O3400 Min Diameter L3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears that more than one fin tip is shredded. It looks a lot like delamination due to heat and flutter.
That might account for it only happening on one fin. Or perhaps process variation on the fins.

The process of the airframe coming apart obviously slows the rocket down rapidly. Is the deceleration slow enough that you could see flutter and/or heat-driven delamination starting at the point of impact? Obviously, the fin will take a while to cool down, but if it takes (pulls a number out) two seconds to slow from M3 to M2, could you see relatively small damage like this from that limited an amount of time?

Asking the question from another perspective, do we have data on how quickly rockets slow down once they start to shred?

Fin Painting 21 May 2021

Plan for fin painting is 4 coats of Rustoleum 2000-degree high temp paint as a base followed by 2 coats of standard black paint and then the blood splatter. This is all really just a cool looking ablative and I don’t expect it too look good after the flight but it should serve its purpose. At least one hour was allowed to pass between all the coats and the last coat of the standard black paint was allowed to dry overnight to reduce the peeling risk when taping for the splatter. To create the splatter look I used some water based hobby paint from Hobby Lobby and a cheap art brush. I got some paint on the tip of the brush and swung/flicked the brush toward the rocket. You can find good videos on how to do this on YouTube and with a little practice it is very easy. To create some smaller droplets I ran my thumb along the brush like a toothbrush. Here is the final result pre clear coat. I plan to use a 2-part epoxy spray clear coat to make it as durable as possible. The clear coat will be applied after the NC is complete and pained as well.

View attachment 471562View attachment 471563

Retainer Prep 23 May 2021

View attachment 471564

While I am waiting for the hardware to get here (Next week hopefully) I am prepping as much as I can. Today I secured the eyebolt in the FWD end of the Aeropack MD retainer that I previously skeletonized. I did this in 2 steps. First, I sanded the contact point between the bolt and the retainer and then wiped it down before applying superglue to the contact surface and threads. I then used a metal rod to tighten the bolt very tightly into the retainer. After the bolt was secured I used a small engine tube I had laying around to made a “mold” around the bolt. I surface prepped the area and then poured in RocketPoxy to act as further “Don’t have a bolt back out and ruin my L3” insurance.

Retainer Mounting 27 June 2021

View attachment 471565

After receiving the motor hardware and checking the fit/marking the location in the airframe the retainer installation began. The skeletonized retainer was prepped with acetone and alcohol. The airframe interior surface was prepped using 60 grit and 220 grit sandpaper and then wiped down with acetone and alcohol. The retainer was threaded onto the FWD closure of the motor hardware using an old avbay lid as a spacer. This spacer insures that the motor thrust ring will seat against the aft end of the airframe (won’t run out of threads). Rocketpoxy G5000 epoxy was used for the bonding and the assembly was set at a 5 degree decline (aft end high) to ensure no excess epoxy moved onto the motor case. The excess epoxy on the FWD end of the retainer was removed with a squared off stir stick and gloved finger. The spacer was removed after the epoxy cured and the final length of coupler that will sit in the airframe is 5.75”.

AvBay Mount Ring Installation 27 June 2021

View attachment 471566

After the Avbay prototyping discussed above the final aluminum mount ring was ordered and after final fitting was epoxied into the NC using JB weld based on possible high temperatures due to Mach heating. The aft surface of the mount ring is approximately 4.25” from the aft end of the NC.

AvBay Sled Assembly 27 June 2021

View attachment 471567

The final versions of the Avbay sled base and mount ring were ordered from SendCutSend and are made of titanium and 7075 aluminum respectively. The Single all thread sled was 3D printed by Additive Aerospace and is a prototype of a product they are developing. After some final adjustments to the fit the CO2 systems, wire retainers and connectors were attached to the sled base. The connecters and wire retainers are epoxied in place with JB Weld 5 min epoxy. The CO2 systems are screwed in place and use electrical tape as a “gasket” on the upper edge of the bottom flange. The taped hole just above and to the right of the right wire connector shown in the right picture above uses an 8-32 hex head screw to help attached the base to the mount ring. The forged eyebolt and cotter pin are the primary load bearing components but the 8-32 screws help to seal the AvBay and aid in resisting rotation.

I don't know if I missed it, but what are the specific wire connectors on the bulkhead in the picture called? Did you have any concern with these shaking loose with parachute whipping around in the free stream during descent?

