Nsl

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, does anyone here that's going to NSL use a rail to launch, preferably a home made one? I am keenly interested in that. I have seen threads here that talk about how to build a simple one, but I really need to see one in person. If someone has one we need to make sure we meet at some point on Sat. I also want to see a scratch built rocket. (I don't do so well with pictures:D )

Hey MaxPwr: By a "scratch built rocket," do you mean

1) Built from scratch parts, like paper towel tubes and stuff
2) A totally original design, not found in any other kit or plans
3) Anything built from parts and/or plans gathered together by the builder but not purchased as a kit, including clones and upscales
4) Some or any combination of the above

I'll have quite a few that meet criteria #3.

If you think about it, everything in the FlisKits catalog would meet criteria #2 for Jim (at least in reference to the original prototypes for the current kits.)

I'm sure there'll be someone who will bring something wacky to NSL that will criteria #1.

Originally posted by Fore Check
Hey MaxPwr: By a "scratch built rocket," do you mean

1) Built from scratch parts, like paper towel tubes and stuff
2) A totally original design, not found in any other kit or plans
3) Anything built from parts and/or plans gathered together by the builder but not purchased as a kit, including clones and upscales
4) Some or any combination of the above

I'll have quite a few that meet criteria #3.

If you think about it, everything in the FlisKits catalog would meet criteria #2 for Jim (at least in reference to the original prototypes for the current kits.)

I'm sure there'll be someone who will bring something wacky to NSL that will criteria #1.

Sorry, I should have been much more specific:p Actually, I want to see up close and personal, the way a High Powered Rocket is built:D

Well, NSL is almost upon us and it's busy-busy-busy packing the u-haul trailer and getting the fleet ready to launch tomorrow. I'm a bit worried about my engine supply (I think I only have about 200 Estes SU motors) but we'll see how it holds up.

A couple updates on the fleet:

- the Atlantis has suffered its first battle scar before its maiden flight. My son knocked it over and scratched and dented the nose cone. Minor, but noticable. :mad:

- My BT70 upscaled Goblin/Deuce (twin E powered) is just sitting there laughing at me, daring me to cram 2 E9-8's in it and pray I get it back.....

- The TDD birds are all packaged up and ready to go meet their maker (sort of, I guess designer) again.

- The Blue Bird Zero has a fresh coat of High Gloss and is ready to show off.

Well, I gotta pack some more. It's gonna be a late night just getting ready and an early morning to hit the road.

See you all there!

Sounds like a cool fleet!

I'm checking messages as I pack up.
I have the following SW rockets freshly painted and ready to go:
Spirit of Texas
Red Baron
Astrid
Spacecruiser FFE
Cloud Warrior

I'm also bringing my trusty Cherokee D (Thrustline clone) and my just finished Estes SR-71 converted for D engines.

I'm bringing the original prototypes for the upcoming Vulture kit and the brand new JX-1.

I'm still looking through stuff to see what else I can bring.

For those interested, I'm donating Spirit of Texas kits 1, 2 and 3 to the raffle. So there's still a chance to get a low numbered kit.

Well, NSL was bittersweet for me. First the good news. I was only able to be there on Sat. but it was amazing. It was my first organized/group launch. It took me a while to get used to the way things work but I eventually got into the swing of things. Especially the HPR rockets SWEEEET!! I was ALMOST on cloud nine. The following story willl explain why I couldn’t manage to make it to cloud nine. I have a yellow AT Mustang that I absolutely LOVE. I can't fly it on anything powerful here in Houston, don't have any fields big enough. Therefore, I wanted to get a powerful engine for it there. I went over to a tent that was selling reload able engines. I am a novice so I had someone help me out with selecting an engine. The guy was VERY helpful. He suggested an Ellis Mountain G35-10 because as he said "This thing will RIP on that engine" and because they were apparently on sale for $13. (I don't know if that's actually a good price or not) I got two and a ten pack of Quick Burst Twiggy igniters. He then helped me friction fit it and the nose cone properly. I'm excited about launching this thing. I fill out my launch card, wait in line. The safety guy that tells you when you can go put your rocket on the pad walks up to me and says, "You gonna try to loose that thing?" It comes my turn to launch, see a little smoke, a little fire, GONE!!!! That thing ripped of the pad so quickly I missed the picture, BAD!!!!(as you will see in the attached pic, all you see is a little bit of the smoke trail) and I'm usually pretty good at getting launch pics! It flew in a very strange direction, it went, I believe, North-NorthEast. I never saw anyone else’s rocket go that direction:mad: It was no where near straight up, too horizontal:eek: I lost all sight of it while it was still going very fast. Never saw it again :( :mad: :kill: Oh well, though, I guess you gotta be prepared for that kind of stuff. Now I have a G35-10 motor and nine igniters but no rocket to use them on.:( My best guess on what happened was that I had some paint in the launch lugs and it hung up on the launch rod:( I also launched my Snapshot, so I hopefully got a nice birds eye view of the festivities. It was cool because I use C6-7's for it to make sure that it is pointing downward when the ejection charge goes off. I heard many "oh no's" while it was plummeting toward the tents, followed by sighs of relief:p The only other bird I flew was the Spirit of Texas...very cool rocket!!!! beautiful very high flight, got it back with no damage. The following are my best pics from the launch...

LOL, my boys and I were standing there at the pads when that Lawn Dart occurred. Suprised we didn't run into each other....

