Now where can I get my hands on one of these...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjl

Reaction score
Here's a recent test of the igniter for the first stage of the Ares I:

(Click image for awesome movie)

Last edited:
What the...:eek:

By the way, you might want to get rid of the extra few characters on the link to the picture. The real link ends with .mov, but then there's some characters after it that messes it up.

You caught it in the first 30 seconds after I posted it :)

The link should be working now.

Last edited:
Are these some of the new igniters ATF wants to regulate?

If so, they may have a good chance at this one!

Are these some of the new igniters ATF wants to regulate?

If so, they may have a good chance at this one!

Considering the size of this one, I don't think I'd complain if the ATF wanted me to have a license before purchasing it. Of course, at 64kg of propellant and a 100ms burntime (the video above is in slow motion), it has quite a bit more punch than, say, your average P motor.

:cool:

NASA, Always going overboard. an Ematch and some pellets on a dowel. Talk about overkill

haha nice!! :D

Ben

I'm not sure I would consider it overboard...

When you think that the cost of a failed or even a delayed ignition is billions of dollars and 7 lives, you tend to want a REALLY reliable igniter.

I'm not sure I would consider it overboard...

When you think that the cost of a failed or even a delayed ignition is billions of dollars and 7 lives, you tend to want a REALLY reliable igniter.

I guess I was the only one that got the sarcasm :)

They do have some awesome ignitors for the size!

Ben

Yep. I only wish I could light motors as reliably as they do. So far, they're 250 for 250 at lighting the Shuttle SRBs, and that's within 100ms of the ignition signal.

Back