Quantcast

nose cones for Launch Pad kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Kidwoosh

Reaction score
Has anyone found a better way to build the nose cone fairing on any of the Launch Pad line?. I just can't bring myself to waste the time with the paper cone used on so many of the kits.Considering that most require nose weight anyway,would building it up with a Bondo type filler and turning on the drill press be better?

Thanks to all,Kurt J.

eugenefl

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey there Kurt. I've pretty much heard of people sawing off the plastic tip and replacing the rest of the cone (and paper hat) with a balsa piece. I figure the Bondo might work, but if it's weighted you might have some trouble keeping it affixed to the plastic cone. Either way, I totally agree with your assessment of the paper cone. I don't like it myself and would almost prefer to not have a tip at all.

sandman

Reaction score
I just make a whole new nose cone out of balsa...save the kit one for another project.

sandman

eugenefl

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Originally posted by sandman
I just make a whole new nose cone out of balsa...save the kit one for another project.

sandman
Yeah, and you could whittle a canoe with a sail out of a toothpick if you had to. :D

sandman

Reaction score
Yeah, and you could whittle a canoe with a sail out of a toothpick if you had to.
I could but, I'd have to charge for that...I do take Paypal:rolleyes:

sandman

Kidwoosh

Reaction score
I'm going to try drilling small holes to aid in retention,and using the original cone for a mold.I'll probably try using water to delaminate the paper leaving a good surface to true and fill.When I think about it,the volume of filler between the plastic cone and paper form really won't be much.If it works,I'll pass on the experience.Thanks to all,Kurt J.