Of orphans and homeless shelters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lugnut

Reaction score
The other rockets by buddy had have now found a willing home in my basement. He doesn;t have time to work on them, knows I'll do my darndest to fix them up, and that I'll call hiim whenever I go the field. Its a nice arrangement :)

In this pice we have an old Mars Lander (in REAL rough shape). This picture does it no justice of, its hurting. I had to reattach three legs, one of which was fairly broken in a couple of places, now at least tenatively fixed. The nose cone section is dented up, and theres no real way to get inside and push out the creases. Outside skin is in kind of sad shape too. The Leg entry flanges were all cracked and splayed out form a bad landing, and had to be reglued, reset, in their proper position again. Probably not going to be a flier again, Im afraid (we'll see).

After that are a Centuri X-24 Bug, a Vulcan, and some other little cone thingy which apparently had a Bernoulli effect launch on the pad as the inside of the cone is absolutely toasted. All three of these have seen better days, but thats to be expected of 30 year old paper rockets tossed around in shopping bags in closets for a few decades.

Next we have a couple of Alphas, one older (orange), one newer (red). I had repainted the orange one, and did final assembly of the new one.

The yellow one with red fins to the right of it is next, no idea what it is (help appreciated).

Then we have the yellow and black payloader. Again, need help on the ID, notice the teardrop wood 'feet' on the fins. Started sanding it , needs a paint job real bad.

Behind that is an orignal Groove Tube. This one is fairly heavy (to me). He had flown this last time we went out, and this thing looped like nuts. Any help on a proper CG length so I can check it would be appreciated.

The orange one is a little plastic Alpha-like thing that we threw together in 10 minutes. Looks like a good scrifical 'test' rocket on windy days.

Since my wife and daughter went out with us last time, I thought it wise to have them have their own rockets. For my wife, I took the old Micron rocket, and gave it a purple and white paint job (purple is her favorite color). The pic looks kinda lousy, but its actually nicer looking than what you can see here (lol).

My daughter, likes pink, so I had found this partially assembled old Centuri rocket in the pile of parts in the box of stuff I inherited, and found the other fins for it. Anyone know the heck it is? Anyway, on with the dayglo pink paintjob (her favorite color), added some white stripes, and presto (I didn't have the nerve to paint the original plastic orange nose cone, their just to difficult to come by).

They liked them, so next time we go out, I'll get them to pack their own chutes and motors and play LCO for the day :)

Last pic is to show the Egg Crate, post restoration. I had to recreate the fins from scratch, using the broken shards of one remaining fin to make a template for 4 new ones. resprayed the cone and the new fins black, and I left the original yellow paint alone, as I wanted to preserve the original decals. Came out pretty good.

Originally posted by Lugnut
Then we have the yellow and black payloader. Again, need help on the ID, notice the teardrop wood 'feet' on the fins. Started sanding it , needs a paint job real bad.

The yellow and black payloader is an Estes Constellation - Sandman knows all about 'em :D

Originally posted by Lugnut
The yellow one with red fins to the right of it is next, no idea what it is (help appreciated).

This one looks like a Centuri Javelin - it lacks the decals, but the profile looks right.

Nice to see your giving some old rockets a second chance.

Originally posted by SpaceGarbageMan
This one looks like a Centuri Javelin - it lacks the decals, but the profile looks right.

I think your right. I had never seen one, and had always assumed it was a bigger rocket. 1971 centuri catalog says 12.5", so that must be it. Need to repaint that and get the decals.

PS, figured out the pink one, its a Centuri Tomahawk.

Originally posted by JRThro
That's a Centuri 'The Point'. A member of my club still flies his original one from way back when.

Also, look on Jim Z's site, here:
https://www.dars.org/jimz/kc-13.htm

Thanks for the link, I'll need to print those out and see if I can salvage him, the ring stiffener is burned through.

I guess we have winter for reason ;)

Originally posted by SpaceGarbageMan
The yellow and black payloader is an Estes Constellation - Sandman knows all about 'em :D

Ooo, I just did a search and found Sandman's upscale of this. Serious envy. Sandman, how did they fly BTW?

This is a good find. I personally almost always rebuild a damaged rocket. Sometimes like the original, and sometimes not. Getting a stash of worn rockets would keep me happy and busy :)

Back