NSL 2009

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.nsl2009.org/

Who's going? Will there be PM beerlofting?

I just went to the website for NSL 2009. It is 11 degrees and snowing. Are you nuts? Who would ever go to a place like that? I just went outside to clean up. I am wearing a T-shirt and shorts. It was slightly cool. But then, it is winter. And what the heck is beerlofting? Why would you want to loft beers--do you shoot at them? I prefer to drink beer. I must admit that the Foster's 25 ounce cans make great targets--I prefer the green cans (bitter).

The "art" of beer lofting:

1.Placing a few frosty ones in the payload of large rockets, to refresh one on the long walk back during retrieval.

2. PM or evening beer lofting, sharing a few cold ones with fellow rocketeers after the launch shuts down while discussing the days activities.

3. Or ''artfully'' flying large rocket shaped containers of one's favorite brew

4. Can also include using a barstool for recovery of flown rocket

Yes I've actually used it for rocket recovery! Notice the PM cup holder in the middle of the steering wheel so you can keep you eye on you favorite beverage while visiting other PM lofters.

DSC_5584_port.jpg

DSC_5099.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be there! Hopefully I'll have my L2 project done and cert at the launch.

-DAllen

I'll be there!

I have some rockets to build though, all are going on H's and I's, G's for the Mustang and Little Nuke. Should be fun!

The "art" of beer lofting:

1.Placing a few frosty ones in the payload of large rockets, to refresh one on the long walk back during retrieval.

Number 1!, Number 1!. Please forgive my ignorance. I am currently building a Hyper-Loc 1600 for the Arizona Rocket gathering next month. It can get rather warm at Rainbow Valley--even in February. I will now design the payload section to hold securely--at least one can of Foster's bitter--better make that two. I think that beerlofting has the potential to invigorate High Power rocketry. Do you think that I should insulate the payload section?

Sure, but it's in Wisconsin!!!
;) :eek:
Yeah, its rare to have snow in may in WI, but not unheard of. Temp is usually decent in late May, which you'll be glad of since the recovery hikes can be grueling at Bong. No mosquitoes yet either. The water hazards will be melted, so bring your waders...

I totally forgot about the waders thing. My first trip to Bong seemed like every other prep table had a set of waders or rubber boots sitting next to it. When I asked what they were for, a laugh and "you'll find out" were the typical replies.

What really sent up an alarm was the number of inflateable rafts I saw...........we won't even go into that!
Don't forget the mystery foot fungus in the swamp from h*!!.

Hi all,
I'm glad to see that the Rocketry Forum is back!
The WOOSH team is hard at it to put together a great launch event for everyone.
Despite Crazy Jim's water torture posts it really should be fine by Memorial Day weekend.
We actually have planned to have a couple of canoes manned by volunteers to assist flyers unlucky enough to drop a rocket into a pond or lake.

Our fun events will be worth the price of admission alone.
I am working with regional sections to put together six, four man teams to compete in the L-1 build and fly. It's not going to be easy to win.
The teams will be timed on how fast they can assemble the kit and get it through a safety inspection. After the first team get's their rocket through the safety check the rest of the teams have one hour to finish up.
Then they will be required to come up with a predicted duration time for the flight and sucessful recovery of their rocket. Motor choice and parachute are up to each team to supply. This must all be done in the hour after the first team get's through their safety check in!
Once the hour is up we'll put them on the pads and see who wins.
Rocket kit's are going to be provided by LOC Precision. Thank you Barry!

Then there is the secret payload duration event. The contest is open to all comers. The payload will be revealed Saturday morning. It is small enough to fit inside just about any rocket. Maximum Motor size will be announced Saturday morning of the event. The event will be run all weekend.

Plan to come to NSL to have some fun.

Scott Goebel
WOOSH president

Sounds great Scott. Can you tell us more about the Saturn V Mass Launch? Are Saturn 1B's included too?

Where do I have to go to enter the L-1 build and fly?

Is Jr. L1 allowed to enter?

Yes, any Saturn varient is welcome to fly in the Saturn mass launch.
We will only drag race them if requested. I'd rather see everyone get their own time in the spotlight.

The L1 build and fly is by invite only. Some of the NAR section leaders who I have invited have yet to respond.
Other clubs want to put together multiple teams.
I hope I don't have to drag people kicking and screaming to do this. It is going to be fun.
Scott G.

The L1 build and fly is by invite only.

This needs to be on the NSL 2009 website somewhere.

Some of the NAR section leaders who I have invited have yet to respond.
Other clubs want to put together multiple teams.
I hope I don't have to drag people kicking and screaming to do this. It is going to be fun.
Scott G.

Have you heard from anyone in Michiana Rocketry? We definitely want to participate.

-DAllen

Waders or hip boots?

I can handle me getting dirty, but not my rockets!

Camping at the group site is listed as $40 for a family site. Is that inclusive of all three days? Does it include the registration fee that the state parks want to add on as well?

As a NAR member, I'm a little disappointed that the L1 contest is going to be "invite only." Frankly, that's kind of ridiculous but it's your launch, run it how you want. Another thing I was wondering about, are there going to be any other motor vendors there other than Wildman? I can't believe he'll be the only motor vendor at a national event like this. No offense but the NSL 2009 web site needs some updating.

-DAllen

Yikes! Is it really that wet over there?

It all depends on Mother Nature.
If we get a lot of rain in the weeks prior to the event there will be standing water in low lying areas of the field.
Aside from the low lying areas there are some ponds and lakes a half mile away to the N / NE of the site.
You'll never drift that far North unless two things happen.
A southern breeze.
You are flying a HP. rocket and do not compensate for the southern wind in your recovery plans.

This needs to be on the NSL 2009 website somewhere.

Have you heard from anyone in Michiana Rocketry? We definitely want to participate.

-DAllen

I suppose a lot of guys want to get in on something like this.
That is why I couldn't open it up to everyone under the sun. I'd have to tell all but six teams NO. The NAR sections that I have sent invites too have history with WOOSH. Many of them used to drive up here to participate in our regionals back in the day. Others have assisted us when we ran the three NARCON conventions. I wanted to reciprocate.

I agree that the by invite only should be on the website.
If everyone was as enthusiastic as rocketry forum members are then I'd already have the photos of the six teams lined up to do this on the website.
As it stands now I have a committment from three teams and am waiting to hear back from the other invited guests.

Camping at the group site is listed as $40 for a family site. Is that inclusive of all three days? Does it include the registration fee that the state parks want to add on as well?

Yes, the fee covers all three nights at the group site.
The fee to enter the park is a separate thing entirely.
It is a state park. The stickers we are promoting online offer a $2 discount per day over buying them at the park. Folks who live nearby and who frequent the WI. state park system should really consider buying the annual sticker rather than daily passes.

We picked out what I thought was the best group site available.
There is a lot of room for multiple families to set up tents. The water is close.
Restrooms near the group site are only going to be pit toilets but there are two new restrooms near the launch site that are nice flushers and the one near the Sunset campground has the best showers in the facility. I camp at the park for our summer launches. It is a very short drive from the showers to the launch site. Quite convienant in the morning to shower there and then hit the range.

Back