ring templates drawn on the sheets of bond paper! Thanks Glen! Very thoughtful!

I've collected most of my "bonus" parts... Not going to go out and get a McDonald's Happy Meal just to get the toy...

Okay... I'm copying Chan Stevens strategy from last year... I only just opened my box for the first time!

Got some interesting goodies that I can definitely work with! My box came complete with centering ring templates drawn on the sheets of bond paper! Thanks Glen! Very thoughtful!

You fool! Far too soon to start! I haven't opened my box yet, and I wasn't in time to swap so the parts are from myself. Of course, I might be putting this off a bit too much--can't work it now with 3 NAR regionals over the next 4 weeks (that works out to 75% of the whole year's worth of flying), followed by a brief lull before starting on NARAM crunch, assuming I wind up going despite being unemployed at that point.

Actually, it really doesn't matter when you start. The critical success factor is making sure you work extremely quickly, slightly stressed, while seriously sleep-deprived. For most folks, that only happens when a deadline approaches, but for a steely-eyed competitor like me, that's a state I can almost turn on/off like a light switch :cool:.

i'm ashamed to say that i have actually started building my rocket. its going to be quite boring - i'm going for a pretty standard but very usable rocket this time, and will be concentrating on the finish.

I'm going to be traveling so the deadline has now been moved to 7/17!!!!!

Nick

I'm going to be traveling so the deadline has now been moved to 7/17!!!!!

That helps immensely gives more time for writing this up. Both for me and my daughter.

BTW - one of my "special" surprise items was 4 Popsicle sticks. I didn't think about it and used Jumbo Craft sticks that are a lot more like Tongue Depressors - I also used 5 not 4 - I hope that's not a problem.

Other items on my list:

Happy Meal Toy
Cereal Box Toy
Coins (3)
Counter Top Samples (3)

I've had a tough time finding Cereal Box toys - anyone out there have any recommendations? Would Cracker Jack's be close enough?

The Happy Meal toys always get claimed by the kids - I'm having no luck prying them out of their hands even when they are asleep!

Last edited:
Should we extend? If we extend by two weeks how many more entries would we get?

I was hoping to fly mine once it was done at a local park, but looking at the park, it may be too small of a field to do so. Therefore I would rather do mine at a local launch.

I would appreciate an extension to do a better job. LDRS and a couple of special projects have really cut into my time for this. With that said, there are already a couple of people who've built and submitted. I would recommend offering a 2 week extension, but give those who've done theirs on time a bonus point or two.

It is totally my fault, but if you extend I will have time to get mine painted... and flown... and a better review written... :eek:

Of course I'll have to change the name of it from the NAKED PROCRASTINATOR OF DOOM...:rolleyes:

...there are already a couple of people who've built and submitted. I would recommend offering a 2 week extension, but give those who've done theirs on time a bonus point or two.

Absolutely...

Looks like I am out of the running....
Now one handed and wrong handed at that, nothing will be built for almost a month.
*twitch*
*twitch*

Don't know if I can stand it that long...

HECK NO!

Now that you've already given us one reprieve, I milked the procrastination pressure cow to the hilt, started my project yesterday, and hit the last coat of paint around 4:00 this morning. I then kicked into write-up mode while the paint dried, and just got back from the field after logging the first flight. I am on track to beat the deadline by almost 24 hours. Pushing it out any farther wipes out the whole last-minute-magic I find necessary to be competitive in these things.

All kidding aside, I think postponing the deadline the day before the currently posted deadline would be unfair to those of us who have, or are about to submit on time. Obviously the number of folks that came through is nowhere near the number that signed up, which is very similar to what happened last year, but having already booted it out about 3 weeks, you've been plenty generous. You've still got NARAM lurking on the horizon, so at least a few would-be competitors probably see that as higher priority.

I'm still not sure if I'll make it to NARAM myself, but with this deadline just barely behind me, I'm ready to start the NARAM build/procrastination pressure cooker now...

If anything, maybe split it into two tiers--those that got in on time get to compete for first dibs on the prizes, and those that fall in line to another extension get to compete for what's left.

--Chan Stevens

I would recommend offering a 2 week extension, but give those who've done theirs on time a bonus point or two.

Nick has tried with previous contests to offer early bird bonuses, newbie bonuses, etc to increase participation. They look good on paper, but when you look at how they've been implemented there just is no real benefit when the scores shake out--the bonuses are negligible, rarely enough to differentiate between rank, just a little expanding of whatever gaps were already there.

We all had the same deadline. We all got ample advance notice (in June) of Nick's travel which lead to the previous extension. At this point, we can all offer up competing excuses for why we didn't get 'er done, so to speak, but the plain and simple fact is, this is a contest and failure to show up on time with an entry would get you booted from just about any other imaginable contest on the planet.

As I noted in the direct reply to Nick, I think anyone not meeting this deadline should be competing for consolation prizes/leftovers after those that showed up on time were awarded appropriately based upon their performance.

In my case, I've got the write-up ready to submit. If I had a couple more weeks, I would have built a different design, more complexity, done a more detailed write-up, been a lot more competitive. If the deadline's extended at this point, I've got the option to scrap out what I've done and rework/enhance it. Had this come up a few hours later, I'd have already entered and be stuck. Extending this late in the game is just not fair, period.

This happens every summer contest...

I haven't flown mine. I have limited options for a field and with my current work situation it's not been easy to work on things. I don't care if you extend or not. Maybe I'd get a flight in but I doubt it. I can only say that it has been fun and I'll wrap up my write up for an article later.

Well darn. Layne is down again, and missed the deadline. I know he's sorry to have done so, but real world (and vicious attack lawnmower got in the way).

Trudy
PemTech Art Department and Emotional support in times of no-rockets

You'll probably still need to run a secondary contest for best excuse for not meeting the earlier deadline. Layne would seem to have the pole position on that one :y:.

Out of curiosity, how many entries did you get on time? Only 4 are currently on the site but I'd figure formatting/posting is a bit logjammed by us last-minute folks.

Excuse??
Why, I oughta send that Llama to your place for a bit.
:p

You'll probably still need to run a secondary contest for best excuse for not meeting the earlier deadline. Layne would seem to have the pole position on that one :y:.

Out of curiosity, how many entries did you get on time? Only 4 are currently on the site but I'd figure formatting/posting is a bit logjammed by us last-minute folks.

Back