Nypower X/nsl 2003 Dvd

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
I got my copy of the NYPOWER X/NSL 2003 DVD today. I did not go to NYPOWER, but I was present at NSL 2003. I saw familar faces on both DVD's, including Jim Flis, Carl Tulanko, Ed Miller, Joel Rogers, and Robert DeHate.

On the NSL coverage, I saw the following launches from TRF members.

Doug/Ryan

American Spirit (7 G35's)
Hybrid Mirage (H70 Hybrid)
LOC V2 (Doug's I357)

Doug
G69 Minnie Magg

Ryan
G69 EZI-65
Ellis G35-6 LOC VII

Jim Flis
ACME
D Deuce's Wild

Carl Tulanko
38 Special (Super Deuce)

I was impresed with the video quality... the only negative thing is the DVD is recorded on DVD-R.... most drives only support DVD+R. Fortuantly, my DVD+RW drive can read -R disks :)

I need to get myself a DV Camera... so I can make a TRF Meet DVD :D

Did a big blue and cardboard Magnum make it on? flying on a K240 RATT?? I would hope that made it...

Also, Chuck got my small, black pyramid on an F20...

I wanna be popular too!

all of those should be in NYPower

Originally posted by DPatell
Did a big blue and cardboard Magnum make it on? flying on a K240 RATT?? I would hope that made it...

Also, Chuck got my small, black pyramid on an F20...

I wanna be popular too!

all of those should be in NYPower

Yes, I saw both your Magnum and Pyramid :)

And Carl, your 38 Special Pad Interview was also present :).

Very Sweet videos :)

Woo hoo! Carl's cinematic debut! Hey - you better get West, young man...the Oscar's are this Sunday.

In all seriousness - congratulations to all who made the DVD, and Carl - you're right. You need to get one! And bring it and a laptop to VOA to share...lol

Loopy

Loopy...not gonna happen man...it will be a private showing. Besides, none of my laptops have a dvd player.

Carl

I got Chuck's DVD's and think they are great. First off, I was amazed they played in my DVD player. The disk I got from Chuck last year wouldn't play in my older DVD player, so I had to have a friend tape it for me. But not this year, it played perfectly.

Yes, there are a couple pad interviews. I look forward to more of those (always nice to hear the info about the rockets, etc). Also a few really cool 'pad cam' shots.

-Rich

wow, I made it one tape....nnnnice....looks like I will have to buy one

Rich

I must assume because I spent a fortune in DVD authoring software for this year it was money well spent if they played properly for you! DVD-R is a bit more mature (by less than a year) than DVD+R, so this update should play in 98% of the DVD players sold in the last three years. And if it doesn't play on your computer, so far everyone who has a DVD player on their computer has only needed a software update. They seem to be out there, somewhere.

Originally posted by Chuck Rudy
Rich

I must assume because I spent a fortune in DVD authoring software for this year it was money well spent if they played properly for you! DVD-R is a bit more mature (by less than a year) than DVD+R, so this update should play in 98% of the DVD players sold in the last three years. And if it doesn't play on your computer, so far everyone who has a DVD player on their computer has only needed a software update. They seem to be out there, somewhere.

You sure about that? Everything I was read about DVD's said that DVD+R was more compatable then DVD-R. Matter of fact, the box on my HP DVD+RW drive says it can read -R disks so you can convert your existing -R disks to +R to use in more players...

You sure about that? Everything I was read about DVD's said that DVD+R was more compatable then DVD-R. Matter of fact, the box on my HP DVD+RW drive says it can read -R disks so you can convert your existing -R disks to +R to use in more players...

I was burning -Rs three years ago when + hadn't really caught on. It's just another DVD war which will get really ugly when the new micros come out. Another rocket fella I know got a +R burner and at the time he had about a 30% deny rate. I've run about 3% over the last three years. The +- should not matter on any new DVD players, unless they are really, really poorly made. I can get an update to read + but have yet to need it, no one's ever sent me one, and I've gotten a solid dozen DVDs from people. So I just go by what everyone around me has experienced, failures cost money and customers.

Ok. Do you know where I can find info to figure out what the differences are... because people do ask, and I don't know :(

When I first started doing this (in the wedding world) we would have to burn a disk and physically take it to Best Buys and try it in as many machines as possible. If we were fortunate we found out what kind of a player the new couple had and found one in the store to be sure it would work. It then became more simple when manufacturers would announce DVD-R compatibility on the machine itself. Most everyone who started way back when had only DVD-R burners so that is where we all concentrated. Now for over a year manufacturers pumped out DVD-R readable players for TV before DVD+R ever made it out of the gate. Understand this is only a bit over 2 years ago, so if you are making DVD+R you will not be read by the entire generation of DVD players still out there which were fully -R compatible.

