Nosecone ballast

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetricRocketeer

Member of the US Metric Association
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi TRF colleagues,

Eventually, I hope to construct a LOC/Precision Warlock for an L2 attempt. I have already bought the kit, weighed the components, and did a dry fit. I have not yet painted anything or actually built the rocket.

I have put the rocket together on OpenRocket and RockSim using the weight measurements that I took during the dry fit, although I have not yet accounted for hardware, paint, or epoxy. I definitely intend to use the Aero Pack 38 mm Retainer, and its weight is not yet accounted for either. I purchased the Motor Mount Adapter from LOC/Precision so that I can fit a 38 mm motor insider the 54 mm motor-mount tube. I intend to use something like a Cesaroni J335 for my motor.

So here’s the issue, please.

I have made many successful simulations using OR and RS, but my stability measurements — while always positive — are quite low in both programs. In OpenRocket, for example, with a J335 engine mounted my stability margin comes to 0.227 calibers or about 3.4%. Without an engine the stability margin comes to 0.611 calibers or approximately 9.0%. I have uploaded my .ork file.

I would really like to avoid adding ballast to the nosecone. And anyway, this is a purchased kit. The instructions do not mention the need for ballast, and none is sold with the rocket kit.

Since I have successfully simmed the rocket with a number of J-impulse motors in both OR and RS, may I safely assume that I do not need to add weight to the nosecone despite the rather low stability values?

Thank you.

Stanley

Attachments

• loc_warlock-edited.ork
    332.2 KB · Views: 0
That's a very short stubby rocket. Did you apply the base drag hack?
Hi @JoePfeiffer,

Wow! That tremendously changed things. Now the stability is quite good.

I wanted to post the new .ork file to confirm that I have set this up correctly. I added a transition with almost no mass (0.001 grams), a minuscule forward diameter (.001 cm), an aft diameter equal to the diameter of the body tube (19.5 cm), and a length equal to pi*body-diameter.

Stanley

Attachments

• loc_warlock-edited.ork
    331.5 KB · Views: 0
Back