Was that drag race the one near the end of the day (4:30 or so) where they just *screamed* skyward, engines still burning at like 2000 ft? That was awesome!! :eek:

Was that drag race the one near the end of the day (4:30 or so) where they just *screamed* skyward, engines still burning at like 2000 ft? That was awesome!! :eek:

Yup, that's the one! And yes!! it WAS AAWWWWSSOOMMMME!!!!!!!!!

BTW, I hate it that I didn't get to see your birds, man. :( Oh well, maybe next time.:)

LOL, my boys and I were standing there at the pads when that Lawn Dart occurred. Suprised we didn't run into each other....

I'm sure I was standing right next to you:rolleyes::D I was wearing khaki shorts and a black Flogging Molly T-shirt that looks like a Guinness logo.:D holding a camera.

Originally posted by Max_Power004
Another beauty, (Sorry, I dont' know what they are or who they belong to)

https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?postid=92388

That one was built by Shea Fehrenbach and flown on a K motor by his dad, Rags, president of the Dallas Area Rocket Society. The electronics failed to ignite either deployment charge, but fortunately, Rags decided to use motor ejection for insurance and that saved the rocket - only broke two small canard fins,

Bill

I have a yellow AT Mustang that I absolutely LOVE. I can't fly it on anything powerful here in Houston, don't have any fields big enough. Therefore, I wanted to get a powerful engine for it there.

About what time did you fly your Mustang? I took lots of pictures and may have it.

Bill

Another NSL in the bag.

By the way...It wasn't hot... It was Humid.:D

I flew my vidroc saturday around noon. Got some good footage of the field. I will trim it a bit and post it when I get back home.

It was nice to meet Jim Flis and some of the other vendors. They were all great. I don't remember the vendor, but thanks to the guy who was willing to sell me just one igniter. Wish I could have bought more, but airline rules, y'know...

I flew my first Ellis mountain motor. That G35 just kept burnin and burnin... Definately gonna burn more of those.

Hearne was a nice place to launch. The tarmac made it nice. No dirt. The tall grass made some soft landings. The Little fighter jet sitting on the tarmac was cool to look at too.

Thanks to AARG for putting on a good launch.:)

Thanks to DARS for bringing the rain.:D (Just kidding)
I probably brought the heat with me.

Originally posted by Bill
About what time did you fly your Mustang? I took lots of pictures and may have it.

Bill

You mean you found it?!?!?!?!:eek: I flew it at about 2:30 ish. I guess between 2:30 and 3:00 on Saturday. It has a small swivel connecting the 'chute.

You mean you found it?!?!?!?!:eek: I flew it at about 2:30 ish. I guess between 2:30 and 3:00 on Saturday. It has a small swivel connecting the 'chute.

LOL!

I bet he means that he may have a picture of it... :p

LOL!

I bet he means that he may have a picture of it... :p

:eek: :D Yeah I kinda realized that after I posted:rolleyes: :D Oh well, I would like to have a pic of the first/last flight...memories:(

Now *that's* cool!

Your bid Red Max on that F was *awesome*!

And I appreciate the pic of my 24mm Deuce's Goblin lifting off - I didn't know you nabbed that pic!

Simon,

I'm still waiting on that launch pic of your upscale USS Atlantis!

The 24mm DW Goblin was too cool. I guess you got it back OK? I was helping my 12 yr old find his Goblin Clone after you launched it. He flew it on a D12-5 and it ripped....literally....one of the fins was almost ripped off. He loved it though. Probably got the full 1700 ft out of it. It went outa sight for a few seconds.

It was nice to meet you in person. ***Fellow TRFers*** ForeCheck's rockets are NICE! You'd have to see them in person to appreciate the craftsmanship.

The Tulsa Rocketry club is having an evening launch this Saturday and we're trying to talk Mom into letting us go. :D

BTW...If you want a hi-res version of any of the pictures, just let me know, and I'll e-mail them to you.

John

Thanks, John!

I was *really* impressed with your birds, too! The upscale DRM goes without saying, but the camo DRM clone was sweet and so was that Outlander!

Alas, I was too chicken to fly the Atlantis under those windy conditions, and not having a 3 engine clip-whip (I'm not too keen on twisting igniters together, but that's just personal preference.) I'm going to make an upcoming DARS launch and try again, weather permitting.

As far as the 24mm DW Goblin - I had to *really* hunt for it. It was "hiding" in the TALL weeds on the far side of the landing field from our set-up areas. I tried stomping through there on foot, but it was just brutal with all the brambles, thorns, ivy, etc (I can't believe I didn't end up with a mean case of poison ivy, but my shins are still scarred up from all the scratches.) I gave up on foot, and had to drive out there and circle around a bit. But I did find it! Perhaps I'll try an 18" chute next time (I flew it with a 24" ripstop chute from Thrustline.) I think it got the 2200' I was expecting.

And finally, I'd *love* I high res version of that launch pic!

I'll give you the "wind" excuse, but I had a 3 engine clip whip with me, so you can't have that one. :D

I got a few pictures of your DW Goblin....one with you walking away after loading it up on the pad...a couple of it sitting on the pad and then the launch pic. They're about 1.2-1.3meg in size each. Let me know which ones you want and I'll e-mail them to you.

John

Whew, Still pooped after a 3+day drive. Trying to recover from the mail and stuff and hope to have a trip report later on tonight.

got some great pix and had a great time.

and it *was* HOT! Humid too. Heck, in New England, we *cancel* launches if it gets that hot LOL

Monday was the best flying but it was also the hottest. bright sun, *no* wind, highs in the high 90's...

whew!

Back