Oct 23rd CMASS LAUNCH

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, wrasp is pretty good, but i have sun/java desktop, and there is not linux version. unfortunately, i would have bought rocksim but i am confronted by the same problem. unless i buy a new computer, im sticking with this linux system...hmmm...new computer....400 dollars, couple new rockets and motors....hmmm....my priorities are with the rockets.
also, i think there is a good chance of recovery with a lightweight rocket on a huge motor. like the apogee aspire, which hits over a mile on an F10, amesbury is pretty big. i'd say a quarter mile in each direction, some more, some less, except directly behind the launch area. as long as winds are 5mph or less, i think it shouldnt be a problem. and considering the rockets light weight, you could get away with a fairly small streamer, which should help. even still, i wouldnt have enough gall to shoot it off unless i had a replacement and i wanted to say goodbye.

it should be a good launch anyway. we'll see how the Aura flies, considering it will be my first aerotech attempt. i shot off a D21 in a star dart(which was not recovered..) but i wasnt the one who set it up. plus, i've got an E30-7t for my estes eliminator, and a package of E9's. so hopefully i get 6 good flights in. actually, i just bought an estes sizzler to replace my beaten up wizard. so i'll probably shoot that off on some B's....who knows, maybe i'll get gutsy and throw in a C6.

Right now I'm planning on being there.
Tethys on a couple H's or I's.
Naked Eclipse (still no paint) on an I or J depending on weather.

I assume the club has a standard rail to use? I need one for the Eclipse.

Gregzo

Yes. CMASS has both Blacksky and 1" 80/20 rail for 1/4" rail buttons.

The waiver altitude for Amesbury is 4900 ft. AGL., however the maximum altitude for J flights at Amesbury is 3000 ft. due to building clearances as per NAR launch rules. (H and I are ok to waiver altitude, model rockets are unlimited.)

A J motor will put the Eclipse over 3000 ft., so you're stuck to flying it with an I.

See you Saturday.

Bob Krech

Thanks Bob for the rail info.

An Eclipse normally would sail over 3K with a J - but not my beast. Maybe a full J.

J285 Pro38 - 2,350
J350W - 2,560
J528LW - 2,700 (Loki White)

These would be the loads I might fly. First flight was with a I211W - It only went to 1,200 feet. Sim matched the flight data (Transolve P6)
I'm sure I'll be weighting it down more once I get 20 coats of paint on it.....

Looks like you are using my Super Pad this weekend :). It has a 8 foot 80/20 rail :).

Before you load that Loki motor, I would like to take a look at it :). I am seriously considering buying the set, and I would like to take a first hand look at it first :).

Also, let me know when you plan to fly the White. I want to get photos and video of that flight :). J528 will be my Megablasts favorite motors, since J500's are hard to come by now :).

i will have a video camera...can't miss a super glotova attempt. plus, i want to get a full length vid of my aura on an F20. and my eliminator(which seperated at the coupling yesterday due to crappy quality glue...) on an E30, threw some epoxy on the coupler and whammo. she's strong as an ox. i totally cannot wait for saturday. there are no words to describe my anticipation right now. :cool:

Super G should fly :)... Repairs to the tubing have been completed... I just put on the first coat of paint. You can almost not tell where the damaged tubing is... although the transistion between new and old paint is not as clean as I would like....

It will fly on either a H242 or I357 in the booster. Staging to a H128. No cluster this flight.

n3tjm - Thanks for letting me use your pad.

No problem on looking over the Loki motors. I have the H144 & J528 case and reloads for each. I would have gotten all three, but the vendor did not have the I305 when I was buying.

Here's a shot of a Loki H144 I sent up @ the 10/2 CMASS launch. A little late on the shot - but it caught the motor nicely.

Maybe you will like this pic a little better :)

LOKI_H144.jpg

The photo even made the Loki site... but the caption needs some editing ;). (https://www.lokiresearch.com/photos.asp)

I also got a video :).

Thanks for letting me take a look at those :).

hmm. that picture gives me an idea for another scratch built rocket. May be I will call it "America the Beautiful." Hmmm. I want to do a rocket that has some American theme to it. That picture gives me inspiration. Darn it! Now, that is all I am going to dream about tonight: building and designing that stupid rocket.
Thanks a lot for posting that picture. ;)

I was just thinking of a "HMS Prince Charles" joke rocket - fins shaped like ears and a british flag paint scheme.

