O-ring Grease

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhigh

Reaction score
I'm curious as to which type and brand o-ring grease people on this forum are partial to using in aerotech reloads ? I'd like to find a good grease that when greasing the liner it will allow it to easily be removed from the casing. I've had some of them liners gets stuck real good previously.

I use the radio Shack stuff. it comes in a white tube and will probably last a year of flying in a 29/40-120.

I have used Vaseline, but have a tube of Dow 111 on order

Look for it on Loki's webpage and mcmaster carr

Appreciate the lead on the dow 111. I just ordered some from Mcmaster Carr............

Originally posted by Ryan S.
I have used Vaseline, but have a tube of Dow 111 on order.
Vaseline does not hold up very well in the heat produced by RMS motors. There are better choices.

Dow 111 is good for lubing your RMS o-rings but I highly advise against using it to lube your commercial RMS motor liners because it is actually too good. That stuff will stick to and lubricate anything you touch with it and it is a bugger to clean-up. It is hard to get off your hands and hard to get the dirty lub-and-propellant gunk out of your motor casings. Dow 111 is good for lubricating mandrels when casting propellant. When using Dow 111, rule #1 is "a little dab'll do ya."

As has been mentioned, the Radio Shack grease is good, but my personal preference is a high-temp automotive grease which can be purchased at any auto parts store in a tube or can for a few bucks. I use this type of grease on my RMS closure/case threads, liners and O-rings, and the liners practically fall out of RMS motors. I use WD-40 and paper towels or pre-wetted baby wipes for general cleanup. I get out the Hoppe's #9 gun cleaner when there tough propellant residues that need attention.

HTH, --Lance.

thanks for the info llickteig I was just going to use if for O rings

Just remember not to get grease on the delay. Grease seams to change the burn rate making it longer, and it doesn't take much grease to grease the O rings.........Larry

I've had great luck with white lithium grease. I swiped a small photo cannister full from a can at work and it is lasting forever, but I believe it can be purchased at Home Depot...

Originally posted by RocketmanTM
I've had great luck with white lithium grease. I swiped a small photo cannister full from a can at work and it is lasting forever, but I believe it can be purchased at Home Depot...

Home Depot and Lowe's both. I've had my eye out for it.

BTW, is spray lithium grease OK, or is it better to use the stuff in the tube?

Never tried the spray stuff, but most everyone I've seen down here in San Diego uses the stuff in the tubs.

I just recieved my tube of Dow 111 sealant grease from McMaster Carr. Ordered on Sunday and recieved here on Tuesday! Now that's great service.

I looked at the grease and it resembles like a white lithium but claims on the tube it is mostly silicone for applications of 450 degrees.

On the box it says it's designed for Rubber and Plastic Orings, Gaskets & Seals. The best thing is that it has absolutely no odor what so ever.

Back