Not Rockets But There Is Fiberglass

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkadams001

Reaction score
I have been participating in a few threads about West Systems epoxy, Fiberglass, fillers, and bondo. So, I thought that I would share with you a project I did a few years ago for Big Kahunas Marketplace at the Waikiki Shopping Plaza.

I was given a sketch from a designer to build surfboard photo prop for people to pose on in front of a mural of a wave. It had to be strong enough to support several people and be bolted to the ground. The surfboard was made of wood and the base is wood and fiberglass.

The photos below show part of the build of the base. The base had a hourglass shape so I built the frame and wrapped it with strips of plywood. Next, I used a heavy fiberglass cloth and West Systems epoxy to over-laminate the woodwork. The next day I cut off the excess wood and fiberglass and flushed up the top and bottom. The initial filling of the fiberglass was West Systems epoxy with 410 Microlight filler to fill the coarse cloth. After that, we finished the bodywork with bondo and proceeded with the priming and painting.

It was a lot of fun to build and I think a good example of using epoxy, fillers, and fiberglass.

Surfboard Sketch.jpg

surfboard_01.JPG

surfboard_02.JPG

surfboard_03.JPG

surfboard_04.JPG

Back