Forecast:
Winds 10 MPH - Gusts to 20.
The J motors are looking less inviting.......

Yeah... but you forget one thing... the forcast always say that. For example, last launch it said the same thing, and the winds was fine.

Pray for calm wind... Robert is bringing a K1000 :D.

:) I got to see three of those go up @ the CTRA Invitational :) !!!

:) Love :) that :) Motor :) !!!!!

[ last launch it said the same thing, and the winds was fine.

Yeah, right. you weren't the one who lost a Solar Sailer over the treeline.
The really far, far away treeline.

I think given the choice between maybe losing a rocket (big chute), and maybe breaking it (small chute), I think I'll go with the small chute from now on.

But my Magnum did land in a tree... but then again... it deployed over them. :). The wind at the last launch was mild. Periods of calm, few gusts during the middle.

The best launch I've ever been to was last year's pack 138 cub scout launch. Overcast with high clouds, ZERO wind, and a 100 acre grass parking lot. About half my launches didn't make it back to the ground as they were caught by the kids :) Rockets go straight up, rockets come straight down. Kinda spoiled me for anything else :p

Originally posted by r1dermon
the windiest was the 10/2 tewksbury launch. whew man. that was brutal.

Yeah, the Tewksbury launch was windy but I didn't lose any. Just a couple of really long hikes.

I lost my Goblin at the last Amesbury launch. A gust of wind came up just as it was leaving the pad and it whipped off the rod at about a 50 degree angle. With a D12-5 it got a long way from the launch area. Bye, bye. Oh well, I guess I can make another one.

yes it was brutle in tewks I lost my Yankee and my brother in law lost his stardart but the duces Wild Was a neat flight it weather cocked hard and then the chute carried right back to about 20 feet from the pad

hopefully i dont lose my aura on an F20, im not worried, all the reviews say the streamer is undersized. anyway, i couldnt find any B's for my sizzler, so i'll have to go with a C6-5. ARG. i know thats going to be lost.
oh, i couldnt get to the hobby shop to get some wadding....does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives? i've thought of plain old toilet paper, but i dont know if the ejection charge would ignite it....

Originally posted by DJ Delorie
The best launch I've ever been to was last year's pack 138 cub scout launch. Overcast with high clouds, ZERO wind, and a 100 acre grass parking lot. About half my launches didn't make it back to the ground as they were caught by the kids :) Rockets go straight up, rockets come straight down. Kinda spoiled me for anything else :p

Where is that 100 acre parking lot?

The Deerfield Fair. They donate one day a year to the scouts as part of their community service program. Otherwise, it's pretty expensive to rent the fairgrounds - I've heard it's around $2,500 per day.

They also provide space on the partking lot for soccer, baseball, and softball fields. The grounds are rented for horse shows and large camping groups.

Of course, during the Fair it's wall to wall cars.

Originally posted by r1dermon
hopefully i dont lose my aura on an F20, im not worried, all the reviews say the streamer is undersized. anyway, i couldnt find any B's for my sizzler, so i'll have to go with a C6-5. ARG. i know thats going to be lost.
oh, i couldnt get to the hobby shop to get some wadding....does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives? i've thought of plain old toilet paper, but i dont know if the ejection charge would ignite it....

Don't use toilet paper!! It will burn.

I use cellulose insulation (dog barf) and I could bring an extra gallon bag of it with me.

I'll just need to be able to recognize you.

I will have the rocket that's my avatar with me so look for it.

Another thing - the lot isn't all in one spot; it's kinda wrapped around the fairgrounds, so things are closer than you'd think. Here are some photos from 1.5 years ago:

https://www.delorie.com/photos/20030518-srl/

Last year the wind was different, so we were on the other side of the lot and further away from the buildings.

The lot is at 43.097N 71.243W if you want to look it up.

Good launch today, I didnt bring any big rockets, just flew stuff with my TARC team. I also helped robert with his 1750 flight and 1050 too, and had a good time BSing with him.

Some good launches, and better crashes...I will let Doug tell you about those

The launch was cold (raw is actually a better word... damp and windy and about 45 degrees F)

Got some great shots. hope to have a photo album up after Cherryfield

Here is a most unique Deuce Kit-Bash ever. I dubbed it the "Torpedo"

Back