NYPower 21, May 27-29, 2017

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EeebeeE

Reaction score
Come to Geneseo, NY for one of the only truly International annual rocketry events of the year...NYPower. Fliers from Canada and the US have been taking to this skies every year since the late 1990's in a historic airfield now known as the National Warplane Museum in Geneseo, NY (Home of "Whiskey Seven" - one of the lead patatrooper plans at D-Day).

It is a great weekend in late May, with not-too-hot temperatures, a 1-square mile mowed grass field, surrounded by tiny, freshly-planted crops.

Plus, The New York Finger Lakes region and one of the most favorite state parks in the US, Letchworth Sate Park, are within a half-hour drive. Lake Ontario is 35 miles to the North, Niagara Falls and Lake Erie are two hours away, and the Southern Tier Mountains are to the south. Some of the best white and ice wines in the world are from this area. Who knows...we might even get buzzed by a vintage WWII military airplane.

So if you are thinking...New Mexico is a loooooong way away...Come fly with some of the friendliest rocketeers in the hobby in Western New York. We have a recently increased 12,000' AGL waiver, and we are equipped to fly everything from Micro Maxes to M-powered rockets. Visit https://www.nypower.org for more information and to register. While you're there, take a look at some of our featured flights.

Last edited:
I had a great time last year despite the 92F heat we had on the Saturday. I'll be there again this year for sure. Seeing those old warplanes is a treat as well.

Nice logo! and really cool that you were able to increase your waiver, that never seems to happen. Should be a great event!

Nice logo! and really cool that you were able to increase your waiver, that never seems to happen. Should be a great event!

That was a bonus this year. Should make it a lot more fun. I for one am going to try to send one up over 10,000'. I have a Rocketry Warehouse Scarab that can do it.

Planning on being there at least one day - possibly for an L2 attempt on a Madcow Frenzy.

Chris

Oh man what a great time this is..
It's such a beautiful field..
My wife Sandy and I had a fantastic weekend last year for sure..
Ya know, your really not kidding, seeing the WWii birds flying sure is an added bonus to the launch..
For the last 2 years in a row I absolutely promised myself to go over to the warbird museum..
I have always been into aircraft, especially vintage,, what a treat that would be..
But I am always so into the launch that I don't bother going over to the museum,, silly right ??
I can't wait,, wouldn't miss this for the world..
This is one of the biggies on the east coast for us....

Teddy

Love the logo. Would there be a way to get a shirt without attending?

I wish I could attend. But there would be great turmoil in the family if I even suggested it. :rant: :kill:
Something about attending my Son's wedding on that Sunday.... :rolleyes:

Oh man what a great time this is..
It's such a beautiful field..
My wife Sandy and I had a fantastic weekend last year for sure..
Ya know, your really not kidding, seeing the WWii birds flying sure is an added bonus to the launch..
For the last 2 years in a row I absolutely promised myself to go over to the warbird museum..
I have always been into aircraft, especially vintage,, what a treat that would be..
But I am always so into the launch that I don't bother going over to the museum,, silly right ??
I can't wait,, wouldn't miss this for the world..
This is one of the biggies on the east coast for us....

Teddy

Teddy, you should check out the museum. We took the tour last year and it was fantastic. There's nothing like standing under a B17.
Unfortunately we wont make it to NYPower this year, I'm only allowed one big rocket event a year, and this year it's LDRS.

Teddy, you should check out the museum. We took the tour last year and it was fantastic. There's nothing like standing under a B17.
Unfortunately we wont make it to NYPower this year, I'm only allowed one big rocket event a year, and this year it's LDRS.

Yeah Mike,, I promised myself I would check out the museum,, lol..
I'm really glad that you're going to make LDRS,, that'll be a great launch as well for sure...
I remember you had a bit of a difficult time last year with getting time off ?? for your kids maybe ??

Teddy

Yeah Mike,, I promised myself I would check out the museum,, lol..
I'm really glad that you're going to make LDRS,, that'll be a great launch as well for sure...
I remember you had a bit of a difficult time last year with getting time off ?? for your kids maybe ??

Teddy

Yeah, that was this year for LDRS, but the testing schedule changed so now everyone can enjoy some large dangerous rocket ships!

Hope everyone had a great LDRS... Next up?

