Off Topic: Wireless Networking question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWRackers

Reaction score
Okay, here's a question for you folks who are savvy with the details of setting up a WiFi network in your home. I have a cable modem which connects to a WiFi-capable router, giving me four wired ports plus how ever many wireless connections I need, as long as there are enough IP addresses to go around. I have a computer which needs to be set up at the opposite end of the apartment from where the cable modem and router are located, so a wired connection is impractical. I have a second WiFi router (different brand but same capabilities). Can the two routers be set up so that they can serve WiFi devices like a laptop AND talk to each other, effectively extending my WiFi reach? I used to have a WiFi transceiver which could talk through the single router, but I've lost track of it during our recent move between states. I'm just wondering if there's a way to use the second router in a similar manner (wired connection to second computer but wireless to first router).

Okay, here's a question for you folks who are savvy with the details of setting up a WiFi network in your home. I have a cable modem which connects to a WiFi-capable router, giving me four wired ports plus how ever many wireless connections I need, as long as there are enough IP addresses to go around. I have a computer which needs to be set up at the opposite end of the apartment from where the cable modem and router are located, so a wired connection is impractical. I have a second WiFi router (different brand but same capabilities). Can the two routers be set up so that they can serve WiFi devices like a laptop AND talk to each other, effectively extending my WiFi reach? I used to have a WiFi transceiver which could talk through the single router, but I've lost track of it during our recent move between states. I'm just wondering if there's a way to use the second router in a similar manner (wired connection to second computer but wireless to first router).

It can be done, but the second "router" actually needs to be an access point and not a router (or maybe an access point and a router). The point is that if you are using wireless to talk to the second "router" there is absolutly no need to talk through a second "router" just do it connect to the first. You would have to have a REALLY big apartment for a single router not to be able to connect to your laptop, or whole lot of really dense walls.

It can be done, but the second "router" actually needs to be an access point and not a router (or maybe an access point and a router). The point is that if you are using wireless to talk to the second "router" there is absolutly no need to talk through a second "router" just do it connect to the first. You would have to have a REALLY big apartment for a single router not to be able to connect to your laptop, or whole lot of really dense walls.
The second router would be connected by wire to the second computer, just as the first router is connected to the first computer.

Be careful. Some routers won't let you set them up as a wireless access point and require access to your cable/DSL line. Obviously this works if you have one but not so much if you have two. What you are describing is a router that is linked to an access point. If one of your routers can be set up that way it might work.

Hi
Trying to connect 2 consumer grade routers together is a real pain in the neck (and places lower) in my experience. :bang:
If you want to PM me with the details of the routers you've got I can try and put something together in my LAB at work tomorrow :cheers:

Just get a wireless network interface card , or use one of the USB wireless adapters for the remote computer. Either should cost about $30, and will be worth it, as you'll spend at least 10X the time to get the second router to work as an access point.

My situation is similar to yours, I'm use a 100ft ethernet cable draped over the doorways to reach. The SO made me put a molding over the cable in the living room, and she was right, it blends in with the molding around the door so you wouldn't know the wire was there.

Back