October Sky VCR alert

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vjp

Reaction score
"October Sky" is showing this Saturday on the "True Stories" satellite/cable network. Three showings, the first one is at 2:15pm (EST).

Originally posted by vjp
"October Sky" is showing this Saturday on the "True Stories" satellite/cable network. Three showings, the first one is at 2:15pm (EST).

Is this the movie or a documentary about the real events that led to the movie?

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
Is this the movie or a documentary about the real events that led to the movie?
It's the movie. I haven't seen a documentary about the making of the movie or about Homer Hickam's life, is there one?

Originally posted by vjp
It's the movie. I haven't seen a documentary about the making of the movie or about Homer Hickam's life, is there one?

There should be! :D:D

Jason

I've just now gotten around to reading "Rocket Boys". Excellent book, rockets or not.

I've read a lot of Homer Hickam books, including Rocket Boys. All of them are excellent. I really enjoy his writing style. Highly recommended.

Did you read "Back to the Moon"? A little over-the-top but a lot of fun.

That's one of the ones I didn't read. That and "We are not afraid."

Originally posted by vjp
I haven't seen a documentary about the making of the movie or about Homer Hickam's life, is there one?
Coincidently, Homer Hickam posted this on <a href="https://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&selm=3b3288d5.0411020533.1d8cfc75%40posting.google.com">RMR </a> just this week-

Universal will release the October Sky Special Edition on January
25th. This release will feature Dolby 5.1 and DTS audio and anamorphic
video. Extras will include:
Feature Commentary With Homer Hickam
Aiming High: The Story Of The Rocket Boys
Spotlight On Location
Production Notes
List price is $14.98.

See his posting for add'l details.

I finally got to see this movie for the first time the other day. I had a touch of the flu and was feeling really weak which probably explains why I cried like a blubbering idiot. I'm not usually that emotional. None-the- less, it was a really good movie. I had heard it was about Vern Estes, but after watching it I see that's not the case. The speceial DVD looks like a must have.

I just watched it for the first time tonight. This could be my new favorite movie. What an amazing story and the movie was very well done.

Originally posted by MaxPower
I just watched it for the first time tonight. This could be my new favorite movie. What an amazing story and the movie was very well done.

what channel?

thanx, Ben

Ben, we rented it from Netflix. However, I was just now reading about it on IMDB and it is going to be on TV tomorrow on the USA channel at 2:00pm and 4:00pm EST

Check it out here

ok...it took some liberties from the book, (and the book from the real events)....but Hollywood does that.

I found the ending touching, and identified with that quite a bit.

Also credit it for getting me back into HPR,...after a hiatus due to a career change and relocation.

BTW: You all know how they rearranged the letters of the title of the book to come up with the name of the movie .......

Really enjoyed the movie, to the point we bought the DVD.

Went to Coalwood WV for the October Sky fesitval, and had Home and the rest of the "Boys" sign the DVD.

If you ever get a chance to go see Coalwood within the next few years, before the festival stops, or the "Boys" get too old to attend - do so. Puts things into perspective; launch site (3 mile walk, vs. movies "ten"), Homer's home, the mill, etc.

My son and I were fortunate enough to get some good one-on-one time with Homer and the "Boys".

Homer really encourages people to read the book "Rocket Boys" over seeing the movie - it's his words and perspective, vs Hollywood hype.

Originally posted by MaxPower
Ben, we rented it from Netflix. However, I was just now reading about it on IMDB and it is going to be on TV tomorrow on the USA channel at 2:00pm and 4:00pm EST

Check it out here

yeah, I asked because I got the last 15min of it on USA the other day. COOL I am home from school so looks like I will watch that and the DSC rocket challenge :)

thanx, Ben

Originally posted by illini
I've read a lot of Homer Hickam books, including Rocket Boys. All of them are excellent. I really enjoy his writing style. Highly recommended.

Same here. I've got the books October Sky (which is the same exact thing as Rocket Boys, just a different title), Sky of Stone, The Coalwood Way, Back to the moon, and I think that's it. All of them are great books.

October Sky really spoke to my 10 year old son. After the movie, he designed his own rocket (on paper). After the holidays I bought him/us (to be truthful!) an Estes starter kit with the Alpha III. Flew that rocket. He was soooo hooked.

Since we've joined the local club, NOVAAR, and have gone to this month's launch.

We need to get Homer Hickam's books!

:) Karl

Originally posted by Karl Rocket

We need to get Homer Hickam's books!

:) Karl

Buy them on-line, from his distributor, and you can have them signed as well.

Back