Nov 11 no day off ??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
I over heard some folks at work saying it was too bad that Nov.11 fell on a Sunday ,and how they would not get the day off ,what a rippoff !

In Canada ,Nov.11 Remembrance day is a memorial day to observe those who died and gave to defend in WWI in duty.Armistice was signed was signed the 11th hour ,11day of the 11 month.

WWI was one of the bloodiest wars ever faught ,bombs blasting ,trenches filled with rain and blood ,gasses turning the lungs to liquid and many never going back home......kids never going home to mom and dad.

WWII was not much better ,going to battle as teenager and comming out a man....if you survived ,shell shocked and missing a limb.

My uncle Charles caught a granade in the face in Itali ,no nose or eye and half a forehead.

Uncle Joe and uncle Louis were lucky to survive in the airforce.

Can you imagine getting called to war as a teenager ,having no idea the horors about to meet you ?

And you did not the day off ,like it was some kind of holiday ,given to you and not knowing why.

Young people need to know why we bow our heads in silence ,take a pause , reflect and respect those who went into battle without question ,those kids did not get a day off ,did they ?

Please remember and never forget those who served and serve in the millitary ,because I could never imagine myself at that age ,having to grow up that soon and dying even faster.

Paul T

Last edited:
In the United States, Veterans Day is usually observed on November 11. However, if it occurs on a Sunday then the following Monday is designated for holiday leave, and if it occurs Saturday then either Saturday or Friday may be so designated.
In 2012, Veterans Day falls on a Sunday, so Monday, the 12th of November is considered a federal holiday.

Today the media abuses the word hero.

Read One Square Mile of Hell- The Battle of Tarawa. Of all WWII books Ive read, this is the best description of what it was like. Pics from Robert Sherwood.
Youll get a good sense what a hero really is.

And no, I cant imagine at 18 yo, fresh out of HS, walking 1000ft shoulder high in water, to a beachhead , carrying 60lbs, under machine gun fire and mortars, and seeing fellow marines being torn to shreds.

Sod buddy I hear ya. Back home it was all small fishing villages of a couple hundred people aside from St John's at the turn of the 20th century. When war was declared all the men between the ages of 16 to about thirty would go to St John's and join the army. After a big push casualties were very heavy. At Beaumont Hamel the Newfoundland Regiment took 90 percent casualties. Generally families were informed by letter of the loss of their son brother or father. In these small villages it was not unheard of for every young man in the village to be killed in the same battle and all the families receive the notice the same day. I guess if those folks could bear that then folks could put up with the loss of a day off now.

Good comments there Sod.. I am originally from the UK (Manchester), and I have heard stories from my Grandfather of his older brothers and WWI. People lied to be able to 'protect their country' and kids as young as 14 (or younger) managed to sign up for front line duty. He lost 3 of his brothers. One never recovered, two gassed in the trenches and shipped back to UK, only to live hell there and die in agony.

Please remember that Nov 11th is Armistice Day! It is a day to remember ALL soldiers who fought in ANY war. It is a day to remember that the only fixed outcome of war is death.

Salvage -1 ,I was watching some documentaries about WWI and trench warfare , hand to hand combat ,the rain ,the mud ,the cold ,the mustard and chlorine gas ,the bombs falling all around you ,both sides digging tunnels under your trench then placing explosives in them and blowing them up from below...........

...just brutal beyond my comprehension.

And that`s why I give those who serve/served, my deepest respect and thanks !!

Paul T

imagesCA08IJ4T.jpg

Don't feel so bad, Veterans Day, Columbus Day, Presidents Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday, are holidays/ days off for government workers, the rest of have to work!!!

Until recent years our school district had the day off. Now due to input of teachers and area veterans, school is in session. The thought is that students are far more likely to focus on Veteran's Day while at school than at home playing video games or shopping at the mall.

It's a shame that many including my wife don't get an important day like Veterans Day off but boy you get several days off for Christmas, which not everybody celebrates btw.

Every Memorial day Me, and other vets and families spend our time remembering our fallen. This time of year- I celebrate still being alive, and maybe try not to count some scars...and no booze anymore either. ;)
Day off-day on....all I know is that starting tommorrow there's restaurants, and most importantly- !!!!!Krispy Kreme doughnut shop!!!! that are offering vets free food. So my day is going to start at Krispy Kreme-for my !!!!!!FREE DOUGHNUT & COFFEE!!!!!! Then I may yummy down my way around town till Monday afternoon. ;)
Happy-or at least a very respectable Armistice, Rememberence Day too, and Oh yeah, You're Welcome,it was an honor-. Semper-FI!
Eric:)

After an unscheduled week off from work due to Sandy, we were asked by the HR dept. to work on Election Day and Veteran's day "if at all possible"...

I'm going to the local remembrance day ceremony with my son the we will both go to work. Things need doing and bills need to be paid. God bless and keep all our vets and my deepest gratitude to those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

My wife sent me a list of places that offer free meals to vets on Nov. 11. I sent it to 2 people where I work as that is all the veterans that I could think of. The wife and I plan on going to Olive Garden tomorrow and both of us will get a free meal.

Back