Flew a minimum diameter (4-1/2") 30000 N-s O3000 in 1992. Survived the flight. The fins stayed on even with a post hole recovery. Pic shows me with the rocket before launch. G10 body and fins. Body tube joint where it's supported by the motor. Stripped the chute at 25K feet, body came in ballistic and broke off just above the motor. The 2nd pic shows the rocket and motor (photo Earl Cagle). I still have the materials to build another one :)
CB110V3.jpg CB110 V3 at Brunos (photo Earl Cagle).jpg

Hi Tony, here are some images of your O-3400 launch from some of my video cams...and the FAR crew that help make things happen looking at the Evolution Space project on the launch padTony launch 11-13-2021.png

Attachments

• GoPro #3 Tony liftoff.png
    GoPro #3 Tony liftoff.png
    844.8 KB · Views: 88
  • GoPro north #1 Tony .png
    GoPro north #1 Tony .png
    441.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Tony O-3400 from Sony video cam image.png
    Tony O-3400 from Sony video cam image.png
    948.7 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC_0060 ed FAR 200 for RF.jpg
    DSC_0060 ed FAR 200 for RF.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
That was due to part of the airframe/NC hitting the fins at breakup. You can see damage down the tube as well.

I want to say first how cool that flight was from the photos and video. Feel proud on how close you were.

Second I want to ask about something that I probably missed, but was a pressure relief hole added to the nose cone?

Flew a minimum diameter (4-1/2") 30000 N-s O3000 in 1992. Survived the flight. The fins stayed on even with a post hole recovery. Pic shows me with the rocket before launch. G10 body and fins. Body tube joint where it's supported by the motor. Stripped the chute at 25K feet, body came in ballistic and broke off just above the motor. The 2nd pic shows the rocket and motor (photo Earl Cagle). I still have the materials to build another one :)
View attachment 490284 View attachment 490283

Tom, you literally broke the mold regarding being a legend. Well, you and Frank (K). You and Frank and your O motors with fins on them are still legendary.

Support the airframe with coupler tubing from the motor bulkhead to the rim of the NC shoulder. You don't even 'need' to epoxy it in place. A few rows of (6) radial screws will suffice. You need to help transfer the loading from the motor bulkhead up to the NC. A conical NC will also help as opposed to an ogive. It will create an oblique shock that will miss the NC transition and lessen the loading on the airframe/NC shoulder interface.

This is a known issue for rockets that experience extremely high G loading at high air density......really fast, really quick, really low altitude.

Love the project.

I want to say first how cool that flight was from the photos and video. Feel proud on how close you were.

Second I want to ask about something that I probably missed, but was a pressure relief hole added to the nose cone?

I did include the pressure relief hole, it was how I armed the avionics as well.

Unfortunately my flight was not a success, there was a failure just prior to motor burnout. Based on the recovered pieces and video it appears there was a NC or airframe failure as all the fins were attached when the vehicle was recovered but the NC, coupler, engine mount and electronics are all gone.

I knew this was an aggressive flight and I’m obviously disappointed that it failed but it has been a great learning experience and I will certainly be back with an improved project.

Thank you to everyone who has allowed me to learn along this journey.

Tony

That was one of the most impressive lift-offs I have ever seen. I could feel the g's just from watching it.

I did include the pressure relief hole, it was how I armed the avionics as well.
The vent hole to allow pressure measurement by the altimeter is in the av-bay. Usually it’s used to arm the electronics also.
For high altitude or high acceleration flights there’s usually a separate vent hole into the compartment that contains the parachute. It’s there to relieve pressure so that compartment doesn’t come apart at high velocity due to pressure differential. Two different pressurized volumes requiring two different holes.
That might be the relief hole REK asked about.

The vent hole to allow pressure measurement by the altimeter is in the av-bay. Usually it’s used to arm the electronics also.
For high altitude or high acceleration flights there’s usually a separate vent hole into the compartment that contains the parachute. It’s there to relieve pressure so that compartment doesn’t come apart at high velocity due to pressure differential. Two different pressurized volumes requiring two different holes.
That might be the relief hole REK asked about.

Good point. I had both types of holes in the vehicle. 2 in the AvBay area and 2 in the chute section.

HASH, that is one gorgeous launch. Sucks that last little bit of motor burn didn't go well, but that's still an amazing feat to be proud of. Debrief & improve, right? Good work!

Back