Nsl 2007

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright guys launch lots of rockets, take lots of photos and videos and have fun. If I'm reeeeaaallly lucky, I can go on Sunday to watch. The chances of that though are about as slim as it can get. Dang I'm pretty freakin' mad about missing a huge event that's only 2hrs from me.

Originally posted by chanstevens
I'm bummed...

Bummer. If only I could support the rocketry addiction without having to be pestered by work-related obligations.

I know what you mean! man, I've been so busy that even I can't, um, ahhhh....

hhhmmmm

wait-a-minit.... I forgot, rocketry IS one of my work related obligations...

neener, neener, neener!

my bad
:D

Okay, someone could've warned me about the time zone change - from Central to Eastern. I would've been an hour late tomorrow and missed out on a primo spot at the launch.

In hotel, wondering when people are heading out in the morning. Am up on-line . . .

P.S. And what's up with the in-room jacuzzi and mirrors? :eek:

TODAYS the Day. Going to leave at 12,( Not my choice I wanted MUCH earlier). Hope to arrive their at 2-2:45. Bringing EVERYTHING!

Originally posted by akpilot
Okay, someone could've warned me about the time zone change - from Central to Eastern. I would've been an hour late tomorrow and missed out on a primo spot at the launch.

That's a time change you never expect being only a few hours west. People from my area used to use the Indianapolis airport a lot and often missed flights for that reason.

P.S. And what's up with the in-room jacuzzi and mirrors? :eek: [/B]

Ack! I take back that request for pictures... :eek:

We're leaving right after work today and will be at the Best Western around 7:30 or so. Is there still gonna be a TRF cookout tonight? Need to know so we don't stop for dinner on the way in...

Hopefully y'all get some launches in today! Yes, I know OFFICIALLY it isn't til tomorrow, but I read earlier in the thread that setup will be today and maybe some launches..Post pictures! :) Hopefully the rain will bypass you..I am warming up my 'rain attractor' and get it to come down here...Heck, if my launches of my Zooch Saturn V are going to be rained out, I want it to RAIN !! Like we will need Noah to come build us another ark!..lol..Have fun! Be safe! And post pictures!

And did I mention?:

POST PICTURES!!!! :D:D

Originally posted by Pantherjon
Hopefully y'all get some launches in today! Yes, I know OFFICIALLY it isn't til tomorrow, but I read earlier in the thread that setup will be today and maybe some launches..Post pictures! :) Hopefully the rain will bypass you..I am warming up my 'rain attractor' and get it to come down here...Heck, if my launches of my Zooch Saturn V are going to be rained out, I want it to RAIN !! Like we will need Noah to come build us another ark!..lol..Have fun! Be safe! And post pictures!

And did I mention?:

POST PICTURES!!!! :D:D

I just got back home from muncie. Today has been the best day ever lol. I got some good pictures, and i will post some later.....i wonder if there should be a new thread opened up for NSL pictures....

I'll be carpooling up Saturday, leaving at 6AM.

Note to BTCs (You know who you are). Please wait until I get out of Chad's van before throwing things at him.

Am really looking forward to seeing that 75mm upscale of the ACME Spitfire go up tomorrow! Talk about an awesome looking bird - those guys have really knocked themselves out!

Originally posted by akpilot
Am really looking forward to seeing that 75mm upscale of the ACME Spitfire go up tomorrow! Talk about an awesome looking bird - those guys have really knocked themselves out!

i took a picture of it, it looks awesome!

Oh yeah, guys, wear sunscreen! Im red....very red lol

While we will make every effort to help them be successful, the field is dry and if we can't wet it down enough, I don't know if the spitfire will fly. It is slated to go up on a M2200 skidmark and several of the skidmarks that flew today started grass fires (that were quickly put out) They're planning on soaking the area with about 100 gallons of water, but even then if the conditions don't allow it, it might not fly.

-Aaron (who is dog tired from helping run NSL on day one)

Well, at the time of this posting according to my 'weather bug' it is sunny and 84 in Muncie :D Have good launches today! Tomorrow doesn't look too bad, 'isolated showers'..So maybe they can dodge the few rain clouds..It is raining here in my part of Georgia :D

The Spitfire flew! Unflippin' believeable - full stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by MaxPower
Please tell me someone took video?

Yeah I sure hope someone did. Dang that would have been one heck of a rocket to see. Alright guys come on show us the picts and video.:D

Originally posted by MaxPower
Please tell me someone took video?

There were enough videos and photos taken to cover a number of pages; written and on-line. Rumour has it, it'll be the subject of a future magazine article.

Unfortunately, I'm was using film on this trip - so the first pics aren't going to be from me.

Yes, there was at least one video taken of our 6X Spitfire of which I am aware. Jim Flis, Mario Perdue, Joe Isca, Greg LaMaster, Ed Hardy, et al were taking lots of pics. This project was the culmination six months of work by the club and was supervised/designed/spear-headed by one of SCAM's two L3CC members: Dennis Watkins. We chose the Spitfire because: A) we knew that Jim Flis would be around and we could get some PR from it; B) the Spitfire, regardless of size, always attracts attention; and C) it would be easier than the 1/2 scale Nike Hercules that I keep wanting to build...

Four of the Spitfire team will be beginning work on the 2007 Black Rock project next week - a two stage attempt to break 100K later this summer. Now that will be an engineering nightmare!

We hope to get some of the pic's and at least one video on the SCAM website as soon as Ed Hardy (our Webmeister) has time to put it on the site.

Be patient... video and pic's will be forthcoming. Check Flis' site as well.

Mike

Oh, the ACME was un-freakin'-beleivable! Breathtaking doesn't even describe it...

