October 11 CTRA-NARCONN Monthly Launch - Cobleskill, NY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patelldp

Reaction score
2014 is winding down, and the launch season in NY is winding down even quicker. Come on out to Cobleskill, NY on Saturday October 11 to fly with the guys of CTRA-NARCONN. About 45 minutes West of Albany, Adams Farm is a pleasant series of rolling hills in Upstate New York with a 7,500' waiver. Couple that waiver with Tripoli Research rules and we have a great time!

For directions to the launch site, click here.

For a nice overhead view of the field from around half (3,300') of the waiver, watch this:

[YOUTUBE]5ZAmPShLC7o[/YOUTUBE]

To bring a little more interest to this thread, I'll be there and flying a rocket or two.

Performance Rocketry Intimidator 3
54/1050 J225 Swamp Gas
Ozark ARTS1 Altimeter
Drogueless @ Apogee, Rocketman R7 Main @ 600'

Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at July 14, 20147.54.08 AM.jpg

Scratch built 54mm 2 Stager
29/240 H160 Standard staging to a 29/120 G60 Standard
RRC2+ Altimeter in the booster, Raven Altimeter in the sustainer
I plan to have 2 video cameras on this thing...one on the booster looking up at staging, then the second on the sustainer looking down.
Booster will recover on whatever parachute will fit, Sustainer will have a 36" Spherachute for a main.

A few days away...

Plans have changed for various reasons. Issues with some of my 29mm nozzles (why is there a crack in there?) and no time to turn up new ones have led to a different course of action.

Plans now are to fly my Intimidator 3 as stated before, but now I will be flying my Hawk Mountain Bad Attitude on a 54/1400 1543K728 "Plain Jane." The motor is a progression in my testing of this propellant, and one of these days I will actually static fire a handful of them...

On top of that, my dad will be there with his 4" Orange rocket on a 76/1700 Sparky and his 4" Bull Pup on a 38/640 I387 Plain Jane.

Man, you all missed a wonderful day!

We arrived at the field and began setting up around 9:30, and I managed to get 4 flights in with my dad and brother before 1:30! Weather was BEAUTIFUL, wind was low for close recoveries!

First up was my Hawk Mountain Bad Attitude on a 54/1400 K694 Plain Jane. The motor performed almost exactly as predicted by Burnsim, so I was pretty pumped by that! Apogee at 3,166' per the ATHA FC-877 and RRC2+ with a perfect dual deployment. As confirmed by the onboard video, there was absolutely ZERO arch to the flight and the rocket stood on its tail for apogee. Too cool! Here's some screen caps to hold you over until I get off my duff and edit/post videos:

Bad Attitude K694.pngBad Attitude K694 Onboard.jpgBad Attitude K694 Apogee.jpg

Next up was my pops flying a really, really old rocket that had not flown since the first LDRS in Potter, NY. The rocket is essentially a Performance Rocketry Little John fin can (thanks pre-pubescent prophecy!) two 3 foot glassed phenolic tubes, and a Performance Rocketry cone. The motor this time was a 76/1700 zinc sparky using some bigger than usual Ti Sponge. The result was a REALLY loud sparky that booted the rocket up there nicely. The fins are small, the rocket is long, so it wiggled a little on the way up.

Apogee deployment was spot on, but the Perfectflite HiAlt did not fire the main charge despite it reporting continuity on the pad. The match worked with a battery later, so I don't know what the problem was. Smack down was HARD, and to everyone's surprise the two fragile and antiquated Performance Rocketry parts survived unscathed, but the phenolic tube right above the fin can and the altimeter bay were utterly destroyed. The altimeter appears dead, but we'll see if I can get it to boot up and report the altitude. I'm guessing 3,500'.

Screen grabs from the GoPro:
Screen Shot 2014-10-11 at October 11, 20144.31.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-11 at October 11, 20144.32.54 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-10-11 at October 11, 20144.33.55 PM.png

Back