O3400 Min Diameter L3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

airforcetp1991

Cave Putorium
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I wish I'd noticed that, and taken a look at the pad and rail after the fact. Those pads have been used without incident for rockets and motors in that size class for many years without incident...

It doesn't have a wide base, but its base is a truck tire filled with concrete.
I didn’t notice it when I went back to the pad to get my camera, only later when I looked at the footage.

JoePfeiffer

Reaction score
I didn’t notice it when I went back to the pad to get my camera, only later when I looked at the footage.
I meant noticed when the rocket was going up, so I'd known there was something to look for.
Oh, were you able to establish whether the main deployed at apogee, and why?

airforcetp1991

Cave Putorium
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I meant noticed when the rocket was going up, so I'd known there was something to look for.
Oh, were you able to establish whether the main deployed at apogee, and why?
That footage was 120 FPS slowed down about 10x so I think it would have been nearly impossible to see it real time.

So I downloaded the data and the Raven4 functioned correctly in terms of the main and apogee charges. There was no damage to the airframe or avbay so it wasn’t a structural failure of any kind. These leads me to believe the RRC3 erroneously fired the main at/near apogee. This is the 3rd flight on this redundant dual deploy setup and the previous 2 were similar in terms of acceleration, Mach and altitude so I’m not sure what specifically caused the RRC3 to malfunction. I’ll plan to use dual Raven4s in the future.

Tony

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
Tower I used in 1990 and 1992 for minimum diameter O motors (4.5")
From 1992. Parts for the tower, 8' 2" conduit, plugs to fit the conduit bolted to the plywood top and base. Not adjustable. Saved the metal parts and made new wood parts as needed.
CB110 V3 twr parts 2.jpg
Here it is at the pad for LDRS XI. (L-R LDRS Launch Director Pius Morizumi, Earl Cagle with the camera, I'm installing the igniter, and John Cato keeping the rocket from moving.
Cb110twr1.jpg

airforcetp1991

Cave Putorium
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
From 1992. Parts for the tower, 8' 2" conduit, plugs to fit the conduit bolted to the plywood top and base. Not adjustable. Saved the metal parts and made new wood parts as needed.
View attachment 465087
Here it is at the pad for LDRS XI. (L-R LDRS Launch Director Pius Morizumi, Earl Cagle with the camera, I'm installing the igniter, and John Cato keeping the rocket from moving.
View attachment 465088
Thats awesome, I love that it is so simple and purpose built for the specific rocket. Given how infrequently I’d use the tower that idea is becoming more and more appealing to me. Just priced a 1515 aluminum extrusion adjustable tower and it is like $700 with shipping…

airforcetp1991

Cave Putorium
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 465087
View attachment 465088
Did you machine the top pieces that attach to the plate yourself?

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
Did you machine the top pieces that attach to the plate yourself?
Yes. Used a piece of 2" 12L14 steel. Drilled and tapped for a 3/4" screw. Turned OD until it fit the conduit. About 3" long. 6 pieces, 3 for top and 3 for bottom. Bolt to plywood, then it will slip into the conduit.