Nosecone ablative coating testers needed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jderimig

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Anyone planning on going very high mach (3+) soon? I have an ablative coating for nosecones under development and I am looked for test flyers.

Here's the deal. You ship me the nosecone and I will coat it and return to you. You fly and let me know how it did.

Deal is you have to fly it relatively soon because I cannot afford to coat alot of cones that sit around for a long time without flying.

PM me if you have any interest.

--jd

John you might have to post in many sites and post often so you have a better chance to reach these folks. I expect not many routinely go to Mach 3 land very often plus having a venue to support that would be limiting.
Would be cool if you'd post pictures of the results. I saw Robert DeHates pictures of a rocket that was like above Mach for 28 seconds and it was pretty fried up. Nosecone burned and the fin leading edges were delaminating something fierce.
Kurt

I did a first attempt at a spray coating last week and my spray gun couldn't spray the coating. Even though I reduced the solution the filler material aglomerated and plugged the spray tip. I am going to buy a cheap Harbor Freight gun and drill out the spray tip to 2.0mm or larger and try that. Problem is I am running out of outdoor sprayable days here in Ohio...

For initial testing I will hit the coating with a torch to see if the coating actually ablates.

I did a first attempt at a spray coating last week and my spray gun couldn't spray the coating. Even though I reduced the solution the filler material aglomerated and plugged the spray tip. I am going to buy a cheap Harbor Freight gun and drill out the spray tip to 2.0mm or larger and try that. Problem is I am running out of outdoor sprayable days here in Ohio...

For initial testing I will hit the coating with a torch to see if the coating actually ablates.

I quit spraying in the garage when I felt "grit" on our vehicles. The spray booth was inadequate. Took acetone on a paper towel and got red, green and blue on the white towel.. Ah oh. Fortunately it was rattle can enamel and wiped right off with acetone without harming the finish of the cars. Stupidhead struck again!!

I know you're in a different situation with the ablative coating but I do get away with sneaking outside when it's cold and getting away with spraying primer.
Turns out o.k. and then do color when it warms up in the spring. Kurt

I think 2.0 is used for fairly heavy primers...
You should find that at Harbor Freight
without having to drill a tip out...

Teddy

I know you're in a different situation with the ablative coating but I do get away with sneaking outside when it's cold and getting away with spraying primer.
Turns out o.k. and then do color when it warms up in the spring. Kurt

The coating is catalyzed I think I need 55F to kick-off the reaction. Maybe I can build a small greenhouse.....

The coating is catalyzed I think I need 55F to kick-off the reaction. Maybe I can build a small greenhouse.....
Hoo boy! Don't get it on your vehicles then! :facepalm: I suspect you're spraying in an area away from where overspray can be a problem. Don't trash a spouse's car as there was heck to pay in my house. Even though I knew it was very
fixable and I brought the shine right back up. I was off the hook then. Kurt

Hoo boy! Don't get it on your vehicles then! :facepalm: I suspect you're spraying in an area away from where overspray can be a problem. Don't trash a spouse's car as there was heck to pay in my house. Even though I knew it was very
fixable and I brought the shine right back up. I was off the hook then. Kurt

I do alot of automotive spray and touch up cars at home. Overspray is a fact of life, but fortunately clay bar removes it all. Even catalyzed clears. Try it next time you get some overspray to clean.

Back