Oct 23rd CMASS LAUNCH

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Coming up in a week :).

J450 in the Magnum
H242 or I357 to a H128 in my Super Glotova.
Maybe my I-Roc will fly with an I130. If I get my package on time, I have a I285R for it :D

Who plans to come? Got anything interesting to fly?

:D

We're hoping to be there for the second half (soccer games in the AM) with the usual collection of birds (nothing new this time around) - solar sailers, rikrek, FFMs, etc.

we be there with the usual plus a new heatseeker and a stingray. and maybe the latest creation but I don't know about flying it as it hasn't passed the string test:mad: :( . else wise we bring the smiles and good attitude. I would like to get in on the great drag race that is planned with my dueces wild. I hope to see all there.:D

I'm planning to come. I'll have my usual assortment of LPR stuff.

I think I'll bring my Orbital Transporter and Astron Cobra from the 70's.

I put mmt's in the scramjets of my NASA Pegasus so I'll be flying it as a cluster for the first time.

Originally posted by rocketdad0934
we be there with the usual plus a new heatseeker ... I don't know about flying it as it hasn't passed the string test:mad: :( .

The heatseeker neads nose weight. Mine was unstable till I added some clay to the nose. The Stingray should be fine.

Originally posted by n3tjm
Coming up in a week :).

J450 in the Magnum
H242 or I357 to a H128 in my Super Glotova.
Maybe my I-Roc will fly with an I130. If I get my package on time, I have a I285R for it :D

Who plans to come? Got anything interesting to fly?

:D

I should be there

A8-3 in the Sprint
B6-4 in the Corona
Maybe my FarScape will fly on a C6-5

Same play book, different page... :D

I also hope to have the Alien8 and the Tri-glide (coming soon :D )

jim

Originally posted by jflis
....and the Tri-glide (coming soon :D )

jim

That's just not right Jim.... :kill: Have fun at your stinkin' launch. :eek: :p

The heatseeker neads nose weight. Mine was unstable till I added some clay to the nose. The Stingray should be fine.

the heatseeker I built did just fine on its own nose wieght, I will check his on the string since you say that just to make sure. thank you.:p :D

im bringing my LOC aura, for my first TRUE midpwr attempt. so far, i've got F20's for it, but if i can find a nice G...i'd prefer a G-35 but i'd do a G-80 to see how well built it is. muhahahaha i've also got an E30 for the estes eliminator, we'll see how that works out. and many extra igniters, as i've been warned about the copperheads.

I have heard much about the CMASS club.Is it open to spectators,and if so,where exactly is it? Thanks,Kurt J.

yea it is, thats why it RULES. its in amesbury, sometimes in tewksbury, but the amesbury launches are a lot better.
here are the directions that i was provided
https://www.cmass.org/directions/to-amesbury.html
the only thing about those is, they're a little vague. when you get off the highway, you want to take a right, assuming you're coming from the south. then, once you get on kimball rd, its not your first right, its your third i think, past the forest entrance, and its a stopsign. take that right. the rest is pretty straight forward. just look to your left once you see the open fields and you'll see a ton of cars and stuff set up. its a great organization. its also free to launch too, so long as you abide by the NAR safety code.:D

I think my directions are easier to follow.

Get off exit 54 from 495N
Make a right
Go straight through the set of lights
left at the blinky overhead light.
Merge left onto lionsmouth road.
Farm will be on the right, turn between the farmhouse and barn, just before the lion statue.

Bring something to fly :)

Originally posted by Kidwoosh
I have heard much about the CMASS club.Is it open to spectators,and if so,where exactly is it? Thanks,Kurt J.

You should check out joining the club. You can find the information here:

https://www.cmass.org/

You don't need to be a member to fly, but joining is a good idea since it supports a great group, it does not cost much.

Originally posted by Kidwoosh
I look forward to going.Do vendors attend these launches? [/QUOTE

yes we do have one very good vendor who happens to be a member of the club. he will sell you a rocket and help you get your rockets in the air and has a great smile too :D

why, *thank* you :)

Yep, FlisKits, Inc. attends many (most?) of the CMASS launches. We bring a full array of kits but rarely any parts. If there are specific parts that you would want, you can order them and specify that you want them delivered at the next launch (assuming we are attending)

Currently, we are planning on attending the upcoming launch this Saturday.

jim

I will be there, probably with the school's TARC rocket, I dont know if we will qualify or just test fly.

