Noseless Goblin now Pointy Nose Goblin

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now to tie the shock cord to the fishing snap swivel.
I've been using a double bowline knot because it is simple for me to remember and I put a small dab of yellow glue on the knot to secure it.
Some lines knot easier than others- it seems to me that kevlar doesn't knot very well. If you search the internet you find a lot of knots, some that are stated to work well with slippery line. I've found some knots that look good but I can't remember them so I go back to the knot that I can remember and put the dab of glue on it.

I just use a bowline knot. Then I use wood glue to hold the lines in place.

Sometimes I'll follow the bowline knot with 2 overhand knots.

I can send you a scan of my Boy Scout Handbook and a video, it was a First Class rank requirement.
Here is my bowline knot tied with 50 pound polyester kite line. I can tighten the knot, but the knot just pops open. It loosens itself.

I must be misunderstanding something about a step in tying this knot.

1B15CD3C-EF45-4C3F-ACB5-25EE768B0243.jpeg

1454A442-E9E7-46FD-88B9-2A52E2249F51.jpeg

If I try to tighten it, it does this:

11DAC4CE-D606-468D-AC65-97051E7F952A.jpeg

Maybe it is the super slippery line. I am going to try this with a different kind of string.

I think you are.

When I tie it with 100 or 300 pound kevlar, it loosens up slightly over time (without glue to hold it in place), but it doesn't unravel.
@smstachwick

OK. Here is the bowline tied using 120 pound dacron polyester kite line. It holds.

Hmm. Maybe the super slippery 50 pound line is just bad for tying knots?

A1672168-ABB0-4EC6-AB42-C8E640D1FC2E.jpeg

Here is my bowline knot tied with 50 pound polyester kite line. I can tighten the knot, but the knot just pops open. It loosens itself.

I must be misunderstanding something about a step in tying this knot.

View attachment 526968

View attachment 526969

If I try to tighten it, it does this:

View attachment 526970

Maybe it is the super slippery line. I am going to try this with a different kind of string.
That first one looks a bit like a sheet bend. It’s a close relative of the bowline and is tied similarly but is mainly used to join lines of different thicknesses together instead of creating a loop.

Difficult to tell without clearly seeing which part is the excess, though.

For reference, I don’t think you’ll find a much clearer diagram and picture than these. If yours looked like these at any point, I’d call it safe to pin it on the line.

8D737A4A-D31B-4ECA-9B32-B7385150C0C6.jpeg

DEB4DED3-DF4B-4C8A-83F5-9872675098C6.jpeg

That first one looks a bit like a sheet bend. It’s a close relative of the bowline and is tied similarly but is mainly used to join lines of different thicknesses together instead of creating a loop.
Looking at these images it seems that I've been doing the bowline wrong! I learned it almost 50 years ago when I was doing a lot of fishing and haven't used it since, until I started tying kevlar last year. Apparently I remembered it slightly differently. Now I have to compare both versions to see how they compare.
What I'm doing wrong- in step 1. the cord end goes through the loop from the back, I was doing it from the front, with everything else the same.

Back