Nose cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think many will say something along the lines of: "budget for a lathe". In the meantime, one can get wax paper and superglue and roll paper.

But I've built less than 20 rockets, so I'll let others take over the advice-giving.

Lathe, 3D-printing, or a series of stacked transitions using cardstock (see the Cardstock Rocketry subforum for some good examples). Or carve it out of foam and then glass the whole thing.

I use a 3D printer to make mine. It gives lots of options for getting the shape and strength right. For payload carriers it can be useful to pack some objects inside the nosecone, for example batteries, giving them good protection and moving the CG forward.

I tried to use a drill press instead of a lathe. The results with styrofoam, balsa, and pine blocks were all disappointing.

I fly LPRs and I make my nosecones on a wood lathe that has a NOVA wood chuck. I've made nosecones out of balsa, basswood, cedar, sitka, redwood, etc. If the design calls for weight in the nosecone I'll just use a denser wood.

Attachments

• NoseconeCedar.jpg
    NoseconeCedar.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 0
  • NoseconeCedar2.jpg
    NoseconeCedar2.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 0
  • NoseconeSitka.jpg
    NoseconeSitka.jpg
    469 KB · Views: 0
Back