Maybe have some other flights, I havent decided yet, II dont have any HP motors but I can at least talk to some people.

oh yeah, when you go to the launch, do NOT let the hotdogs run out without grabbing one. they're good.

I'm planning to be there with my kids and a friend or two.

Got a few new rockets to fly:

Sprint275:
A loose 2.75x upscale of the Astron Sprint (2.6" dia) with a 38mm mount. If the wind is not too bad, I'll be flying it on a H210R. This is a replacement for my HeartRoc and it's 1/8" lite ply fins which cracked in half due to flutter with the H210R. The Sprint275 has 6mm, basswood plywood covered in Bob Smith's Finishing Epoxy. Should fare better.

Traucer:
A 3x24mm cluster 6" saucer. It will have it's first flight on E9s. The D12 launch at Tewksbury was nice and loud.

Wacky Wiggler:
My daughter been putting this together.

-- Jim

oh man...i remember that thing in tewksbury, nice dense smoke trail. that thing was awesome!! i'll have to get video of that one.

Originally posted by r1dermon
im bringing my LOC aura, for my first TRUE midpwr attempt. so far, i've got F20's for it, but if i can find a nice G...i'd prefer a G-35 but i'd do a G-80 to see how well built it is. muhahahaha i've also got an E30 for the estes eliminator, we'll see how that works out. and many extra igniters, as i've been warned about the copperheads.

I've been told that a G80 in an Aura will go over 5000'. That's higher than our waiver.

Originally posted by billspad
I've been told that a G80 in an Aura will go over 5000'. That's higher than our waiver.

If the Aura with the G80 is less then a pound, would that mean that you can leagally bust the waver? Or If you have a waiver, anything you fly, no matter the weight, has to stay below the waver altitude?

If the Aura with the G80 is less then a pound, would that mean that you can leagally bust the waver? Or If you have a waiver, anything you fly, no matter the weight, has to stay below the waver altitude?

If it's under a pound then the waiver doesn't apply. For some reason I thought the Aura was over a pound but just tried a bunch of numbers and if it is a pound it's not going to go over 2000'. In fact I can't find any reasonable combination or weight and drag coefficient to get it even close to 5000'.

Bill

I simmed the LOC Aura with a G80 in Wrasp and got 3348 ft with a G80-10. Empty weight 8 oz., loaded weight 11.76 oz.

It's a model rocket, so the waiver is not applicable. Can't get clear 5000 ft without a good sized H motor.

Bob Krech

Originally posted by bobkrech
Bill

I simmed the LOC Aura with a G80 in Wrasp and got 3348 ft with a G80-10. Empty weight 8 oz., loaded weight 11.76 oz.

It's a model rocket, so the waiver is not applicable. Can't get clear 5000 ft without a good sized H motor.

Bob Krech

Al Buck was convinced his went over 5000' but I don't know where he got the number.

you had me scared there, lol, not that i was going to try a G80 without glass anyway...but yeah, i couldnt imagine this thing doing 5000' on a G, the thing is heavy in the hand. G35's are supposed to tip it to 4500' but still, its less than a lb. i dont plan on putting it up on anything other than an F20 this weekend, i dont have money to burn on a G40 at current, i found some at hobby emporium, maybe next time.;) F20's are supposed to put it between 2-3000', i'll be happy with that.

r1dermon

You should download Wrasp. It's free and you can do your own sims so you won't have to guess how high your rockets will go.

https://www.wrasp.com/wrasp.html

A G35-10 will send the Aura to about 3760 ft, and a F20-8 will send the Aura to about 2780 ft. if there's no wind.

Very few 29 mm rockets will clear 5000 ft on a G. A VB Extreme 29 sims out at 5300-5500 ft on a G-35-10. Basically you need a minimal streamlined 3FNC design weighing about 6 oz w/o engine to do it. Chances of recovering it at Amesbury are near zero unless there's no wind.

Bob Krech

Back