not easily satisfied...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elapid

Reaction score
i had to build something extremely cool while my wife is away...
i have always loved the Sandhawk, ever since...well, for a really long time!
:D

here's my scratch-built 2.6", 38mm Sandia Sandhawk.
just test-fitting the TTW fins and thought she looked awesome...

i like the SH, I have a 4" that will fly on a 1400 NS K before the end of the month. I cant wait

i may have to build a Terrier booster now...

thanks guys!

make sure you have provisions for some type of interstage in the SH, I did Rods with mine, but a coupler may work for that size

i didn't really cosider that (staging) when i built this one...
so, you used something like 3 - 1/4" brass tubes in the sustainer to locate 3 similarly positioned rods in the booster? that ought to work well.

how about shear pins?

there's about an inch or two between the aft CR and the end of the tube, so there's almost enough room to use a coupler by itself...

i would say you need the tubes if you only have an inch. I used 4 3/8" (ID) brass tubes that 4 3/8" (OD) aluminum tubes slide into. that is kindof alot for a rocket this size, I have seen people use 1/4" carbon fiber rod on similiar sized rockets.

If I were you I would buy some carbon Fiber rod and tube in 1/4" from mcmaster or similiar place. Then drill holes in the CRs in the sustainer and insert them, then glue the rods into the interstage. SHould work fine.

Originally posted by Ryan S.
If I were you I would buy some carbon Fiber rod and tube in 1/4" from mcmaster or similiar place. Then drill holes in the CRs in the sustainer and insert them, then glue the rods into the interstage. SHould work fine.

You can get carbon rods from a hobby shop... they have a use in kites. IIRC, the hobby store up the street sells them for ~$7 apeice for three feet. You can get aluminum or brass tubes for these rods to mate with in the sustainer.

Put a 54 in the bottom, J460T to J350W, and let 'er rip! Sounds like a fun project, Elapid!

i don't know how wise it is to use dissimilar metals, as a small current can be generated causing either a spark or corrosion of the contact surfaces, or both...aluminum might be ok since it's always oxidized on the surface...

after i set the lab on fire with a static discharge, i consider those possibilities...

hey gerbs..

think BIG!
i never said the booster would be limited to 38mm

how about K1100T ---> J350

money shot!
well, best i can do until i get to a launch
;)

Ooh, that's slick. Nice paint job. What motor are you thinking of using for the first flight?

like an I195J for the shakedown flight
i still have some details to paint, but it is one of my better ones... thanks!

Nice job! Can't wait to hear a launch report!

Loopy

Back