nosecone tether on payloader?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Reaction score
fairly new BAR back here - how many people put a tether on the nosecone on a payload rocket?

Currently putting together an aerotech arreaux as the next step up from the estes stuff i am used to and was thinking of doing that. If I do should I use some .065 kevlar cord (100lb test) or .1 kevlar cord (300lb test) I have both of those and think the smaller one would be ok since I am not going against the ejection charge, just trying to keep it with the rocket

Thanks

Steve

I recently scratch built a rocket with an altimeter bay. The night before the launch I thought about losing the nosecone even though I used masking tape for a fairly tight fit. I didn't have any kevlar or anything similar so I looked around the house and finally used a shoelace to tether it. The nosecone stayed in place for the flight so it wasn't needed but it can't hurt.

Last edited:
I lost a nose cone on my first L1 attempt because I didn't use a tether. I had the NC friction fit to the payload section with tape also. It had never come loose on several G engine flights. I think the extra BP provided in HP reloads provided enough kick to jar it loose. I later found the NC and taped it externally on my 2nd L1 attempt. Now I have it tethered.

thanks - any thoughts on the lighter vs heavier kevlar I have? I think the light would work fine in this application

thanks - any thoughts on the lighter vs heavier kevlar I have? I think the light would work fine in this application

I agree. The nosecone should not come off with such force that you would need heavy kevlar.

i'd definately go with the tether, but unless something goes very wrong, then the lighter kevlar cord should be enougth, the nose cone should not be popping off anyway.

thanks all - did go with the heavier kevlar since I currently have more on hand. Flew it 3 times last saturday and on the first one the NC was seperated but that may have been on landing as I think it was still on while coming down. it didnt seperate the other 2 times. Flew great on 2 F20-7W econjets and a F26-9FJ.

Using the 100 lb. Kevlar was fine since you had some on hand, but actually just about any kind of twine or cord would have been suitable since it would not have needed to withstand exposure to high heat. I use short, light leashes (cords) to keep the nose cones together with the payload sections of my rockets, too. None have actually been put to the test yet, but I like having the insurance.

MarkII

On my payloaders I use a flat nylon strap (1/4"). Attach securely to the nosecone and bulkhead and twist the cone until it is tight. The twisting action will shorten the cord as it twists up and will hold the cone securely in place.

Back