Off to Balls!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveyfire

Piled Higher and Deeper
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, my adventure to BALLS begins tonight as I head up to a friend's house to stay over and then it's off to Reno tomorrow... Four flights planned, including a blue I motor (same one we static fired a while back), a Frank AN 2550 motor, a Slow-clone 3g 76mm, and a Red 3g 76mm. Should be lots of fun, and of course I can't wait to see the Black Brant II and the HoJo fly! I'll try and take pics of everything (or at least make sure my dad is on the video camera the whole time ;)) and post 'em in the Events forum when I get back!

Yahoo! I've been waiting for this day for a whole year :D

Better take pics and provide a detailed report, I just put in a call to Vinnie so he keeps his schedule open :rolleyes:

Have fun! (like there's any doubt :D)

Is this a school sponsored trip? ;-) Seriously we need lots of great video! Have fun and don't forget the sunblock.

Chuck

Just heard from two sources the 4 O Honest John flew for a couple seconds until one of the motors CATOed. It appears is was only partially successful.

for about a second...then one of the motors burned through the case, in turn burning through two other cases...about that time things started flying in different directions...

few, if any, of the big rockets was a success.
:(

hey dave, it was good to meet you!

i shot about 5 or 6 rolls of film, maybe more...
i'll set up a webpage when i get them transferred to disk.

I was just wondering how the 3X P motor powered BB2 went, I saw one liftoff pic but that was it.

I can't wait to see more pics and some videos.:D

bb=boom

the nose cone survived.
i'd post more, but i'd like to give the people that were directly involved a chance to tell it their way. i was just a spectator.

Originally posted by Elapid
bb=boom

the nose cone survived.
i'd post more, but i'd like to give the people that were directly involved a chance to tell it their way. i was just a spectator.

You are saying the 3 P Black Brant had a problem?

Looks like it was an incredible boost! It definitely held together through burnout. Now we just need after pics

Chuck

of the lonely nose cone sitting by the truck...
i assume the rest was in bags.
it would be tough to hide a rocket of that magnitude if it was still in one piece.

sorry i don't have better information, i was flying my kites at the time thinking it would be awhile before those went up.

AUT_9136.JPG

Looks like they escaped under cover of Penske. :)

Credit to Dr. Moore again for the pic

Back