Odd'L Rockets Tube Cutting Tool

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

Reaction score
Chris Michielssen just sent me a test unit of his new tube cutting tool and I'm very impressed. Very simple, very easy to use, well thought out, and it produces nice clean, even, cuts.

The Cutter is best understood by looking at the pictures below.

Pic 1: Shows the entire unit from the front. Basically a sturdy L-shaped piece of plastic to position the tube. Another piece of L-channel fits inside the larger piece and is used as a block to position the end of the tube for precise, repeatable, cuts. Tube block is held in place by spring clamps. Chris includes two but I found one worked just fine by itself.

Pic 2: Closeup shows the cutting apparatus. A reinforced slot for a single edged razor blade is cut into the L-channel at a right angle to the tube. I don't know what Chris uses to cut the slot but it's extremely narrow and just the right width to firmly grip the razor blade without any hint of wobble. Keeping the blade firmly gripped is essential to making good cuts. You still need to put a little downward pressure on the blade for it to cut but you don't have to worry about the blade tracking off at an angle resulting in an uneven cut. The instructions do a good job of explaining what little you need to know to use the tool effectively.

Pic 3: Shows the parts included with the tool. I really like the ruler attached to the tool with the Zero-point where the blade will make its cut. Makes it very easy to correctly position the tube.

Pic 4: Shows back picture of the Cutter.

Pic 5: Instructions show the Cutter positioned as in Pic 1, with the suggestion of using clamps to hold it to the table. With the tool positioned like this you use your left hand to turn the tube and your right hand to apply a little pressure to the blade. But I actually found it easier to turn the tool backwards and at an angle as shown in this picture. For whatever reason I found it much easier to turn the tube with my right hand (I'm right handed) and used my left hand to put pressure on the blade. I didn't use any clamps, just my left hand to hold the tool and gently press on the blade. Worked great, and no need to clamp the tool to the table.

Overall, a very simple tool, well thought out and well made. The slot for the blade, the key element to the tool, is very precisely cut, resulting in very nice tube cuts even without a mandrel inside the tubes. Can handle every model rocketry sized tube I'm likely to cut (pictures show BT-50). Not a mass production tool, but a very good fit for the kind of stuff I do.

Really nice job, Chris. I think you're going to sell a lot of these. :)

Steve

Link to Odd'L Rockets website.

Link to JonRocket.com which is the exclusive distributor of Odd'L Rockets products.

CutterFullView.jpg

CutterCloseUp.jpg

CutterWhatsIncluded.jpg

CutterBackView.jpg

CutterBetterForMe.jpg

Just so there's no confusion ... the tube cutting tool is not available yet. Chris is quite the perfectionist and doesn't release any product until it's pretty much ... perfect.

-- Roger

Looks pretty cool - any idea what the retail price will be when available?

Looks pretty cool - any idea what the retail price will be when available?

I should let Chris reply .... but I'm avoiding doing real work .... so ...

The price is one of the things we're trying to work out. The concern is that constructing it requires a lot of work on Chris's part, so he can't sell it too cheaply. We're not sure that people will think it's worth what he might have to charge for it.

On the other hand, I've used Chris's Cutter a few times and it's really slick. It makes cutting tubes quick and easy.

In the past, I've used the technique of wrapping a piece of paper around the tube to draw a line where I want the cut, wrapping masking tape around the tube, then going around it with a razor knife a few times. With this tool it takes less time to complete the job than it takes just to get the tape around the tube the "old" way.

-- Roger

Thanks Steve! I'm glad you liked it. Boy, you're fast on the review end.

I can't take credit for the original design, it's based on the Competition Model Rockets (CMR) body tube cutter designed by Howard Kuhn. I had one back in the 1970s. Where the CMR tube cutter was wood, this one is a dense "plastic". I tried different materials to come up with one that was ultra smooth and wouldn't mark up the tubing.

I found it interesting that you were able to flip it around and cut the tubes without clamping the Cutter to a work table. I'm right-handed too, and used it as in the instructions. But, it's good to know it'll work for all people in different configurations.

Like Roger just mentioned, these tools do take some time to put together, and it's not available - yet. But, I feel like a big vendor now. We all unveil new products before they are actually on sale.

All kidding aside, new products seem to take longer to get out than the planned release date. I have learned great respect for anyone or company who takes the time (and money) to produce a new workable product.

I have just a few ready for sale, they'll be delivered to JonRocket.com shortly.

Now, back to more development of interesting and (hopefully) stable rockets.

Very nice.

I'd like to see one for the angle cuts as well. Like some FlisKits and PermTech rockets.

