Now that I have my L1...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael L

Random Pixel Generator
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My LOC IV didn't fly "stock" the first time. The first time it flew was for my L1 cert flight. That went fine. Is it unreasonable to be considering converting the LOC IV to a two stage rocket? I'm nowhere near ready to make that change. I don't know what all is involved with building a 2 stage rocket. If I did I might not have asked this question.

Structural mods, yes there will be :) This is a back of the envelope, scratching in the dirt conversation about the feasibility and sanity of making a change like this discussion, not a blueprint.

Thinking out loud, I have a TeleMega 4.0 that I could use for the 2nd stage electronics. It's got 4 pyro channels and it looks like I can fire each of the channels for different reasons. Velocity for instance. So Ch1 fires the separation charge? Ch2 fires the second stage booster motor, Ch3 / Ch4 either redundant for the chute or Ch3 fires for the drogue and Ch4 fires for the chute.

I'd also need electronics to deploy the chute for the first stage after separation.

Motor decisions? I have to stay within L1 total newtons or reconsider and do this when/if I get my L2. Right up to this point I was thinking about using a pair of Cesaroni I350SS (one in each stage) but I have no desire to break any rules so that idea is not on the table.

Wow... that was easy to type. How unreasonable is it?

Back