Nosecone and transition 3D model generators for openSCAD

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, so you will not be able to edit the document at the link I sent (as it is in my own workspace). You should, however, be able to copy the document into your own workspace to edit, or import the featurescript macros into a document that you create.

To import the NC featurescript into your doc. Try,
1) creating a new OnShape document
2) Go up to top right hand corner, click on the "+". You should see a pop-up "add custom features"
3) On the bigger dialog box that pops up, click on ""other documents tab", and "public". Type (in quotes) "NC Generator" into the text search bar.
You should see "NC Generator" V2 in the box below.
4) Click on "NC generator" with the icon
5) Now, in the upper right hand corner, you should see "RF" and "NC" in little boxes
6) Cilck on the "x" on custom features pop-op.
7) Click on the NC square box. You should see "NC Geneator 1" over on your parts. And a dialog box with all the NC parameters. There will be an error message "NC Generator 1 did not regenerate properly" This is normal, until you fill iln you values.
8) Fill in your NC parameters

Still a lot of bugs in parameters to work. (Seems to only work for L between 4 and 9).

LMK if this work. Regards, Curtis

I'm also working on on a fin can generator.

upload_2018-12-9_10-50-6.png

upload_2018-12-9_10-52-13.png
upload_2018-12-9_10-52-44.png
upload_2018-12-9_10-55-19.png
upload_2018-12-9_11-21-56.png
upload_2018-12-9_11-20-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-9_10-54-2.png
    upload_2018-12-9_10-54-2.png
    500.3 KB · Views: 44
  • upload_2018-12-9_11-0-45.png
    upload_2018-12-9_11-0-45.png
    483.6 KB · Views: 26
  • upload_2018-12-9_11-19-21.png
    upload_2018-12-9_11-19-21.png
    441.5 KB · Views: 28
Any luck with a copy?

The basic limitation of OnShape free accounts is that you can only have one document that is private. All your others are viewable. That would be a problem for corporations and others with proprietary designs and data.

Curtis, I made a copy of your nose cone and modified the Parabolic settings for a project I am working on. I have a question on the thickness setting. It says to enter '0' for a solid, and at '.5' (like in your example, the wall looks pretty thick. I tried entering '.25' but the nose cone disappears from the screen when I do that. Am I doing something wrong? An how do I make the wall thickness thinner?

***I figured it out. The thickness setting does not like two decimal places e.g. '0.25'. I was able to change it by setting it to '0.3', for example.

Last edited:
Any luck with a copy?

The basic limitation of OnShape free accounts is that you can only have one document that is private. All your others are viewable. That would be a problem for corporations and others with proprietary designs and data.
Is it possible to make a generator that allows you to break up joinable parts of the nose cone?

Is it possible to make a generator that allows you to break up joinable parts of the nose cone?
Yes. I know the OnShape scripting stuff is pretty much like Java or Python ... you can pretty much do anything, although the learning curve is probably steeper and a lot of the low-level functions are geometry related. But I'm not sure how "canned" joints and seems are in OnShape. "Mate parts" is not something that I have mastered yet, either as part of the regular operations or the scripting.

Back