Nerve wracking too... They got it out on the pad, erected and ready to arm when they discovered a problem with the deployment electronics. So they lowered it, opened her up and, at one point hook a laptop up to it.

A lap top hooked up to an A.C.M.E. Spitfire just looked *wrong*... :p

If I recall correctly they discovered a broken wire on the back up battery and had to re-solder it. They removed it from the rail and layed her on the ground and had to wait for another window to launch.

In the interum they had another HPR bird launch off *near* the ACME that had what looked like a forward closure failure... Fire rained down all around the ACME and everyone just held their breath!

Another rocket that launched had a rather hard landing not 20 feet from the ACME.

Man!

But the launch was flawless and it was THE LAUNCH of NSL. No question!

I was proud to have been a (very minor) part of this (I said "yes" when they asked "if" :) ) One thing that I am very proud of is that I doubt there every would have been such an outlandish looking HPR bird built had I not designed and released something like the A.C.M.E. Spitfire. A good feeling :)

jim

Hey Jim, i saw you out there Friday...I was the tall guy in the gray shirt lol. I saw some of your birds go up, they are very nice! the Borealis flight was perfect!

Well, we finally made it Saturday afternoon, very long trip.

I want to send a big thanks to everyone - mainly the vendors. My grandmother
and parents came down to Muncie yesturday to spend the day with us and it took longer to arrive than we expected, in our absence everyone here was so kind and welcoming to them .... so I just wanted to extend a BIG THANKS to you all.

Loretta

Just wanted to drop in and say I had a GREAT time this weekend, this was my first big event and it was definitely one i wont forget...

The spitfire was "out of this world" cool, and Skidmarks are insane when you finally see them in person...

Now I just gotta make it to a "BIG" event like LDRS so i can see some N's and O's go up..

And needless to say seeing the big stuff just makes me want to reach Level 3 even more, although L3 means i gotta get lucky and find a duffle bag full of money in a ditch somewhere.. LOL

Also went for my L1 and failed miserably, :-(... guess thats what i get for trying to cut down on weight in my booster and using 1/8" ply for the bulkhead (first scratch built and "big" rocket)... after reviewing the damage to the bulkhead my guess is the ejection charge actually blew completely through the bulkhead since even the baffle was obliterated.. Im sure the previous launches its had also contributed to weakening it...

Just gives me an excuse to spend some more money and build a new rocket for my next L1 attempt.. like randym told me i should take what ive learned from both my rockets failures this weekend and build accordingly around those problems

Oh and for those of you who really like Art Applewhites stuff i launched my Priority Stealth (aka Intergalactic Parcel Delivery) on a G64... and judging from the flight lines reaction was a pretty cool flight...

Well on that note im gonna stop typing this novel, and minus the extreme neck and face sunburn (lol i look like a "reverse" raccoon because of wearing sunglasses) I had a total "BLAST" this weekend and really enjoyed meeting alot of new people.

For those who are wondering i was the guy with the Goin' Postal rocket and all the tattoos

Man, what an amazing weekend!

First off - thanks to MPerdue et al ROCI members for hosting a great event! That field is awesome, and I'll definitely be back (and I know some other Quarkers that will as well!)

Lotsa sun, lotsa wind (but not horrible...except for the one that killed my canopy sometime after I left on Saturday), lotsa launches, lotsa people!

It was awesome to meet some people from the board, and hopefully I'll be able to meet some more in the future.

The Spitfire was amazing, as was the Crazy Banana Rocket on the same M2200 load! One of my personal favorites was the big Pershing on a big white L. There was an L2 cert on an L blue baboon that was pretty amazing as well, and we watched an L666 Skid yesterday as well!

I had lotsa good flights and one bad one...

I'll be downloading the camera sometime in the next few days, and I'll post my pics then.

Originally posted by mhollman
Yes, there was at least one video taken of our 6X Spitfire of which I am aware. Jim Flis, Mario Perdue, Joe Isca, Greg LaMaster, Ed Hardy, et al were taking lots of pics. This project was the culmination six months of work by the club and was supervised/designed/spear-headed by one of SCAM's two L3CC members: Dennis Watkins. We chose the Spitfire because: A) we knew that Jim Flis would be around and we could get some PR from it; B) the Spitfire, regardless of size, always attracts attention; and C) it would be easier than the 1/2 scale Nike Hercules that I keep wanting to build...

Four of the Spitfire team will be beginning work on the 2007 Black Rock project next week - a two stage attempt to break 100K later this summer. Now that will be an engineering nightmare!

We hope to get some of the pic's and at least one video on the SCAM website as soon as Ed Hardy (our Webmeister) has time to put it on the site.

Be patient... video and pic's will be forthcoming. Check Flis' site as well.

Mike

I tried to post this last night, but it seems that there were site problems?
A.jpg

Sorry about the distance factor. We were kind of exiled to a parking lot across the street on Saturday and couldn't hear any of the announcements.

Originally posted by jflis

Another rocket that launched had a rather hard landing not 20 feet from the ACME.

Was it a blue and white Small Endeavor? :eek: :eek: ;)

I'm really surprised they didn't say heads up on that one, given there were probably 20 people standing around the away cell and my SE was headed right for them under chute.

That flight was to around 1100ft on a G77 reload. Also flew my LOC Weasel to about 2300 on an F25 SU. I tracked it to just above the tree line, when they made a heads up call and I lost it. Spent the next half hour walking around the bean field until I found it.

For those of you interested in a video of the Spitfire flight (as well as an overview of NSL 2007), here is the link .

Also attached is a photo of the Spitfire lifting off the pad.

Mike

Back