Now that I am Level 1 Cert should I switch to reloadable motors instead of DMS?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, not disagreeing with you, but let me give an alternate perspective:

Since the casings are not cheap, I tend to take more care to ensure that I get the rocket back, at least the casing portion of it. Therefore, the concern about "there go your meager savings" becomes a moot point.

I will disagree with the Cesaroni decision: Higher costs due to HazMat fees for the 38mm reloads, as opposed to the non-HazMat fees of Loki or even AT reloads in that size. Cesaroni just doesn't make economic sense unless you're always buying on the field. Even then, you're paying for *someone's* HazMat shipping, even if it's the dealer's. Cesaroni costs become comparable once you get past 38mm, as everything above 38mm requires HazMat, no matter who manufactured it.

Some of us flew back when reloads were the main game for the average flyer. Sure, we'd fly the occasional H125, I65 or K250, but the costs compared to buying reloads for your hardware were prohibitive. Evidently, those costs have dropped to meet the market demands. (Or, reload costs have risen, take you pick.) The main reason you flew single-use was because the particular thrust profile you were looking for didn't exist in a reload. (Had a K125 98mm SU that I was going to fly in a minimum diameter rocket with a Nike-style fiberglass fin can and about the size of an EZI-65. Project was on the back burner, then lost it in the divorce. /sigh Ain't nobody to blame buy myself.)

Getting back into the hobby, I chose Loki because I prefer the snap-ring style hardware and the 38mm reloads are mostly non-HazMat shippable.
Additional perspective - there are no 29mm Loki reloads, there are 2.5x CTI vs. Loki 38mm reloads, CTI 38mm reloads are almost bullet proof easy (like DMS), which is why I would use them. Once you get to 54mm then Loki makes more sense to me. I plan ahead and buy enough at once that the hazmat is spread over a lot of engines.

I thought at least some of the value on the reloadables was that some of them (like the Aerotech 40-120 line) could be shipped without the expensive hazmat fees.

Sure, we're all spending money, but I'd like to spend more of it on fun stuff, and less on shipping etc.

Back