NRC SA-14 Archer specifications

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incongruent

Reaction score
I'm (planning on) building a 1/2 scale SA-14 Archer by North Coast Rocketry (2.6in. Version) and I'm looking for (mainly) the fin and strake dimensions. (Also some other stuff.)

I like the looks but I don't think I'll venture past Es... yet.
Sorry about your feet. Didn't mean to squish them too hard.
Also insufficient funds and lack of motivation to retrieve far away rockets.

Here's a list of the specs I need.
I'll add new information if I get it.

2.6 inch)

Diameter: 2.6 inches
Length: 47 inches

Payload tube length:
Nose cone length: 13 inches
Body Tube length:

Fin Count: 4
Fin Root Chord length:
Fin Tip Chord length:
Fin Leading Edge length:
Fin Trailing Edge length:
Fin Sweep Angle:
Fin Semi Span (to the furthest out tip, not the bottom one.):
Fin thickness: 1/4 inch

Strake length:
Strake width: I think it's 1 inch.
Strake thickness: 1/4 inch

4 inch )

Diameter: 4 inches
Length: 47.18 inches

Payload tube length:
Nose cone length:
Body Tube length:

Fin Count: 4
Fin Root Chord length:
Fin Tip Chord length:
Fin Leading Edge length:
Fin Trailing Edge length:
Fin Sweep Angle:
Fin Semi Span (to the furthest out tip, not the bottom one.):
Fin thickness:

Strake length:
Strake width:
Strake thickness:

___________________________________________________________________________________

4474693555_3bc62756e8_o.jpg

1. Root Chord
2. Sweep Angle
3. Sweep Length
4. Tip Chord
5. Body Tube Diameter
6. Semi Span
LE Leading edge
TE Trailing Edge

(source: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?10393-Fin-Surface-Nomenclature)

A drawing of the fin would help too, as would specs on the decals.

Thanks,
-Tony

Last edited:
Here are some dimensions off the Rsim file for my NCR-by-Estes Archer. You can multiply by 2.6/4 to get the downscale dimensions. Also the main fins are based off of x/y coordinates, with x=0 y=0 being at the top of the fin root and progressing clockwise.

Strakes are 17" long with a 1" sweep on each end. The semi span is 2". They are mounted 18.5" from the top of the BT.

Main fins.

Pt 1 x=1.75
Pt 1 y =5.75
Pt 2 x=4.5
Pt 2 y=4.9
Pt 3 x=5.25
Pt 3 y=0 (of course)

I hope this is the most up-to-date version of the file, the numbers should be close and are what I used to downscale the kit using the Estes Partizon (2.5" diameter). I stretched mine a bit so I didn't have to cut a body tube. So, mine is about 40" vs around 36"

Maybe when I get home I'll remember to post the CAD file I made to get fins cut for a clone.

Sorry, I didn't ask clearly enough.

I am building a BT55 (33mm) sized downscale of the 2.6 inch diameter NCR Archer kit, the one that can currently be purchased from Apogee or eRockets. Not a 2.6 inch downscale of the 4inch one.

I apoligize about the confusion.

A screenshot of the rocksim (or openrocket, if avalible) drawing would work since I have some reference lengths already.

Thanks,
Tony

Oh, no problemo. I know nothing about the new once except that I don't like it as much as the classic design. I've seen a couple fly.

I'd love to have the original 4" version from many years ago. Yes, please post specs!

On second thought, we need specs for both! :D:drool:
By we, I mean I. But also others.

I'll update the OP

FYI the nose cone in the rocsim file is wrong. I can look it up tomorrow and tell you which one is correct. I know it should be one of the 4" LOC ogive. The one used in the file is too short.

FYI the nose cone in the rocsim file is wrong. I can look it up tomorrow and tell you which one is correct. I know it should be one of the 4" LOC ogive. The one used in the file is too short.

Very likely. I've heard (after posting the comment you are referring to) that rocketreviews design files are often inaccurate.

The overall dimensions on that file match the NCR by Estes version and the shape of the cone is close enough for me. The fin specs I gave earlier were taken from mine.

I built the original 4" Diameter kit from Public Enemy for my LVL 1 cert........ I have that in Rocksim and its just a matter of putting in the scale math and you can get dimensions for everything..... be happy to help you

I really regret I didn't buy one from PE!

FAIW, the OP wanted the dimensions of the current NCR kit which has a different fin shape etc.

Back