NYPower 14: July 24,25,26

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingarcher

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Even though NYPOWER is sandwiched between LDRS and NERRF this year, we're still putting on the show. Rocketry in Geneseo is just too good to pass up, so......

Here's the scoop:

NYPower 14 will be held July 24,25,26 in Geneseo, NY. This is the field that has hosted an LDRS, two NARAMs, and at least one NSL. Roughly 900 acres of treeless plain, about half of it in cut grass. It's also the airport for the 1941 Historical Aircraft Group (HAG)- current home to "The Movie Memphis Belle"; a B-17G, plus the museum's own D-day vet C-47, as well as many other aircraft.

NYPower is hosted by the MARS club (NAR 136) and can support motors from 1/8A to N. There is a fixed 9K waiver for all flights, all the time. It is located about 5 minutes from downtown Geneseo, about 10 from an interstate (I-390), and about 20 from shopping, lodging and eating in the Rochester NY area.

NYPower 14 will be hosting two vendors for your kit/material/motor/hardware/electronic buying needs: Hangar 11 and Performance Hobbies. We're in the process of securing the HAG to sell those tasty Angus burgers for lunch. EDIT: QModeling will be on site again this year! Look for their high-quality original designs and upscales of some of the great classic Estes kits.

NYPower is the perfect place to certify at any level because it's a low stress, laid-back launch. The MARS club has a patent-pending system for getting you on the pad and in the air as quickly as possible. If you need to fly 6 times a day, come to Geneseo in July! Bring your family- kids are welcome and encouraged to fly.

Details and registration can be found at the NYPower 14 website: www.nypower2009.com

Nat Kinsey
MARS President
NYPower 14 LD

Always a great launch on a great field put on by friendly folks.

I'll be there to burn some AP.:cool:

Al

Seeing as I am nearby now, I will prolly make it there.

NYPOWER is only a week away.

Please remember to complete a BFR entry if you plan to fly L impulse or complex-K or larger so we can be ready for your flight.

Its going to be a great launch and the B-17 and Normandy veteran C-47 will be onsite for the event. You can walk right under the wings if you want to see one up close.

Also if you want to arrive early, cadets from West Point will be practicing parachute drops all day Thursday on the field.

NYPOWER is only a week away.

Please remember to complete a BFR entry if you plan to fly L impulse or complex-K or larger so we can be ready for your flight.

Its going to be a great launch and the B-17 and Normandy veteran C-47 will be onsite for the event. You can walk right under the wings if you want to see one up close.

Also if you want to arrive early, cadets from West Point will be practicing parachute drops all day Thursday on the field.

Down to less then a week to go, Let's try to get them BFR's in before Wednesday, leaving Thurs morn

Joel
NYPOWER 14 BFR dude

"Just fly the damn thing"

Down to less then a week to go, Let's try to get them BFR's in before Wednesday, leaving Thurs morn

Joel
NYPOWER 14 BFR dude

"Just fly the damn thing"

Don't forget my M dude...:)

PS. I have the hardware.

Looking forward to this weekend. I will be there all day on Sat. and Sun. My plan is to fly 2 rockets:

LOC/Precision Weasel: F52-11T, G71-10R, H128-14W
PML Phobos: I316-14 Spitfire

Odds are the H128W is too much motor for the Weasel, but it should be interesting none the less. Everyone likes a good shred. If it holds together, that is fine too! :)

Well, the weather isn't looking too great for Friday, not a whole lot better for the weekend either...

I will still be making the trip out early on Saturday and Sunday and will hope for the best. Some of the higher altitude flights that I have planned may have to get scrubbed.

Hope it clears up and allows for some good flights!

-Dan

Looking forward to this weekend. I will be there all day on Sat. and Sun. My plan is to fly 2 rockets:

LOC/Precision Weasel: F52-11T, G71-10R, H128-14W
PML Phobos: I316-14 Spitfire

Odds are the H128W is too much motor for the Weasel, but it should be interesting none the less. Everyone likes a good shred. If it holds together, that is fine too! :)

I spank the Weasel (that ought to get a demerit) with H210R and H250G. Holds together fine. You rigged for DD or plan to go chase it?

I spank the Weasel (that ought to get a demerit) with H210R and H250G. Holds together fine. You rigged for DD or plan to go chase it?

It's built with Aliphatic resin, and no dual deploy. Also, it has friction fit motor retention. It's ghetto to say the least.

I flew a dual deploy weasel on an Aerotech I245G at last year's NYPower. The goal was to hit one mile of altitude. The rocket quickly went out of sight, and I failed to recover it at the event.

I e-mailed mars this spring to see if it had ever turned up. It had. :clap: One of the mars guys was kind enough to mail it back to me (I reimbursed the postage charges). It's still in decent shape, but the paint looks terrible after spending 6 months in the dirt.

The altimeter (a hi-alt45) was still working. The altitude of the flight? 5236' just a wee bit short of the goal. :(

-Eric

I am sure that if I had built it as I usually build rockets, it'd take anything including my 29-450 EX case. This rocket was built at college with wood glue, basically as something to do. I never intended to fly it on much more than an F or so, so it's kinda weak.

If it shreds on any of the motors, I will buy another and build it appropriately...and then proceed to torture that one.

Quick NYPOWER friday report.

Despite bad weather forecast only about 30min was lost due to a passing rain shower. Rest of the day was sun and clouds. A little breezy at times but almost everything was flyable.

Saturday forecast is good. Sun and clouds. Come on down. There are several L3 cert attempts planned for Sat. They are always entertaining.

--john d

Back