nukemmcssret

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukemmcssret

Reaction score
I am a retired CPO USN, rode submarines started Nuclear Reactors, been to test depth, but am not allowed to launch my rockets. My friends and I were at a local park here in Deltona. It is the prerfect place to launch rockets, it is 6 soccer fields and all open. We launched one rocket and it was a perfect launch. Came within 10 yards of the launch pad. We are getting ready to do the second launch and this guy comes and tells us we are not allowed to launch in the park because it might hurt someone??? So we left and found a not so good place to launch. We did ok but it is still a Deltona Park. I called the supervisor of the parks and they said a rocket might blow up in someone's face or fall and hit someone on the way down. Is there any logical argument I can give these uneducated people to convince them this is a safe hobby? Thanks Nukemmcssret

Last edited:
The person who runs this board (AKPilot) did a wonderful job of convincing his local city council to allow model rocketry in a city park. Hopefully he will chime in.

You might want to check to see if there are any actual ordinances against rocket launching in your area, or if this was simply an over zealous park worker.

Model rocketry is actually one this country's safest activities for kids. Far safer than virtually any sport commonly allowed (and encouraged) in city facilities. You mentioned that the field you want to use has 6 soccer fields. Soccer is one of the nation's leading causes of injury to children (see data below).

Soccer Injury Statistics

*According to the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System (NEISS), in 1997, there was an estimated 148,913 reported cases of soccer injury in the United States alone. Of the cases, 0.2 % was between 0 and 4 years old. 48 % were between 5 and 14 years old; while 35.5 % were between 15 and 24 years old.

* This injury rate increased in a cumulative qualitative study for the period between 1990 and 2003, also based on NEISS data. Within the period, there was an estimated 1,597,528 soccer related injuries for those between 2 and 18 years old. The average age of those surveyed was 13.2 years old, with 58.6% males. However, during this period, there was also a significant increase in soccer-related injuries among girls.

* In the most recent NEISS survey, soccer continued to have one of the higher numbers of annual injuries. In the year, the estimated incidents of soccer-related injury were at a high 198,679. Most of these cases were involved those between 5 and 14 years, and 15 and 24 years old. There was an estimated 82,707 number of soccer-related injuries for the ages 5 and 14 years old. For the ages 15 to 24, the record is at 80,372.

Welcome to the forum! Oh be sure to give your thread a title, so it doesn't show up as your user name all the time.

Yes follow up on with AKpilot, also being in Deltona you are not far from the NEFAR and ROCK lunch grounds SRA be a bit more of a drive. I've included the links for the clubs below. BrainC DeltaII and others on this board fly at both NEFAR and ROCK. Happy flying

https://www.nefar.net/
https://www.r-o-c-k.org/
https://www.spaceportrocketry.org/

Last edited:
Who was this guy? Did he show any identification identifying him as a park or city official?

If he didn't, then his words mean nothing.

As far as the city goes, show them the NAR insurance policy if you're a member. That's usually more than enough.

Welcome to the board! Am retired USAF myself, back in 2005, after nearly 22 years.

Please by all means go to "Archive" above and do a search under "soccer" in the title line. You'll find it, but be warned you'll need about an hour to read it with your favorite beverage. Even managed to do a presentation on the same subject this year at NARCON.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns. It's a hard road, but right now I still launch up through G motors on 100 acres of mowed grass, with full park reservations (translation: no one else can use the fields while we're there; no soccer players, no football players, no baton twirlers, etc.), and best of all "no" cost; nada, nil, zip, nothing. While other "sports" pay $4 an hour for EACH field ($28 an hour total (x) number of hours they'd like them for). Cost savings to our club for an average launch day = $178 a month.

And yup, I was in your exact same position, with even being directly threatened to be arrested (I dared them and then asked what the charge would be);). Now the Park Director who told me to cease and desist is on my side..

A long battle, but well worth it. Please don't think it's me being arrogant, it was simply a planned, thought out, battle for a right I was entailed.

Ask RangerStL about the field . . .

I will look into the trip out, to a launch. I am buuilding a few rockets that need testing. Thanks for the information.

Back