Although I imaging that would be quite an undertaking.

I should let Chris reply .... but I'm avoiding doing real work .... so ...

The price is one of the things we're trying to work out. The concern is that constructing it requires a lot of work on Chris's part, so he can't sell it too cheaply. We're not sure that people will think it's worth what he might have to charge for it.

Roger,

I think a price range would be useful-at least then you can find out if there's a market for it at that price point.

Cheers,
Jon

Last edited:
someone is going to log in soon and mention the need for an 'internal mandrel". Guess who?

Regarding using an internal mandrel:
It's all covered in the instructions. The only tubing that might be a concern with is the thinner Estes BT-20 and BT-50 tubing. If your blade is sharp there shouldn't be a problem. If needed, you could easily insert a expended casing with a wrap of tape to fit.
With the Cutter tool I include two ST series tubes (thicker Centuri Style) for practice. With any new tool, your first cut may not be useable. But the second, third cuts and beyond should be great!

Ladies and Gentleman ... The Odd'l Rockets Cutter Body Tube Cutting Tool (ORCBTCT) is now available (in limited quantities) at JonRocket.com:

Mangled BT-50s ... crooked cuts ... body tubes cut to the wrong length ... How many times have you asked yourself if there is a better way to cut body tubes?

The Cutter doesn't chop or dice, but it slices through body tubes like butter (butter can slice through a body tube?).

As Seen on TV*, the Cutter takes the drudgery out of tube cutting - making it easy to make a straight, accurate, clean cut every time.

-- Roger
*My Cutter sat on top of our TV for a few minutes last night.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve! I'm glad you liked it. Boy, you're fast on the review end.

I can't take credit for the original design, it's based on the Competition Model Rockets (CMR) body tube cutter designed by Howard Kuhn. I had one back in the 1970s. Where the CMR tube cutter was wood, this one is a dense "plastic". I tried different materials to come up with one that was ultra smooth and wouldn't mark up the tubing.

/QUOTE]

Yeah, mine is getting a little worn out after 30 years of use. I may need a new one soon...:D

This announcement got me off the dime. I finally placed my order and it already shows as shipped.

I put Chris back to work and we have the Cutter back in stock.

-- Roger

I picked one up last night . Should have the Cutter in hand next week. I sure wish it would cut Bt70 & Bt80 tubes:(
I've needed a tool like this for some time. Looks Great:clap:

John

Last edited:
What keeps the razor blade at 90 degrees so it doesn't wonder?:confused:

What keeps the razor blade at 90 degrees so it doesn't wonder?:confused:

My guess is that if you clamp the cutter to a table, you can use one hand to rotate the tube, and the other hand to apply light pressure to the blade.

-Kevin

Hi Brent,
The blade is set in a very narrow slot in the rear wall of the Cutter.
The slot is also a double wall thickness, there is a second, smaller piece bonded behind the back wall. The slot (and blade) goes through both pieces. The illustration might not show it as well as it should.

Remember there is that metal wrap covering along the top of the blade, it makes the blade very steady.

Kevin,
You hit the "technique" nail on the head. Gus (Steve) used it backwards to the way I used it, without clamps! I prefer to have it clamped to the work table. (Two 3" "C" clamps are not included with the tool.) With the tool, I include two two razor blades, two small spring clamps and two practice body tubes.

Thanks guys!

My thanks to all who purchased the first run of the CUTTER tool. If you haven't already received it, your order will go in the mail tomorrow morning.

We are sold out - until Friday!
I have made up the third run of Cutter tools. If you wanted one and didn't get in on the first batch, check back with JonRocket.com on Friday!

To Johnwwa,
Yeah, I wish the tool would cut BT-70 and BT-80 tubing too! But, it's always a compromise with these sorts of things. If the tool were larger to accomodate the BIG tubes, it'd be hard to cut smaller diameter tubing easily. In my experience, most tube cutting is in the smaller diameters.

Thanks for all the interest,

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to getting it. I had been planning on ordering the Oddl line of rockets but had not gotten around to it. The cutter decided me.

Is it here yet? Its been at least 2 days!

Hi John,
You got one of the first three sold! They were sold the first night.
I made six more and they sold quickly - those go out tomorrow morning.

The newest batch (just made today) will go out on Friday!
Whoo Boy! They are not fun to make but worth the effort. I use mine everyday.

There are two new prototypes on the Photo Gallery page at the Oddlrockets.com website.

Last edited:
I got one not long ago - it works as advertised and my cuts, from the very first one, have been quite usable. Neat tool.

Back