October Best Rocket Competition - Short And Stout - LPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pem Tech

Notorious Member
Reaction score
Not right now..If I post one it would be only for bragging rights-no prize(s)- as I haven't had time to send out requests for sponsorships(14-15hr days at work do that:rolleyes:)

We'll throw in a Screemin' Green Meenie for the LPR contest....

Show us your short and stout!

I'll enter that contest!

Here is my bestest short and stout!

Pemtech's very own 3FNC jr. Nicely challenging to build, and flies perfectly on a D12-5!

G.D.

DSCF1016.jpg DSCF1018.jpg DSCF1017.jpg DSCF1025.jpg

Last edited:
Please go visit our sponsor this month, Pemberton Technologies, I am sure you will find something there that you want to get! Now, on to the contest, and remember this is an LPR Power Class contest..Scroll down and check out this months theme!

This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or there about) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Double check to make sure you entering in the correct 'power level' thread! Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!). The thread titles will reflect the power level: XXX Best Rocket Competition LPR or XXX Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture should include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR. Example: LPR Estes Hijinx..Put this in the 'title' block when posting.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!).
4. Please no extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Rocket needs to be in your possession/fleet at the time of the competition!
5A. Rockets entered MUST have at least one successful flight. Not simulated, but real world flying through the sky type..with successful recovery.
5b. If proof of a successful flight is documented and the rocket suffers a loss in a subsequent flight, it is still eligible for consideration and will be judged in the 'prior to loss' state.
6. Rocket may be entered into the current months competition only ONCE! Rocket may be entered into a following months competition if it fits the given category.
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month we will be polling on who should win in each class.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

Theme

'Short and Stout' Undertall and Overwide Height Challenged and Girth Endowed rockets..You know the ones, short stubbies akin to the Fat Boy...

LPR, 'F' power and under please!;)

Just remember Rules 5a and b!

So, show us your awesome builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)

Prize this month from our awesome sponsor Pemberton Technologies is: an awesome, truly handsome and very cool rocket- The Screemin' Green Meenie, as seen here!
Pretty cool, eh?

So, let's get those entries in!

Last edited:
I do believe this one would qualify as short and stout.

This is my scratch built Harbinger. A little more detail is here, but the short version is that it is a Starbucks venti frappucino cup and dome lid. The fins are basswood and TTC (through the cup) and for obvious reasons, it has plenty of nose weight. It can take 24 mm or 18mm motors (though it would have to be a composite 18mm, it's too heavy for black powder C motors). I have two nose cones for it, the second without the dowel antenna for launching (it's only fun 'til somebody loses an eye).

It's been launched successfully on a D12, video attached. The second picture is the recovery shot after the flight in the video. Not much for scale to go by in the pictures so:

20.5" tall with antenna, 16" tall without.
Body diameter of ~3.75" at the base of the dome
8.5" at it's widest from edge of fin to edge of fin

[YOUTUBE]eQge66_nRWo[/YOUTUBE]

Harbinger2.jpg

Harbinger3.jpg

My entry into this months contest of short and fat rockets is my replica of the early Venus Bluestone Rocket. This was an early platform NASA (eNtropic Amalgam of Styrofoam Acceleration) was using to test New shapes and materials for high stress flights and acceleration. The outer shell and most of the structural components of the Venus Bluestone is made up of a highly insulative form of Atactic Thermocol with a central core made from a classified combination of cellulose fibers. There is no escape tower on this flight but you may notice the inclusion of an over-pressure vent port protruding out the top of the vehicle.

On it's first scheduled flight many citizens were eager to witness this strange new vehicles first flight. They were disappointed. The countdown was held at t-09:46 when a slight breeze fluttered a lock of the launch controllers fine hair. The weather did not improve and the launch was later canceled and rescheduled. The rescheduled launch was classified. NASA did not want an audience after finding that their primary flight motor might be insufficient for the successful flight of the rocket. They were right. The Bluestone rocket rose agonizingly slow and pitched a few degrees upon clearing the launch tower and rising to an appallingly low altitude before motor burnout. The rocket did however survive and will be launched again as soon as development of a more powerful "C" class motor can be created.

-Z

venus bluestone-9853 small.jpg

venus bluestone-9854 small.jpg

venus bluestone-9856 small.jpg

venus bluestone-9861 small.jpg

Entry period expires at MIDNIGHT EDT tonight(10/21) - or whenever I get home from work, whichever is later- so get your entries in!

Here's mine. It's an upscale Mosquito (obviously), that I call Blood Sucker. 19" tall, BT-80, 6.7 oz, laminated balsa TTW fins, single 24mm motor mount, recovered on a homemade 18" plastic chute. I printed the water slide decal with a color laser printer. First flight was today on a C11-3. A little squirrely off the pad, but it landed about two meters from the pad. Second flight was on a D12-3. Much better flight. It landed in the parking lot, but other than a few paint chips, no damage. It's a fun little flier!

[YOUTUBE]iAz1-3Qnskw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]vXeoiXBsHrY[/YOUTUBE]

01_pad.jpg

10_launch.jpg

11_launch.jpg

14_chute.jpg

15_landed.jpg

Entry period has officially been closed!

Poll to be posted in mere seconds! :)

My entry into this months contest of short and fat rockets is my replica of the early Venus Bluestone Rocket. This was an early platform NASA (eNtropic Amalgam of Styrofoam Acceleration) was using to test New shapes and materials for high stress flights and acceleration. The outer shell and most of the structural components of the Venus Bluestone is made up of a highly insulative form of Atactic Thermocol with a central core made from a classified combination of cellulose fibers. There is no escape tower on this flight but you may notice the inclusion of an over-pressure vent port protruding out the top of the vehicle.

On it's first scheduled flight many citizens were eager to witness this strange new vehicles first flight. They were disappointed. The countdown was held at t-09:46 when a slight breeze fluttered a lock of the launch controllers fine hair. The weather did not improve and the launch was later canceled and rescheduled. The rescheduled launch was classified. NASA did not want an audience after finding that their primary flight motor might be insufficient for the successful flight of the rocket. They were right. The Bluestone rocket rose agonizingly slow and pitched a few degrees upon clearing the launch tower and rising to an appallingly low altitude before motor burnout. The rocket did however survive and will be launched again as soon as development of a more powerful "C" class motor can be created.

-Z

HA!
Love the "crowd" and countdown timer.

HA!
Love the "crowd" and countdown timer.

Thanks. I had fun doing that. Unfortunately I took it out again on Tuesday for a few more launches and suffered some structural damage. I am not sure if it is from the stress of boost from the c6-0 or from ground impact. either way a liberal slopping of hot glue should get her back in the air soon.

-Z

bluestone-9913.JPG

bluestone-9915.JPG

Thanks. I had fun doing that. Unfortunately I took it out again on Tuesday for a few more launches and suffered some structural damage. I am not sure if it is from the stress of boost from the c6-0 or from ground impact. either way a liberal slopping of hot glue should get her back in the air soon.

-Z

Heck, that coulda been from storage and/or transportation... :) Most frustrating sound when I am putting things into my truck, or taking them out, is the sound of cracking foam cups... LOL

Heck, that coulda been from storage and/or transportation... :) Most frustrating sound when I am putting things into my truck, or taking them out, is the sound of cracking foam cups... LOL

Very true. but this time it was it's 3rd flight of the day so.. It at least was damaged in a more dignified manner that day. But I do cringe at every bump and squeak I hear from the back seat.
Between The cat playing on the workbench and the dogs oblivious whip tail I have certainly had a few character marks on my rockets even before the first launch :)

-Z

Back