Now understand rocket people are a bit different. They seem to watch DVDs on the computer rather than the TV, so +R and -R are a mute point as they can read either format. (Remember the interlacing of TV and computer monitors simply do not match up so what you see on your computer is a compormise. Video comes from TV, that is where it looks it's best.) Or they have the capacity if the user so chooses. Since I do more than just Rocketry stuff I have to be compatible with as many people in this world as possible to elilminate returns. Most of the world watch DVDs on the TV, -R is what everyone has had compatibility with since the beginning, and unlike beta and VHS the standalone players built now can read both. It's simply a different format for the machine to read, it's quite simply a matter of adding one more chip to a new machine. Right now your standalone player reads (I believe) 6 different formats, the only two which can be produced off a computer are +R and -R........

So basically anything new will play either, computers can read either but for now only write in one format. So for a company selling disks tellng you to go redundant and use both formats seems to me to be just a line to sell more, after all that's their job. They are trying to convince you to buy more of their product whether you really need it or not.

The bottom line is once the early generation of -R only machines have been replaced it will matter not a whit whether anyone burns in +R or -R. But it will take time. For now I'm staying compatible with as many as possible.

Just wanted to say thanks for discussing this.
I've got a DVD-R burner that I've had for about a year now.
At the time I had 2 set top DVD players and only the oldest would play the DVD-R, the newer one would not. Now the older one was a high end Panasonic while the other was a cheap unheard of brand from Target, so that could be the difference. Since then I have gotten 2 more set top players and both will play everything.
However almost all of my friends and family's players will not play the DVD-R, but it does seem to be a matter of age. The newer players work, the older ones do not. I don't mean to repeat what's already been said, but I'm glad to know that it's the players and not the format of the burner.

Thanks.

Tim

If you are going to buy a new DVD player make sure it says on it (you should be able to ask the salesperson and they should know) that it will play both +R and -R, simple as that. The first generation DVD players starting in '97 did not play -R, in '00 the second generation played 85% -R, so even though it was available it was not in all players. I would venture to guess that there are still models here and there which don't have both formats today.

Just a few years ago they were wondering who was going to win the war of DVD formats, my guess is there will be no winner and both will coexist until they are passed by. It is not like the VHS-Beta war because there is no physical difference in media or players, the only losers in DVD were DVD-RAM because of their physical difference. In HD they are hoping to avoid all the confusion with one single format, which is now HD-DVD. I'm hoping they succeed. Enough of that stuff, my head hurtz.

First off, where are my manners, thanks to Dan and Rich for the kind words about the DVD. I do appreciate the kind words. For those who may be on the fence about purchasing the DVD here's something to check out.

I've dropped a 1.6 meg Quicktime movie of the Music Video from the DVD onto the backside of my website. If you are younger than 40 turn up the volume, if you're older than 40 you may want to turn the volume down a tad......if you're as old as me you can adjust the volume via your hearing aid

The rest of the DVD is a bit quieter, except of course the sound of the boost, and it covers your screen with a bit larger picture.

Thanks to the CalmInSight crew for all their stuff. Music is ©CalmInSight, video is ©VooDoo Digital Productions.

NYPOWER X music video by CalmInSight

Here is the DVD faq which will answer any questions pertaining to DVD compatibility........

DVD player matrix

Scroll down a couple to dispell any myths regarding plus or minus preconseptions. It now appears the color of the underside of the DVD may have more to do with reading or not reading a disk these days. Plus and minus are near cross compatible excepting when you write to the disks. It appears the 'war' is over and they will both hit the wall (16x) speedwise in a short time.

Darn, my Magnum didn't make it in there:/ jk, it's awesome!!!

Chuck - I ended up building and flying the Monocopter24 on the E6 motor you gave me at NYPower. It was a great flight! Thanks again for the motors and I hope you got good video of the 2nd flight of the pyramid!

Dan

After a bunch of experiments with Ed Miller's monocopter I found the E6 is THE motor for that machine. I'm glad to hear it did well. One question....did it autogyrate on the way back to earth? I appreciate you sending up your pyramid an extra time for me. Hope to see ya at LDRS.

Chuck

Yea, mine auto gyrated on every motor I've flown it on. It has flown on 4 D12's, an E11J and the E6. The E6 was awesome. If you have anymore I'd like to buy a few from you if you'd be willing to part.

I have 2 24-40 RC casings that I won in a raffle...I need to get some reloads! A fellow CTRA guy is building the Alien kit, and has 2 E6 reloads that we are going to drag race. Should be cool!

See you at LDRS!

Also forgot to say that I upscaled the design to 38mm. Should fly on the Ellis H50 long burner for a cool flight.

I just upscaled a mono to 32 mm, so it will fly on the AT G something or other, 12 I think, or the super secret (not to be talked of) G something lower, like 8. That reminds me, I've go some building to do this weekend. As far as some more E6s, stop in an see me at LDRS and I'll throw a couple your way. Let me know when you're putting something up, we'll shoot it and hopefully it will make it to the final show, or possibley the music video!

Back