Quantcast

Number of people in the chat room, an idea!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

cydermaster

Reaction score
I'm posting this, as opposed to mailing this direct to Milo, incase any of the other computer/tech savvy people have any input on this.

It been discussed many times how it would be good if there was a way to see how many people are in the chat room, on the forum main page. As the web page, and the chat room, can't communicate with each other in the way they need to, having the number of people in the chat room displayed on the front page isn't possible.

However ..... I had an idea last night; I don't know if you've tried it yet, Milo, but this might work:

How about constantly running an IRC bot, in the chatroom channel, from the TRF server; which posts the number of users in the #TRF channel to a file every minute (or so). The forum PHP could then read this file, and display the number of users.

I've had a brief gander at the bots available on the 'net, and there seems that most will give basic stat reporting, which is whats required. Some bots (like Eggdrop) are MS-Office-like in bloatyness & process footprint, but there look to be many that are simpler and less system intensive.

So, might this work? :confused:

flying_silverad

Reaction score
I second this. Would be great to some how be able to tell if the room is occupado ;)