Odd names for rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I am looking for the oddest rocket name you have seen.

Examples:
Heap o' Trash
Lawn Dart
Generic
Cost Cutter
On the Cheap
Garbage
Rebuilt 1,2,3,4
Post Cato
Bucket Recovery
Treed

Post your examples

"the rocker formally knows as Black" or TRFKAB (Did I get that one right?!)

SR-71.. Sorry, but this one just doesn't do it for me as a rocket. Cool plane, yes, but not a rocket. Make it a cluster (the twin engine nacelles) maybe, but not a single..

TARTAR To me, it's either a sauce, or something you get on your teeth.. "We'll inflict much damage on the enemy with our TARTAR!!" "What, we'll give them gum disease?!"

I have always loved "smoking fence post". I don't remember where I've seen it before.

I saw one at an MDRA launch names Sticker Shock. It was entirely covered with decals and bumper stickers.

I remember one from Airfest being announced last year as "I still like Yoga Pants" or something to that effect.

I had one named "Papyrus". The fins and body tube were made from Egyptian papyrus. It flew 8-10 flights and came in ballistic. Tough material but not as tough at G10.

A couple of mine: Hot Pink Suppository of Discomfort, Excess in Moderation.

Ones still under construction: Speed of Dark, Deflagration Fascination.

I had a few.

"The flying funnel of forbidden financial freedom" ( a rocket made from a funnel bought on sale at an auto parts store, which flew on an F motor)
H5 , which stands for "the happy hauler of hairy hillbillies from hell". Flew twice on J motors.
"mid-life crisis". My L3 project. Got a mention on the Vatsaas Brothers website
"The flying flaming trashcan of death". Thanks to Gus for this one. That was my Jart on an M-3700
"instant Karma" Min diameter rocket on a K-1440. Recovered.

There was this one guy around here a ways back that had rocket names such as:

Szegre
FENTON!
the Brucolac
Trang
Luciferon
Future History
Ular 2B
(blame it on the) Blackstar
Lacsar 2
Raspulescent
Swarmprince
Tepes
Cousin Oskaar
Fioranvante
Barborahanzalova
Divertimento #4
Elvun V.
W(er)C
Khap Suhl
Duwhan Vare
Even Gene
Goh Ra
n

Word was that there was a story behind each name, but that is now lost to history.

ssixsixsix

I've got a few designs in the works, but two that I've already built or announced were:

Deep Space OFFl Puns&Jokes (that's a lower case "L" not an "!", making it "Deep Space Awful Puns & Jokes")
Bamboozled (My tribute to my first employer here in China)

After I got my L1 with a PML Ariel, I vinyl stickered it with "Little ALIen" because of its L1 status and its fluorescent green and black paint. I crashed it a couple weeks ago but after I replace the warped body tube I plan to re-christen it "AL1en Resurrection" a la the movie "Alien 4."

Attachments

• hpr.jpg
    hpr.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 58
I had a small traffic cone (about a foot tall) that flew on a G motor. It was the "Flaming Death traffic cone of the Apocalypse". I have another that I call "Half Fast", I'm curious what the LCO will do when he has to announce that....
Phil

Some of my rockets:

Indestructible V
Sheesh Kabob
Sammypooh
Square Banana
Brownian Motion
0.6 Sigma
E.D. (noodle)
Ye Olde Amish Rocket
Mister Victor Vector Force
The Mega Dwarf
The Parawad Pal
Kimono Dragon
The Hornless Unicorn
Possum Free Zone
Grabthar's Hammer
The Lupin Express
The Bluebird of Happiness

Egg lofters:
Eggsterminate
Eggnomious End
Eggstraneous Conclusions

At LDRS 37, Tom Rouse flew a rocket he called "Smoking Anus." On a sparky J, IIRC.

I threw together a little 3-motor cluster night launch vehicle with a blinking nose cone. I called it "'Night, Ned!"

Nobody got the reference.

There was someone at NSL last month that had a rocket called "The Great Blue Balls of Liberty." It had blue ping pong balls in the fins lol and was red/white/blue.

Back