Noseless Goblin now Pointy Nose Goblin

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job on the build. I'm digging the pointed nose cone on this. I think it's a huge improvement over stock. I always felt like the stock Goblin was nothing more than a Der Red Max with an extra fin.

When flying mine on B and C motors I use a 9" chute with a small 2 inch spill hole. When flying on D motors I use a very small 6 inch chute and a chrome streamer for visibility.

Seemed like my luck was terrible when flying with only streamers as the darn thing would find any hard surface it could to land on and break a fin. Not a joke, I flew it once in a grassy field that was probably 1000' square. There was one small rock on one one side of the field that was maybe 10" long and the darn thing landed right on it :(

Can't wait to see the finished rocket.

I would need to add one more launch lug a little farther up.

It might not need the clay in the nose if it is this long.

I am going to sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning.
I wouldn’t call lug placement exceptionally critical on an airframe of this size, especially since you’re splitting the lug.

Nice. The B6-4 is a great motor in a stock weight Goblin. I found out accidently that you don't need nose weight if you fly them on 18mm motors. The nose weight is only needed when flying the heavier 24mm motors. I lost the nose cone to one of mine at some point and had to get a replacement. In my rush to fly I forgot that the Goblin had nose weight. I got a few successful flights on 18mm then put a C11 in it and it decided to sky write. Little nose weight fixed it right up.

If I ever build another one it will probably be an 18mm version. I can't justify flying it on a 24mm around here. I don't have the space to fly like I use to.

Last edited:
First coat of primer being sanded off.

This is why I always launch my rockets on low and medium power rocket engines, relative to the rocket’s weight. When I spend this much time and effort giving the rocket a nice paint job, I kind of want it back.

60A894E6-CC2E-4B35-B0D7-302F51CA1892.jpeg

I found on a cheap silver I used with a LOC Weasel, without a clear coat the finger prints on the silver were terrible.

I’d say this is less Wicked Witch and more like the Tin Man!

Ok, the clear coat is on. Now she just needs a parachute. I can’t say the clear coat enhanced the look very much. It was an old can and the clear, gloss coat came out a bit “spitty”. I think I will omit the clear coat in the future unless the underlying paint is truly a “flat” finish.

CBAEF85F-B14B-4F02-AAC4-0A01A3D9F8A2.jpeg

3A59F44D-3B7C-4E62-9DF9-596F8DF5D701.jpeg

That looks great! Should be a spectacular flight, easy to spot that one in the sunlight on the way down.

PS-many thanks!

Back