NYPOWER 21. Among our featured flights are a full scale Patriot, some Upscaled Maxes, and a big Nike Smoke. This isn't just for people on the East Coast. Cities within 3 hours driving time include Toronto, Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse. Cities within 6 hours include Detroit, Columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Montreal, Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore, Washington, Albany, and Hartford. We are within 9 hours of Boston, Portland, ME, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Chicago, Charleston, WV, Richmond, VA, and Quebec

C'mon down. Hotels are as close as 7 minutes away, and camping is available at Letchworth State Park (one of the prettiest state parks in the US), about 20 minutes away.

While I have only missed one NYPOWER since 13, keep a few things in mind if you plan to to go:

1) It is a boatload of fun with some great people
2) Even so - (at last count) - no HPR clustering, no airstarts, no staging
3) The folks are very defensive of their privilege to fly at the HAG. That means they maintain strict controls over launch angles in order to keep recoveries away from the museum.
4) Did I mention it is a really great place to fly and a fantastic bunch of people to fly with?

While I have only missed one NYPOWER since 13, keep a few things in mind if you plan to to go:

1) It is a boatload of fun with some great people
2) Even so - (at last count) - no HPR clustering, no airstarts, no staging
3) The folks are very defensive of their privilege to fly at the HAG. That means they maintain strict controls over launch angles in order to keep recoveries away from the museum.
4) Did I mention it is a really great place to fly and a fantastic bunch of people to fly with?

5) And almost everyone will get their rocket back (within reason) due to Nat's (Upscale CNC) scouting and tree recovery gear. And this year he has a super tricked up drone!

This is big news... Nat's slingshot may be used a lot less now that the row of rocket-eating trees is GONE!!!!! All the more reason to come fly with us.

Rocket Eating Trees.jpg Rocket Eating Trees Gone!.jpg

This is big news... Nat's slingshot may be used a lot less now that the row of rocket-eating trees is GONE!!!!! All the more reason to come fly with us.

View attachment 318682 View attachment 318683

No way that row of trees was removed, that's a win for the rocket gods! Having said that I have had more close calls with the trees at the far end of the field, the row they removed, although always made me nervous, I always seemed to stay clear of.

This is a mowed grass field with drainage, we were there last weekend, and it was fine!

That's good news! Thanks.

With the torrential rains we had recently it made me think about NYPower18 and the standing water on some areas of the field we experienced.

Looking forward to the upcoming launch.

Here's hoping for clear skies and low winds.

Ok Rocket people time to step back in time and reach way back in your closet and look for your oldest NYPOWER t-shirt. Why you may ask… well whoever brings the oldest NYPOWER t-shirt to the LAUNCH21 will win a AMWPROX gift certificate for$25.00. It’s not required that the shirt still fits!

You know how Robert and Gloria from AMW love to have fun well they did it this time they forgot to close one of the cages tightly and one of the animals has escaped for NYPOWER21 which one will it be:
3 inch 54mm dual deploy ready retail for $179.99 5 foot tall
The Red Rhino (Red Fiberglass Tube)
The Squirrel (Brown Fiberglass Tube)
The Blue Baboon (Blue Fiberglass Tube)
The Purple Parrot (Purple Fiberglass Tube)
Purchase your raffle tickets now in order to bring one of these animals home with you….

Buy your raffle tickets for the newly released Red FiberMAX Kit

Newly Released by AMWPROX RED FiberMAX will be raffled off at NYPOWER21 retails for $99.99
The Mega Der Red Max launches on composite motors, has through the wall fin mounting with black G10 fins for superior strength. Though massive looking, the construction of this kit is not difficult. Building and finish work can easily be accomplished over a few days.
Sure to be a collector's item, the Mega Max is just waiting for you!
Specifications and Features:
Length: 40 in. (101.6 cm)
Diameter: 4 in. (10.2 cm)
Estimated Weight: TBD oz. (TBD g)
RED colored Filament wound fiberglass airframe
Black colored Filament wound nose cone with blunt tip
Black 3/16in G10 fins
54mm motor mount
Nose cone dual deploy capable

Preregistration ends Monday May 22nd 2017 at 8am. This will also be the last day to buy discounted raffle tickets!!!

Hi, just to clarify, I purchased a book of raffle tickets at registration (a few weeks ago). Are these tickets applied to the above?

Weather is shaping up to be great. Late Western NY spring days... A little breezy but no heavy wind, highs in the Low 70's, and right now very little chance of rain. Partly cloudy to mostly sunny skies. This could be the some of the best rocket flying weather of the year in the Northeast.

All of you fence-sitters, check out the 10-day weather forecast for Geneseo, NY.

Praying that this forecast holds out.

Back