Odd Roc - "Another Fine Product From The Nonsense Factory"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateLowrie

Spark Rocket Labs Team Lead
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, I acquired a few rockets from Neil Brown and he threw in his Megaladon Shark Jaw rocket. Some of you might remember this beast from LDRS 2012. Well, it's been staring at me since October just begging for me to light an N3300 up it's butt, so I decided to get it ready for the MDRA Sod Farm in July. The body is originally a Thumper kit from Polecat aerospace. So, the configuration is not really changing but it's going to get a new paint job and reimagining.

Specs

• 10in Diameter body
  • 7' 6" in. Tall.
  • Jaws are almost 4' wide and asymmetric. The slight asymmetry produces a yawing motion in flight.
  • Roughly 125lbs on the pad.
  • Projected altitude is 1100 ft. on an N3300. Note I need at least 3000N average thrust to get it off the pad safely.

Current To-Do List

1. Needs a new av-bay and altimeter configuration
  2. Need to figure out recovery. Neil did it with a 24' chute on the main body. and 8' on the nosecone. I have a 30' rocket man chute. Thinking about bringing everything down on just it. It's ~125lbs on the pad. There is 16 lbs of nose weight to reach the proper stability.
  3. Ground test.
  4. New paint job from my cousin.
  5. Attempt to hone the simulation to account for the jaws.
  6. Find a pad and unistrut rail for the launch. I can't fly it off the trailer launchers.
  7. Complete safety review and launch planning with the BOD and Fred.

MegJaw17.jpgAMEG8a.jpg

That will be interesting to sim. Though off of the top of my head is to do it as a large ring fin. Average the distance of the jaws from bottom to get location. Figure average frontal area to determine thickness of tube fin. Thickness is probably thickness of the jaws as is mass.

That sounds like the right way to do it. May not get that close, but it would be an interesting exercise. This has flown, right? If you have RockSim and an altimeter you might be able to caibrate how well such a RockSim guesstimate can come to reality. I often try to stuff things into RockSim that just won't go. I make assumptions and add parts that aren't really there. I keep telling myself this practice has value.

That sounds like the right way to do it. May not get that close, but it would be an interesting exercise. This has flown, right? If you have RockSim and an altimeter you might be able to caibrate how well such a RockSim guesstimate can come to reality. I often try to stuff things into RockSim that just won't go. I make assumptions and add parts that aren't really there. I keep telling myself this practice has value.

This has flown at least once at LDRS in 2012. Not sure if it was flown again. I don't have the data from that flight, but I do know actual altitude was 1100ft +/- 50ft on an AT N3300. I know the recovery configuration and have the harnesses to weight. That should get me close. I am mainly doing the simulation to verify speed of the pad. Definitely a low and slow flight.

I am also soliciting suggestions on the re-imagined paint scheme. My initial thought is painting the lips bright red lipstick color with pearly white teeth and then to body of the rocket as a cigar. Kinda like a giant female Freddy Kruger mouth smoking a stogie.

This has flown at least once at LDRS in 2012. Not sure if it was flown again. I don't have the data from that flight, but I do know actual altitude was 1100ft +/- 50ft on an AT N3300. I know the recovery configuration and have the harnesses to weight. That should get me close. I am mainly doing the simulation to verify speed of the pad. Definitely a low and slow flight.

I am also soliciting suggestions on the re-imagined paint scheme. My initial thought is painting the lips bright red lipstick color with pearly white teeth and then to body of the rocket as a cigar. Kinda like a giant female Freddy Kruger mouth smoking a stogie.

That scheme sounds cool.

You an me both. I had a friend who wanted to fly a pair of rockets that looked like Fatman and Little Boy. Little Boy not bad- Fatman was interesting.

Note to self: go to July Sod Farm launch :D

Definitely. It should be a go, but final go-no go will be dependent on wind speed and direction the day of. Gotta be careful at the sod farm due to the cramped quarters. I also plan on putting up an L, 1-2 K's, and some smaller EX stuff.

Am I really the only one that finds this hilarious???

Nope...I thought so also. I was there and spent 4 hours trying to get the NC off that rocket [Adam from Mythbusters roped on it] for the Odd roc contest. Some how, concrete dust had got into the airframe and when Bill stuffed the NC on for travel...it was stuck real good. It HAD to come off to prep....but it took severe beating to do it...lol It flew on a N-10,000 V-max.

I flew the TV in the challenge. So yes it was hilarious...but I didn't notice it, in the background, till you pointed it out. Thanks for the memories.

Nope...I thought so also. I was there and spent 4 hours trying to get the NC off that rocket [Adam from Mythbusters roped on it] for the Odd roc contest. Some how, concrete dust had got into the airframe and when Bill stuffed the NC on for travel...it was stuck real good. It HAD to come off to prep....but it took severe beating to do it...lol It flew on a N-10,000 V-max.

I flew the TV in the challenge. So yes it was hilarious...but I didn't notice it, in the background, till you pointed it out. Thanks for the memories.

I wish I was there. The entries all seemed awesome. For anyone wanting background, https://www.largedangerousrocketshipssciencechannel.com/ has detailed background on this rocket. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...as-at-LDRS-XXXI-covering-Bell-Jet-belt-flight has some more background on the odd roc competition.

Got to be VERY careful about the roof of the main building, and Auggie's house.

Agreed. The launch is going to be highly dependent on wind speed and direction. If it's not going to be in the right place, we'll wait for a window or scrub for another time. I'll be working with Fred, Tom and the BOD to ensure that it's launched and recovered in a safe manner away from the trees, buildings and flight line.

At 1100' altitude, depending on where they put the away cell, you'll be fine. I'd say that any day they are willing to launch one of Tom's rockets, you can launch yours. The profile is essentially the same.

Looking forward to it.

Quick update: This project is going to be launch in either November or Red Glare 2018. The MDRA BOD strongly prefers it be launch at Higgs as it's not really covered under the definition of "rocket" as defined in the land owner agreement at the Sod Farm. Which is completely understandable. For July, I am switching gears and launching a 10" diameter extended V2, a 10" diameter bull pup, and the F200 on either M or L motors.

That answer actually surprises me as half the stuff I fly falls in that category. However, my stuff is teeny weenie compared to those jaws. In any event, I hope to see it later this year!

Back