Of Rail Guides and Centered Perfection . . .

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markfsanderson

Model Rocketry Returnee ...
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Previously, on a smaller rocket, I attached my rail guides externally on the tube itself before finishing the Rocket. On my LOC/Precision Goblin, I didn't do that. I still must attach the rail guides buttons . . . but the question is how. I've attempted to use the side of the door technique - the fins are too big. I tried using an aluminum angle-iron, but even the 1" ones are too big and tend to bump into my messy filet. I came up with a way to do it, but I'm hoping someone has a magical easy way to do it:
1) Using a string, measure the distance between two fin roots on the side that I'll mount the guides.
2) Mark 1/2 that distance on the string, overlay on to the very rear of the rocket on the engine side and mark a 1/2 point between the two fins
3) Using a string with a weight at the end - perhaps a paper clip, attach that string to the mark just made with some tape.
4) Ensuring that I'm using a level surface, remove the nosecone, detach the cord from the nose cone and stuff the cordage into the body tube with a paper towel to hold it all in .
5) Flip the rocket upside down and put the body tube on the level surface allowing the weighted string to naturally hang down.
6) Mark where the string and the rear-most CR intersect for one and the next above the forward most CR.
7) Drill, mount and glue the rail guide buttons as appropriate for the material. Screw for the rear CR and blind nut for the forward CR.

Input, ideas, Corrections, Easier ways to do it would be greatly appreciated!

Mark!

IMG_2004.JPG

Last edited:
A aluminum angle self aligns to the axis of the rocket, finding center between fins is hardest part but your string trick works gor that. A door frame can substitute for an aluminum angle. Depending on diameter of the tube I keep a selection of angles in 1/2", 3/4",1", and 1.5".

I would use wood screws and CA glue. And I would either just eyeball it or try to use a ruler. No matter what kind of leveling you try do, there are still enough variables to leave you off by as much as 1/16". And you can easily get that close by eyeballing.

As long as you are using two round buttons, that is. Conformal guides need to be much straighter.

Don't forget to sand the paint off where the glue is going and touch up afterwards if you need to.

while it will not help much on your current rocket...I have made it a point to mark my tubes before attaching things to them :). I also like to attach blocks of wood to my centering rings to give me a bigger target to drill into.
Rex

use your string idea, but, I would leave the nose cone on and pull the string tight from center of fins and tip of cone.
Then have someone tape the string down to the rocket now you have your straight line for marking your buttons.

Mark, that sounds right, since your button attachment is an afterthought! :D

I find the center between fins with a Compass.
Open the compass to just larger than the assumed halfway mark between the two fins
put the point on the upper & inner corner of a fin slot. Mark a curve wit the compass.
Repeat on the other side of the tube, on the next fin slot, mirroring the slot location you used previously. Mark another rcurve.
The intersection of the two curves is the center point between the two slots. Run a ruler, angle iron, door jam, etc.. thru this point for your lugs or buttons..

Open the compass to just larger than the assumed halfway mark between the two fins
put the point on the upper & inner corner of a fin slot. Mark a curve wit the compass.
Repeat on the other side of the tube, on the next fin slot, mirroring the slot location you used previously. Mark another rcurve.
The intersection of the two curves is the center point between the two slots. Run a ruler, angle iron, door jam, etc.. thru this point for your lugs or buttons..
But he's saying that he tried all that. Rulers, angle irons and door jambs won't fit. It's a small rocket.

Eyeball it, move on.

Rex, Yup it's a 3.9" LOC tube . . . but with the fins and filets in the way, there isn't much room to work with. I'm going to buy 1/2" angle to help out with this size of rocket. I did the string technique, and it seem like its going to work. I'll guess I'll find out soon enough . . .
Mark

Next time I'll be a bit smarter about the rails.

Mark

Back