Odd Looking Nose Cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nclennan

Reaction score
I just bought a pack of nose cones and one of them looks odd to me. I've attached a picture. Can anyone tell me what the mass at the back is? It's behind the eyehole for attaching chute and shock cord, so it seems it would just get in the way of those and serve no purpose.

I saw someone on another forum call it a nosecone/tailcone combo, but that doesn't really clear it up for me.

Attachments

• IMG_2275.JPG
    IMG_2275.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 137
Yes, that is a nose cone/tail cone (actually nozzle) combo. Looks like the one from the new Estes Black Brant III and their NC-50 nose cone pack. After sawing the two apart at the narrow waist, you then saw off the "cones" at each end of the tail cone using the grooved lines as guides. You can then use a sanding block to remove any burrs/unevenness.

Edit: See the beginning of page three of the attached pdf. These are the instructions for the Black Brant III from the Estes website.This shows how to cut apart the pieces. The gray areas are discarded. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 001293_BLACK_BRANDT_III.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Yes, that is a nose cone/tail cone (actually nozzle) combo. Looks like the one from the new Estes Black Brant III and their NC-50 nose cone pack. After sawing the two apart at the narrow waist, you then saw off the "cones" at each end of the tail cone using the grooved lines as guides. You can then use a sanding block to remove any burrs/unevenness.

Edit: See the beginning of page three of the attached pdf. These are the instructions for the Black Brant III from the Estes website.This shows how to cut apart the pieces. The gray areas are discarded. Hope this helps!

Awesome! Thank you. I was trying to envision something like that, but your description and the PDF make it quite clear. Now I see that little notch is meant to line up with the engine retaining hook. Looks like you have the engine stick out far enough back so the tail cone won't get melted.

Awesome! Thank you. I was trying to envision something like that, but your description and the PDF make it quite clear. Now I see that little notch is meant to line up with the engine retaining hook. Looks like you have the engine stick out far enough back so the tail cone won't get melted.

I've built 4 Crossfire ISXs that use this nose/tail cone. I've had the rear of the motor flush with the bell mouth, and halfway recessed up the nozzle with no burning or melting occurring.

I've built 4 Crossfire ISXs that use this nose/tail cone. I've had the rear of the motor flush with the bell mouth, and halfway recessed up the nozzle with no burning or melting occurring.
Thanks. That's good information.

Also used on these classics: Satellite Interceptor and Stiletto
https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1296.htm
https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est1323.htm

On some rockets, the nozzle could be for display only, not glued in, so you can remove before flight.

est1323_.gif
est1296@.gif

Last edited:
Back